HAM Radio Club?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Blacksmith Apprentice

HAM Radio Club?

Post by Blacksmith Apprentice »

When Barbara and I bought our 10 acres in August on West Side Drive about a mile north of Tara's Meadow, we realized there was no cell phone coverage. So I got a Amateur Extra HAM radio license last fall (KE8HSH) with the idea that if we there on a visit, we could use a portable HAM radio to communicate any emergencies or to communicate back home.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it practical?

Bob Yager
Oakland Township MI 48306
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Bob,

Are you going to have internet? We have same issue on South Side Lake G. I have found a Magic Jack phone that I hook up to my modem is a great solution. It is less than $60.00 and we have unlimited long distance. We actually got rid of our landline downstate and just bring the hookup with us when we come north.

Kathe
conanconnor

Post by conanconnor »

I always use CB radios.
King Conan
stardust

10-4 good buddy

Post by stardust »

I have a home on east side dr I use a Verizon Hot spot for phone internet and amazon fire stick for tv. $60.00 a month
Fred Kellaway

Post by Fred Kellaway »

I have the same question. I got a hand-held two way radio for frequencies 136-174 MHz and 400-520 MHz. I'd like to be able to use it in an emergency if there's no phone service in the cabin or if I'm outside and can't get to the cabin to phone. No cellular in either place. I have a HAM license.
I asked the sheriff's office and am waiting to hear whether I could use one of their frequencies.
If not, it seems like using 146.52 MHz could work to contact a HAM user and ask them to call 911 for me. 156.80 is supposed to be used only in the marine setting but would probably be ok in an emergency...
Then there is 462.675 which is described as "for emergency communications and traveler assistance in the general mobile radio service" -- I'm not sure if that would work.
Kellaway
JohnAckermann

Post by JohnAckermann »

Hi -- I'm a ham (call N8UR) and have a modest station at our cottage on East Side Drive.

There is a repeater system located on a tower in Stutsmanville (I hope I spelled that right) on the mainland that is easy to access from a car or even a handheld radio on the east side. I am not sure how it works on the west side, though. If I were able to spend more time on the Island, I'd be very interested in putting up a local system.

Ham radio is a great resource for emergency communications, but for those listening in -- you can't use it for business purposes, and the FCC puts some rules on content.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you'd like to chat more. My email is jra at febo.com.

John
Fred Kellaway

reply to John

Post by Fred Kellaway »

I was able to hear one of the Stutsmanville repeaters but not able to transmit to anyone using it. I think it's because of my location just west of Angeline's Bluff on the west side of the island. But I now have a bigger antenna for my hand-held and will try again next time I'm there. My call is KD8EVW. Possibly I could put a repeater on the bluff but probably not worth it.
I did find out from the Emergency Services manager on the mainland that no one is legally supposed to use the frequencies designated for the police, fire, etc., although he said that if you were in danger of life or limb, you can see that someone might choose to do so and ask forgiveness later if still alive. Likewise, not supposed to use the marine distress frequency.
If I can't get a radio to work at my place, I will probably just extend wifi outside and use my cell, but that will only work so far from the cabin.
Kellaway
JohnAckermann

Post by JohnAckermann »

Fred, you may have already done this, but you need to program a PL tone into your radio in order to key those repeaters. The 146.68 machine uses 110.9 Hz.
Sailorman Larry

Ham Radio

Post by Sailorman Larry »

K8SME on HF mostly 40 meters located on the NE tip of the island.
Larry Hansz
Fred Kellaway

PL tones

Post by Fred Kellaway »

yes, I did program the PL tone frequencies for both RX and TX. I also programmed a second channel with those frequencies reversed just in case.
Kellaway
Fred Kellaway

40 m band

Post by Fred Kellaway »

Larry, you must be able to go pretty far with that band. My radio doesn't include that band unfortunately.
Kellaway
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

What is the best option for phone and internet on the island. Iâ??m researching a move to the island. It seems when I was last there I had poor service with att. What is the most reliable service or is there no service on certain parts of the island. Can you have a landline anywhere? Do many of the islanders use the HAM radio or just a few? Reading and learning from your posts. Thanks. Tania
Fred Kellaway

phone and internet

Post by Fred Kellaway »

I don't know what the best option is but I use TDS for phone and DSL internet and am satisfied. It has almost never gone down. The speed is good enough for movies. I'm only checking into HAM stuff for outside emergencies or if the phone/internet went out.
Kellaway
Roger

Re: HAM Radio Club?

Post by Roger »

I am new to this forum. I am actively looking for some property to buy; I will be working with Ed Wojun. I am a Technician class Ham. I think I will start studying to move up in class. I was thinking it would be kind of a novelty for someone to get a QSL card from Beaver Island. Are there any fulltime residents who are Hams? It would be good to have a club there. As for me, I will just be a summer resident, but I think I could still join a club, right?

Anyone know of a good piece of property for a small agricultural venture? I thought I found one, but it turned out to be clay soil. It may take me a while to find something to my liking, so don't look for me soon.
Johnson

Re: HAM Radio Club?

Post by Johnson »

During International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend, August 2018: a ham radio operator and fan/yearly visitor to the island, set up solar panels, generator and antenna at Whiskey Point. He successfully contacted 45 other folks in NY, NJ, New Brunswick and other lighthouse locations. You can read about next month in the Northern Islander and see the CQ Whiskey Point card soon!
https://illw.net/