Township Consolidation Update

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

Thanks Richie. I was just curious if there would be additional opportunities available for grants, such as DDA funding associated with a Village incorporation. Thanks again for clarifying.
Brendan McCaw
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Sounds like the consolidation of the two townships would lead to the near doubling the Island's unemployment rate?

Asking we non vote eligible property owners our opinion is a mute point
It is not our jobs at stake...just our supportive role
Or should I say "bankroll"

Everyone votes their pocketbook...
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Here are interesting articles that discuss consolidation.

http://m.houghtonlakeresorter.com/news/ ... l6OUbxOmhB

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammillsa ... a012d83e13

Also, if you google "consolidation of the Village of Onekama and Onekama township" there are two PDFs that were done by an independent group, Citizens research council of Michigan. There is also a slide presentation.

Has anyone done a study of hard facts, not opinions? "Might, should, could" is not enough information for voters to make a choice.

As a home owner, a tax payer and someone who loves this island and the people here I would hope that the discussions in both directions truly look at what is good for not only the survival of this island but the opportunity for this island to flourish and grow.

The group that is for this consolidation:
Can you answer questions presented above by others in forum?
Can you address the debt that St. James has and how it will impact the merger of townships?
Can you give facts about how it will impact jobs and families?

I understand that at the end of the day I don't have a vote, as I am a non-homestead tax payer. But please remember I do have a vote on how I spend my money, how often I come to island and if I decide to retire here. The actions today certainly impact us all.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

To John Bolton's question: I believe that all of the Board Members for each township are sufficiently employed elsewhere. Thus the lack of people lining up to take the jobs. I do not think there is one of them that doesn't already have employment nor do I believe that lively hood relies on these jobs.

I would say that full time pay may mean full time dedication to the island and our tax dollars.

Meede Family: I am not directly involved in this but I am pretty sure that they have not reached a study of hard facts and will be working on that I hope. We are all hoping the island can flourish and grow. As a resident it's not that easy to survive here. So any form of improvement is a big desire of all of us. You may not have a vote but you do have the ear of the island. You and others like you are an important part of the big picture and we value your input.

I will do my best to find someone involved who will start publicly answering these questions? The majority of those in support of looking at this township merger that I have spoken to will not vote yes without solid facts and a laid out plan for the infrastructure of this plan (consolidation).
burton
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Thank you Carol!!
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

CURRENT UPDATE:

The BIC Center and WVBI are organizing a community forum on the township consolidation question that will be up for vote in May. We will not advocate any particular result in the poll. Rather our goal is to provide an opportunity for all to learn about the proposal, ask questions and engage in a community discussion about the question. To that end we will seek out persons who can provide factual information as well as advocates that support consolidation and those who oppose it to serve on a panel that will make initial presentations.

We need your help in planning this event. What questions do you have about consolidation that are unanswered? What are the points you think voters should consider in making their decisions? Who would you like to see making presentations? What format should the forum take? Please send your suggestions to info@biccenter.org or programming@wvbi.net.

The BIC Center will host the event. It will be recorded for broadcast on WVBI and posted as a podcast so those unable to attend can hear the discussion.

We look forward to your input and to a constructive community meeting in April.
burton
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

This is a great idea to have a place to ask questions. However, April for discussion and changes from those discussions may be too late. Still waiting to see the advance plan so that we can ask the right questions. Is there a proposal?
burton
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great ideas Carol, not only is April to late I think it is to late period. No solid answers to any questions. All we got is a whole lot of unsupported opinions with no solid facts. How can we vote on something as big as this with a few people saying it is a good Idea with not even any Idea to the financial impact to the Island. Who knows the cost to consolidate, who knows if it will be less expensive to run just one township, who know taxes will not increase. Is it a good idea to vote jobs away from people. If anything this whole thing should be postponed until the 2020 election so elected terms can be run out and the many unanswered questions answered.

