And so it goes.......

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

And so it goes.......

Post by Gillespie »

We go on the same way, sad but reality.
Mojave Bob

Re: And so it goes.......

Post by Mojave Bob »

A recurring theme in the discussion leading up to the election was "we can gain the same efficiencies without consolidating the townships". Suggestions were made to share facilities and merge more functions. So, now is the time to pony up. We are a two-township island. Let's make it the best two-township island it can be.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I asked for a positive vision for Peaine Township a few weeks ago. None was presented to date and we are still waiting. Apparently the voters in Peaine do not care, they were more influenced by the fear of an increase in taxes. St James township was also painted as fiscally shaky when in fact it is well on the road to recovery. The new leadership in St James was grouped in with this fear, despite the fact that one could argue that the power structure in Peaine is more closely aligned to the former power structure in St James. Interesting how politics work, the island as the voters show is deeply divided with no apparent route to reconciling this division.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Taxpayers and voters in Peaine have a vision. If the post had said, share the vision of BOTH townships perhaps you would have gotten replies. You to imply it was about taxes was so off. It was about much more than that.

To say that the people in your neighbouring township don't care is incredibly unfair.

I believe if you added the votes together you will find that the majority vote for both townships also would have produced a no as well.

As stated above "We are a two-township island. Let's make it the best two-township island it can be."
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Total combined township votes.
250 No
174 yes
The voters did decide.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

250 NO 39%
174 YES 27%
218 34% Didn't care enough to vote :cry:
Last edited by treehugger on Thu May 10, 2018 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
anonymous
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Yes the votes was correct those in Peaine did not want to be part of all of the great things going on in St James Township. We will continue on to beautify the town and harbor area which will increase the property values for all of the folks in the St James area. We are in the process of improving our campgrounds through the excellent work of our board and the procurement of a grant that was done by the hard work of the St James Township board. Hopefully you will work on modernizing your signage at the lakes and natural resources in your township. Your roads too could use some work, West side road was basically impassible for a long stretch this spring, perhaps some of your reserves could go into improvements in that area. Those will be an asset to the visitors coming to the island as we will seek to work with the Boat Company through the Transportation Authority to increase travelers to the island.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Fox Lake signage
Attachments
892978D4-80FE-48FA-B6E6-8F127D2CFFB7.jpeg
892978D4-80FE-48FA-B6E6-8F127D2CFFB7.jpeg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 2633 times
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Other Fox Lake sign
Attachments
353E8F29-8B3A-4C4C-B190-57FE3BFD8C37.jpeg
353E8F29-8B3A-4C4C-B190-57FE3BFD8C37.jpeg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 2621 times
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Those are great suggestions Jeff. I was under the impression that the roads were more of a county issue. As far as this spring, until the frost is out of the ground it is a mess. Especially on West with the tree coverage. I am sure by the time the tourist arrive the ground will be thawed and gravel will be down. How are things on Donegal Bay road? Are we ready for tourist?

I am sure we could take a camera and go to many places in both townships that could use a face lift. Both Peaine and St. James could use some clean up.

Are there boat launch signs at the harbor in St. James? Maybe we could use the same source for the other lakes.

It could be an exciting time for the Island. One thing that resonated loud and clear over the past few months is the passion and love many have for the island. Seeing that drive used in a positive way could be the turning point the island needs.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Kathe

You are very full of knowledge about the Island. Since you have so many ideas about everything I am going to suggest that you join any of the many, many, many, boards and committees that people are really working on. You can Skype in or call in even this day and age. I would also make the suggestion that you check out some township meetings. News on the Net covers most all of them. There is an extraordinary amount of work to do and we could use someone like you who really seems to have a huge desire to get right in there and make things happen. Let me know what boards and meetings you would like to get involved with and I will get you the information so that you can really participate. Suggestions only go so far and it's those that are hands on that make the difference. We could use some real taxpayer hands on help outside of taxes.

Also for all those voters on Peaine side I am really looking forward to seeing some heavy involvement in making things better and seeing you at the meetings. It would also be nice to get those taxpayers and voters that don't live here involved. Let me know what your interests are so they can figure out a way to get everyone more involved in these very important issues instead of just the same few that show up.

Carol
burton
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Carol

I would welcome your suggestions of involment if I felt they were sincere. I was not aware you were on so many boards and committees! Kudos to you!!

I do owe you a thanks, as I have been contacted by a few since your post that have asked I consider some things. Who knows maybe someday we will be on a board together!

I have welcomed open communication with you before and offer it again. If you would like to discuss this further give me a call. You have my number.

PS..I just read your beautiful story about Titus. Beaver Island is a beautiful place with beautiful people that always show up when there is a need. Thank you for sharing. That is the unity the island needs.
Last edited by meadefamily on Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Good to see you back and at it. We were afraid you had mellowed having been in the Caymans. :roll: :wink: :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

She just calls it like she see's it and therefore isn't responsible for what your interpretation of her sincerity is. [-( [-(
duffer

Post by duffer »

as i listen to people make it sound like saint james is kicking ass so well why is the major development going on in peaine twp just asking maybe we should set up a few stores at this end of the island i mean really we have both airports gas station best camp ground all the inland lakes but one, I think the voters spoke, yes selling buildings would have helped but so far both have their places and we will move forward!
duffy