Perch Fishing

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Perch Fishing

Post by JFPowers »

First of all thanks to all of those who have worked for many years to help reduce the cormorant numbers by 80% in the archipelago to help bring back our sport fishery.

Those fishing should respect the daily limits of 50 perch per person as they enjoy the rebounding fishery.

We have reported the recent tribal fishing action to address concerns that the boats may be in restricted waters. The DNR is looking into this and we hope to find out the status of this fishing ASAP

http://www.1836cora.org/wp-content/uplo ... can-26.jpg

It is our hope that all of those fishing, both recreationally and commercially have some respect for the continued sustenance of this rebounding fishery.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

All sport fishing persons who enjoy the fruits of all the efforts to reestablish this great perch fishery source,( along with the small mouth bass and salmon programs) here in the Beaver Islands Chain, take notice..

Take the time to contact the DNR to let them know that we will be watching how well they protect our island waters from illegal commercial fishing operations this time.

Last time, it took the Feds to make them respect our island and State and Federal fishing regulations.
One illegally set net can wipe out tens of thousands of perch, which makes that limit of 50 you would like to take home a mere past memory in one short season.

Thank you, Jeff, for taking on this important issue....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
conanconnor

Post by conanconnor »

Levi here. after the event of the illegal Commercial perch fishing in the harbor. I have statement forms from the DNR for people that witnessed the fishing tug "Trio" fishing in the harbor. The DNR would like to know when and from where you witnessed the act and at around what time. the more statement forms I am able to send to the DNR the better. please stop by the hardware and get a form to fill out. Leave forms with me (Levi Connor) and I will fax them all over to the investigator. Any more photo evidence would be greatly appreciated as well.
King Conan