Ordination Celebration

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

debrob2

Ordination Celebration

Post by debrob2 »

Dear Fellow Islanders,
It is with great joy and humility that I will be ordained to the priesthood in this beautiful Island community. Over the past almost two years I have been moved by the rich heritage, traditions and spirit of this beautiful Island. I truly have been blessed to, work, worship and celebrate everyday life in this beautiful place surrounded by such loving and caring people.
(Deacon Jim Siler)

In that spirit, Holy Cross Catholic Church, and the people of Beaver Island are excitedly preparing for the Ordination Celebration of Deacon Jim Siler into the priesthood. The Ordination will take place on Thursday, September 14th at 1:00pm at Holy Cross Church. Bishop Steven J. Raica, Deacons, Seminarians as well as many, many priests from all over the Diocese will attend and participate in this Holy Sacrament! Over 30 clergy have confirmed their attendance so far! Deacon Jim will have well over 100 family members arriving along with dozens of friends from all over the state to join us. Please know that not only the parishioners of Holy Cross, but the entire Island Community is invited to celebrate this blessed and historic event! Never before, in the history of Beaver Island, has a priest been ordained here on Beaver Island!

Due to the number of people wishing to attend and the space limitations at Holy Cross, Joe Moore and Kevin Boyle will live stream the video footage from Holy Cross into the gymnasium at Beaver Island Community School. Seating for over 400 will be available there so please know that EVERYONE is welcome to join us. The close proximity of the gymnasium provides the opportunity for those wishing to participate in the Mass to be able to join in and actually go across the street to receive Holy Communion inside the church.

A celebratory Island-Style Pot Luck dinner will take place at the Holy Cross Hall immediately following the Ordination. Seating will be available inside the hall as well as in tents set up on the Convent Lawn. Everyone is welcome! Including all Islanders, it is expected that more than 500 people will attend this dinner!
Many people have asked how they can helpâ?¦and I am here to tell you! 

Assistance is needed in the following areas:
1. Pot-Luck Dishes: Although the church will supply chicken and pork (Thank you to Mark LaFreniere and Bob Turner!) we will need many, many side dishes.
2. Desserts: Again, we will need many! We usually have 30 people signed up to bring desserts for the August dinner, and this crowd will be much larger!
3. Set-Up & Tear-Down of the tents, tables, chairs, etcâ?¦
4. Kitchen Help: I would like to set this up in hour-long shifts so that EVERYONE is able to enjoy this celebration!
5. Clean-Up: Some of this will happen the evening ofâ?¦most will happen the following day!

If you are willing and able to help, please contact me directly: 231 675 7155 OR via email debbier@beaverisland.k12.mi.us I will keep a master list.
Thank you all, in advance, for all you do for our Island Community!
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Wonderful! What a happy event. Very glad for Deacon Jim, the Island, and the Diocese!
Beaver Island Gardens

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

Tomorrow's the big day. Thanks to so many dedicated volunteers. Congratulations to Deacon Jim. Hope that everyone enjoys this historic occasion.
medic5740

If you can't be here

Post by medic5740 »

If you can't be here to participate for any reason, the Vespers on the 13th and the Ordination on the 14th will be live on the Internet for anyone anywhere at http://beaverisland.tv

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net
Pam Smith

Post by Pam Smith »

This is the one event I did not want to miss! Just think, the Holy See approved this man, personally, for the priesthood!! What a wonderful feeling this must be for Father. I wanted to see Bishop Steve, also. The musicians of Lansing Diocese had him a dinner when he left and I have always regretted missing that too, so I wanted to see him.

Congratulations, Father Jim!! I will be contacting you, however I am only on the island for a couple more weeks. Can you let me know your order?

Holy Cross is such a wonderful church. Next Spring I'm hoping to be more involved.
medic5740

Didn't get to see the Ordination?

Post by medic5740 »

A one camera video of the ordination of Father James Siler is available to anyone that has an Internet connection.

You can view the entire ordination here:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2017%20Sept ... Siler.html

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net