John McCafferty.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

All good points John. I know that it is being worked on and I will try to get some answers out there. I just don't think that we need to even beat the issues until someone starts putting information out there. It's really a waste of energy to debate it until we know what we are debating. Solid points of information have to be shown and that needs to come soon. I will share what I find out.
burton
Donna Kubic

Post by Donna Kubic »

interesting article on the Michigan Township website to read while awaiting more facts to be presented.

https://www.michigantownships.org/twpcritics.asp
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

What an amazingly article posted by Donna Kubic by the Michigan Townships Association. So far the only thing in black and white about the consolidation. My interpretation is that the consolidation is not a good idea by all the studies in the article. I would hope out townships will step up and get a copy of the article to every registered voter in each township. Since it is the only thing I'm aware of that describes why the consolidation is a bad idea. So far only unsupported opinions. No studies, no numbers ect. I can understand why the consolidation was not the townships idea as Quoted by Alice Belfy, St. James Township Clerk. I also understand why only 1 township official signed the petition. Basically signing your job away. I hope everyone takes the time to read the latest article and keeps pushing on the townships and the supporters of the consolidation for solid answers and numbers we are looking for. I would think the supporters would be leaping forward with all of their information to get us educated on their great idea of consolidating our Island townships. Please read The article of the Michigan Townships Association. And if any township board members are reading this talk your boards into educating voters. Help us all understand.

John McCafferty
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

I read the article as well and many of the other articles. It is good reading and food for thought but not necessarily a reason why not. Back in the day I am sure it was necessary to have two townships on this island and I am told 3 at one point. Travel and communication just wasn't the same over the miles. However we do share almost all of the important things to us on the island. Just my thought.

I also believe we have most of these issues with the townships because we just have too many people working or not working on too many overlapping things that forward motion is hard to do. If you wanted to or tried to be informed and involved no one could. You can't get to all of these boards and meetings for the information. Its just impossible!

If you read the forum or talk to most people our townships and taxpayers and organizations and boards aren't happy. So my big question/answer is...if anyone could show me how our townships are working individually that may sway me from voting for consolidation. What has your township done for you the taxpayer? What have you seen?

And stay tuned I hear a report is coming out soon and I think it really might be eye opening with facts and good conversation.

Alice's post was not pushing this consolidation away from the township. She was simply stating that if it is what the taxpayer wants they have the right to pursue it and that it is our townships obligation to listen. I don't think we should take what she said out of text. I appreciated her posting.
burton
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

In Response to Islandliving:

To set the quote reference about Alice straight. This was her reply on page 3. It did not contain the quote stated. I would like to make sure the things that get said are actual fact and not picking someone out or barging them will insults or wrong information. People should not be afraid to post on the forum and we should all stand up for that.

It was not the townships decision to pursue the idea of township consolidation.

Constituents have the right to circulate petitions.

Nothing occurred in secrecy.

The petition is public info.

Registered voters, regardless of position, are eligible to sign a petition - the law does not discriminate.

It is a moot point on whether the townships feel this is a great idea - it is not the townships decision but rather the decision of the registered voter.
burton
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Carol Burton, I stared that I can understand why the consolidation is not the townships idea quoted by Alice Belfy "It was not the townships decision to pursue the idea of township consolidation". Sorry for the misunderstanding on my statement, it was not intended to insult anyone. I will also clear up that I understand why only one township official signed the petition and there was also one trustee. Is is my opinion that none of them would be guaranteed a position back on the new board. I would think that anyone on the board would not sign a document that would cut their guaranteed four year elected position in half. I again apologize to you and for sure Alice Belfy if I have insulted her in anyway. I am also excited to know there is eye opening report coming out soon!! A long wait for many. Thanks for your push on all you have done.

John MCafferty
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Thanks John for that. Glad to help. We all want what is best for the island :)

To the job part of a township elected member holding a position. I certainly hope it is not about a job and it's about us. I also can't think of one township board member that needs it to survive or doesn't have another full time or part time occupation. I would assume that those other jobs could hinder the work that they can do and the time they can invest in doing the job. One point to why I think a full time person would benefit us. They would have to be dedicated to working for us full time.

Carol
burton