Township Consolidation Update

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I will have a strong argument of the fact that you think all the township officials and trustees do not need their jobs. I think that is another poll that need to be put in place. It is for no one to decide on if they need there jobs to survive or not. I think it is borderline rude for anyone to place this consolidation idea in place and try to act on it 2 years before the elected officials terms run out. What's the big hurry, try the consolidation in 2020 if it is such a good idea. I don't think the officials would have ran for 4 year term if they really didn't want it. They might need the jobs and they might need the money. At least they all thought they had both until the next general election. It is not up to anyone to speculate their financial status. Let's ask them?. I also believe that the Peaine township Supervisor and Treasurer as well as the St. James Supervisor and Clerk are retired.
So perfect for the positions, a lot of free time to invest into their jobs. I would ask the officials if they would consider doing the jobs of 2 Townships for double their current salaries. I would bet no. So we want to create all full time jobs for the new townships officials and trustees. You know Carol as well as I the cost of survival on Beaver Island. You are not going to get a retired person to do it. You want someone to work for the taxpayers full time? You will have to make these positions very good jobs to attract the right people for them. Full time jobs, benefits, vacation time, retirement plans, attractive salaries. You also know the cost of an employee with no benefits being in business. I as a taxpaying Peaine Township resident do not want to see the cost to live on Beaver Island to continue to go up. I agree changes need to be made to continue to attract more tourists and new residents to our Island. This consolidation is not the answer. The cost to get it done will be expensive and the cost to operate one township will be more than the current two. Until some solid good answers are presented the whole idea is senseless.

John McCafferty
Jimmy McCafferty

Township consolidation

Post by Jimmy McCafferty »

Copy of the article on Michigan Townships is available at the Beaver Island Library. It is in printed form if anyone is interested
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

If consolidation of townships with a small population is a good idea I was wondering if there is any history of any doing it in Michigan so maybe we could look at figures from their savings on the consolidation?

John McCafferty.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

If BI consolidates townships there will have to be a new name for the created township. I'm thinking, McCafferty or Islandliving. :roll: :D :shock: :P :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

John McCafferty writes:

The cost to get it done will be expensive and the cost to operate one township will be more than the current two. Until some solid good answers are presented the whole idea is senseless.

I would suggest since you are asking EVERYONE to back up their statements with facts that you do the same. We all look forward to your facts to back up your statements. Otherwise it's just "the sky is falling, the sky is falling".......
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

K. A. Pike, if you read back through the post, I donâ??t believe Iâ??ve ever made the statement that you quote â??you are asking EVERYONE to back up their statements with factsâ?￾. As I read back through I cannot find that request. I do believe that I am asking the circulators of the petition, the supporters of the consolidation, and the townships to come forward with some solid answers to the questions the public is asking. As of now everything posting on this forum is unsupported opinions and mine are also unsupported opinions. I do believe I am allowed to voice my opinions as are you and everyone else. I will read back through my posts to see if possibly I did ask â??EVERYONE to back up their statements with facts â??. I would encourage you to do the same.

John McCafferty
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I think you've answered my question.

"and mine are also unsupported opinions. I do believe I am allowed to voice my opinions"

Thanks for your "unsupported opinions" and I agree you are allowed to voice your opinions.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

In response to the B.i. Pirate, Both of those names would be great. At least I have the courage to place my name on my opinions when I want to fight for what I believe is right, not hide behind a fictitious name as you have all these years.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

K. A. Pike, I am happy to clear the air on my opinions. I have read back and can not find where I ever stated that my opinions were backed up by any facts. Sorry to be misleading but it seems now you have your answer. Hope your post gave other confused readers answers as well.

John McCafferty
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

John, OUCH! I've always supported your expressing opinions, even agreed with a couple. Have you ever thought of having Non-Consolidation Team jerseys made up? Can't tell the players without a program or team colors at informational meetings. A suggestion, not an opinion, no name required. :D 8) :P :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

John, thanks for confirming: "I have read back and can not find where I ever stated that my opinions were backed up by any facts."

So to be clear these are the OPINIONS of John McCafferty and are not backed by FACTS:

- a horrible idea for the good of Beaver Island
- To combine the townships would not do anything to improve the Island other than put township control in the hands of fewer people
- Saving money? I don't think so
- Won't there be endless hours of work involved in dissolving the 2 townships and re-creating the new one
- I think people that post things like I think it is silly to have two Townships on such a small island are clueless
- The thousands of hours paid to someone to do all the paperwork to dissolve two townships and create one will cost us.
- I think they have no comments because their petition was circulated and signed with little or no research
- If a resident tax payer thinks this is a money saving proposal, wrong. Way wrong
- Sounds like someone is trying to sneak something through in my opinion
- It will be extremely expensive to get done, one township will be more expensive to run after the recovery of the expense of the merger
- Property taxes will for sure go up in Peaine Township
- One Government running the whole island is a horrible idea
- Changing the government to thin the crowd to get a head start is rediculos
- Your taxes will go up as will everyone in Peaine Township, that is the only for sure thing we know about this proposal
- if good solid answers are not given it is because we will be worse off and paying more tax than now.

As much as everyone is seeking an answer, lets not confuse OPINION with FACTS.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thank you K. A. Pike for bringing all my questions and opinions forward. Maybe it will make it easier for the people who should be providing us the answers to questions and the facts to move along. Again thank you for listing out all my questions and OPINIONS.

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

B.I. Pirate, I think it would be obvious at an informational meeting or a public hearing who would be in favor of consolidation and who would not. Although some people are afraid to voice there opinions and beliefs publicly. And some will voice them and hide behind a fictitious name on the forum as yourself. I think the only one who would need a jersey would be you. B.I. Pirate across your back.

John McCafferty
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Wouldn't matter, he would still be wearing a paper bag over his head
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Well I would hope a pirate hat, a patch on his eye and bring along a buccaneer, probably rum wonâ??t be allowed at this kind of meeting, but it would surely help.

John McCafferty