Forum Rules | FAQ | Memberlist | Private Messages

Main Discussion Forum | Marketplace / Trade Forum 
Peaine Township - Recreation Plan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beaver Island Forum Index -> Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peaine Township

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 am 
Post subject: Peaine Township - Recreation Plan

[url]PEAINE TOWNSHIP
2018 – 2022 RECREATION PLAN

Local units of government, such as Peaine Township, are eligible to apply for grant assistance from the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund (the “MNRTF”) as well as the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund (the “LWCF”).

To be eligible for MNRTF and/or LWCF grants, applicants must periodically submit updated recreation plans to the Grants Management Section of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (the “MDNR”). Information relating to the preparation and submission of recreation plans are available at http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-58225_58672_58676-294106--,00.html

The Township will update its recreation plan over the next several months and is now soliciting public input. The current recreation plan, which was adopted in 2013, is available at http://www.peainetwp.org/government_departments/boards_and_commissions/planning_commission/recreation_plans.php#

The Township adopted its first recreation plan in 2013. Some notable developments since that plan was adopted include:
• The Township is negotiating formal, written leases with the MDNR which cover the Bill Wagner Campground, Cables Creek Beach Access, the Lake Geneserath Boat Access, the Greene’s Lake Boat Access and the Martin’s Bluff Scenic Outlook.
• A comprehensive plan for the Beaver Island Water Trail has been completed.
• The Beaver Island Archipelago Trails Association has been formed and works directly with the MDNR to maintain and improve trails on State-owned lands.
• The Township acquired a 20-acre parcel of land on Fox Lake with a grant from the MNRTF.
• The MDNR initiated a planning process for State-owned lands, generally referred to as the Northern Lake Michigan Islands Collaborative.

The Township board has discussed the plan and anticipates that future projects may include:
• Ongoing enhancements to infrastructure associated with the water trail;
• Stairs leading to the beach at the Martin’s Bluff Scenic Outlook;
• Improvements to the boat launch at the Fox Lake access site; and
• A trail leading directly to the recently acquired 20-acre parcel on Fox Lake

Residents and non-residents are invited to review the current recreation and forward written comments to peainetownship@gmail.com. Written comments may also be mailed to the Peaine Township Supervisor, P.O. Box 26, Beaver Island MI 49782.

A tentative timeline for the planning process follows:
• Post existing plan with comments - week of January 8, 2018
• Review comments; draft new plan - February 1 through February 28, 2018
• Review revised draft at the Township’s regular meeting to be held on March 14, 2018
• Begin 30-day review period from March 15, 2018 through April 15, 2018
• Adopt the recreation plan at public hearing to be held on May 9, 2018[/url]
BradG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Post subject:

I understand the current boat launch at Wagner campground is not going to be continued. It was unusable all of last year. Is there a plan for a better launch either there or in town?

Brad G
Pam Grassmick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

Islanders-voters, non-voters, and visitors have until February 1st to provide input into Peaine Township's Recreation Plan. Should the island's townships wish to apply for state grants to improve the future recreational opportunities, it must show public interest and input. There is no further public input to the next 5 years of recreational planning.

The previous recreation plan obtained from public surveys and public forums included:

[b]The top ranked items for township planning based on responses:

o Continue to expand and develop an invasive species program
o Preserve biodiversity and protect threatened and endangered species
o Expand the number of walking/hiking trails and connect them
o Increase and connect bike paths around theIsland
o Do more to support eco---friendly sports: kayaking, canoeing, birding hiking,
biking, photography
o Do more to preserve natural areas to enhance ecotourism opportunities
o Develop more recreational services for youth
o Develop more recreational facilities for the elderly
o Develop ways to make recreational sites and trails more handicapped
accessible
o Improve boat launching facilities
o Improve access and amenities on the InlandLakes

Peaine Township's Recreation Plan only has a few days to provide public input. Send your thoughts to Bill Kohls, Supervisor for Peaine Township.
Pam Grassmick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:36 pm 
Post subject:

BUMP at 430 views.
medic5740

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm 
Post subject: Adopted?

I found the Recreation Plan thanks to Pam's link and with help from Krys Lyle. I cannot, however, find any minutes that show any resolution that this plan was ever adopted. If it was adopted, why would it not be in the minutes? I watched videos of meetings back in 2013 and did not find this adoption either.

It is certainly possible that I missed this. Can someone fill me in on this?

Joe Moore
Richards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am 
Post subject: opinion

Six months of the year, Beaver Island's average temperature falls below 40*F. With this in mind, I would hope that our island recreation plan takes into consideration the recreational needs of those who reside here year around.

The recreational facility that I envision would include:
- indoor pool for exercise and senior health
- indoor track
- a few exercise machines
- climbing wall
- play space for toddlers

This facility would meet many of the recreational needs of those living here year round.
BI Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:20 am 
Post subject:

My guess is that Peaine Township Hall is only utilized about 10% of the time for meetings. It might be the ideal place for a heated therapy pool, indoor walking track, outdoor running track, a few exercise machines and space for toddlers. The only thing that might not fit is a climbing wall. However, I know there have been times when people have attended meetings and virtually climbed the walls. Let's call it a virtual climbing wall. Rolling Eyes Very Happy Wink

Last edited by BI Pirate on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Richards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 am 
Post subject:

I totally agree with the location. Just yesterday, an elected official mentioned how little the Peaine Township Hall was used. This exercise facility could be an arm of the existing building.

Pirate, as always, you bring merriment to my heart:) Thanks
BI Pirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:37 am 
Post subject:

Thank you! I had to go in and edit a couple of typos but my text remains basically the same. I don't want the "meadefamily" to think it's a bait and switch. Embarassed Razz Wink
Richards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

Interestingly, in looking over the previous recreation plan from 2012, an "Island Fitness Center" is mentioned on Pg. 17 #5. Stating:

"5) Develop an Island fitness center
The need for year-round indoor recreation space for community residents and visitors has been
discussed for more several decades, including the possibility of building a private health club. But the
Island community only has limited resources (local and “imported”) to pay for major infrastructure
projects and then the operating and program costs. In the past decade much of that capacity has been
used to pay for the Beaver Island Rural Health Center facility and operations and the Beaver Island
Community Center facility and operations—both major accomplishments. The Beaver Island Community
School has explored the possibility of creating a small fitness center attached to the school and included
this in recent plans for remodeling/expanding the school, but this was a small space intended only for
student use. This project is important for recreation and also for the physical health of Islanders. Ideas
for the fitness center were prominent in the survey comments and included the desire for a large room
for classes(not devoted solely to physical therapy), an indoor walking track, a place for indoor sports,
and an indoor swimming pool. Real marketing analysis must be done to avoid the “build it and they will
come” syndrome.
Peaine Township along with St. James Township will seek to partner with the Beaver Island school
system and the Beaver Island Rural Health Center to develop a realistic business plan for creating a
fitness center that meets the Island’s needs and would leverage school district resources, grants, and
donations from Island year-round and seasonal residents. (Goals/Objectives addressed: 2A, 3A)"

Looks like they were on the right "track" Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beaver Island Forum Index -> Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: