New edition of "The King's Daughter"

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dan Hendrix

New edition of "The King's Daughter"

Post by Dan Hendrix »

I am pleased to announce the release of the new edition of my book "The King's Daughter". The new edition includes two new chapters, a new and dramatic conclusion, and three maps of the Great Lakes and Beaver Island.

The book is now available at the Beaver Island District Library.

"The King's Daughter" is a fictional novel that takes place during the Mormon occupation of Beaver Island from 1849 to 1856. The book tells the tale of four Irish Fishermen who journey from Ireland to America in search of a new life. When they settle on Beaver Island their peaceful and promising refuge becomes a battleground of religious conflict and social unrest. A colony of Mormon settlers take control of the island and James Strang, their charismatic leader, declares himself to be "King of the Mormons."

Centered on a forbidden love affair between King Strang's daughter Sarah and Andy, a young Irish fisherman, the the novel explores the tensions that existed between immigrant groups and the dramatic impact of the Mormon presence on Beaver Island. As escalating conflict consumes the island and Strang's kingdom crumbles, Sarah and Andy must fight for their love, leading the novel to an astonishing conclusion.

My goal in writing the book was to weave a dramatic fictional story into the real historical events that occurred during the Mormon occupation. For a book review of the new edition, see the article by Olga Burton in the December edition of the Northern Islander. Any other reviews or comments on the Mormon presence on Beaver Island would be greatly appreciated.

I also am seeking some additional information: Does anyone know the exact location of King Strang's home, the Mormon church, or any other significant Mormon buildings in St. James? Also, does anyone know what may have happened to the Mormon printing press or the cannon used to fire on the Irish fishermen?

Here are two new books that may be of interest to island readers:

"James Jesse Strang: The Rise and Fall of Michigan's Mormon King" by Don Faber (University of Michigan Press) A readable and balanced history book

"Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. This book is well-written, controversial, and parts of it are not for the squeamish.

Thank you for your interest.

Dan Hendrix
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Strang's house was down the hill behind the old Medical Center.
BI Historical Society

Post by BI Historical Society »

Some of the answers to these questions can be partially answered from "Volume III of the Journal of BI History," in "The Quest for the Mormon Press." Also, Volume V has a hand-drawn map of the Mormon Tabernacle and Strang's home, whereas Volume I has a generalized map with his home shown.

Volume's I-V will be in stock when the gift shop reopens this spring.
Lori Taylor-Blitz, Executive Director
Beaver Island Historical Society
PO Box 263
Beaver Island MI 49782
director@beaverislandhistory.org