unable to get an answer to my FOI request

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

I may be way off base on this observation but it sounds like the Dr. White issue is only a symptom of a far larger problem with the health center. It would appear that they accept tax monies but feel no obligation to the public for accountability or transparency. I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of FOIs but I do believe they are a responsibility of any agency taking tax dollars or government funds. I am familiar with public boards and requirements to record decisions in their minutes. Regarding your question on minutes, how could a board not have minutes on fees they approve or how they are to be accounted for or used?
This might be a dumb question or one that has been explored but if the township uses tax dollars for the health center then why can't you ask the township which is a public body for the information regarding the health center?
It is my assumption that there is a millage for the health center somewhere. Where there is a millage there is almost always a vote required for that millage which allows to public to vote on it. Usually millages have to be increased over time. If this is the case then the public gets to voice their support or vote it down. A thought would be that if there is a vote in the future then require that transparency and accountability be tied to the ballot wording requiring the health center to comply with FOIs and accountability to the public or not receive future funds.

DC
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

The logic that the public's voice will be heard at the ballot box doesn't work on Beaver Island. The vast majority of tax dollars received are voted upon by the few and far between homestead owners knowing the majority non-homestead owners pick up the tab. If I were a bettin' man, I would bet any request for more money, for anything, passes on Beaver Island because the homestead owners know it's free money coming from the non-homestead owners.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

I'm not sure how voting laws work but can't someone who has a seasonal home register to vote where the seasonal home is located even if they keep their homestead at another location? If that were the case I would think that some seasonal home owners' group would push to get people to register. What I would envision is that a person could have their spouse vote on Beaver Island (absentee if necessary) and the other spouse could continue to vote at their homestead. The best of both worlds where they each have a voice where they have significant investments, vacation home and homestead. If there was a big enough voting block the few could not run roughshod over the many. Given the numbers that I hear there are maybe 500 voting homesteaders on Beaver Island and 1000's of vacation home owners who can not vote unless they register to vote. Get them registered to vote and balance things off for equal representation.
Just a thought.

DC
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

In Michigan if it is your homestead you can vote, if you are a non-homestead you can't vote. That's the golden well the homestead owners of Beaver Island have taken advantage of. They keep dipping into the well because they know the non-homesteads, those without a vote, will fill the bucket for them.

I think Beaver Island has already felt the consequences of this pattern. In the end it will come back to bite them. For some they have already been stung, they can't find a buyer for anything near appraised value.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. Pike, An interesting assumption and proclamation. Do they realize from what you say that it could kill their economy and the future of Beaver Island? No wonder Mr. McCafferty said the population is in serious decline. I thought it was all the infighting but it may be they have brought economic doom upon themselves by taxing seasonal people who can represent their interests with a vote. That would be sad to think. We love our visits up there but I know I could never afford to own up there.

DC
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

It's not an interesting assumption, its the reality in Michigan. Since you brought up Mr. McCafferty, they will testify that appraised value and the reality of Beaver Island has hit too close to home.

Here's a recent post from Mr. McCafferty on the Marketplace/Trade Forum.

----------

"Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 pm
Post subject: Amazing Property Deal Reply with quote
FOR SALE!! 17 acre farm. HUGE PRICE REDUCTION!!! Easy land contract terms available. 160x76 multiple use building, 2500 sq.ft.living quarters, 3 bedrooms, 3 full baths, large open living space, large family room, gym, screened in porch and deck. Log interior with custom log furniture with most furnishings included in sale.3 fully furnished apartments in the building. 1-700 sq. ft. apartment and 2-500 sq.ft. apartments. Let your renters make your payment on the property. Also tons of rentable storage space. The DOGHOUSE SALOON included, 24' x 32' building with pool table, fuse ball, large bar, stage, and game tables. Separate 30x64 storage building with a 18x64 lean-to and electric. Much of the property is fenced. Lots of apple trees and open fields with wooded land also.

PRICE REDUCED TO $400,000.00!!!
Replacement cost of buildings alone $850,000.00
Call John McCafferty @231-448-2639 for questions or to take a look[

Last edited by islandliving on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 am; edited 3 times in total"

-------

This is only one example of the reality Beaver Island property owners both homestead and non-homestead are facing because of the homestead voters.
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. Taylor, At 53% public funding it sounds like it quacks like a duck. Maybe the health center is ducking something. Pun intended. It would be worth pursuing.

DC
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Mr. Taylor, My guess is that the health center does not have to follow the open meetings law and therefore Mr. Spencer and Mr. Cook are empowered to make board binding decisions outside of their meetings and not reflected in the meeting minutes. Perhaps Mr. Spenser or Mr. Cook could reflect on how the decisions were made by contacting them or having them provide an explanation on the forum. There has to be a logical explanation for the missing documentation.

DC
BradG

Post by BradG »

I think it's time that all the shared entities be more accountable to the townships and tax payers that fund them beyond a single township board member who may have inherent conflicts of interest. It's time to unify the townships and redefine the relationship of the shared entities with the townships and tax payers so we get value for our tax dollars. We need the tax funded boards to do a critical assessment of their cost effectiveness and reduce expenses. Business as usual isn't getting us where we need to be. Expensive taxes are forfeiting our future and growing old here is becoming increasingly problematic. A professional manager may be in order. Obviously, this thread has struck a chord and many of us are concerned with where we're going. Issues have been identified, let's develop solutions without animosity and rancor.

Brad
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Dear Brad, I think you have hit on an excellent recommendation. If you are a resident of Beaver Island then why not propose to the townships that at their next meeting they make a motion requiring that for any entity to receive or continue to receive township funds (tax dollars) they must follow the open meeting's law and FOIs. This would certainly help Mr. Taylor with his concerns and a step in the right direction of what you are proposing.

DC