One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

carolburton

Post by carolburton »

For those watching this thread I ask you to see it as an island issue that will be resolved and not a reason to be deterred from visiting or choosing Beaver Island. A small hiccup in an otherwise glorious summer! Lots of great things going on too!

My question is very simple- Why doesn't or didn't Wendy take her equipment? I am sure that many people would have helped her with the move and still would. She has been a long time friend of this island. I don't see where there should have even been a problem. She didn't sign on forever. As for statements made that shouldn't have been is between them, and for them to fix. Never a good idea to put some thoughts into words. "Think before you speak" or write in this case. I am sure there may be or were breaches of faith or contract on both sides. Seems pretty apparent that it hasn't ever been a smooth relationship from this thread.

Also to the off side topic of taxes: For all non-homestead tax payers if you have stopped in our shop or had a conversation with me you know that I always extend a warm hearted genuine thank you for the taxes that you pay. Thank you for choosing to be a part of Beaver Island and supporting the place you love. You had a choice to choose anywhere and you chose Beaver Island. Thank you!

You also may feel that we (Island Residents) don't care but there is a large group of us that firmly believe that your interests and our interests should be looked out for. Many own more than one piece of this beautiful island and pay non-homestead taxes here and many pay taxes in other locations which makes us well aware of the tax dollar. We also may own property in both townships which keeps us from having our vote heard on this one island. So you are not alone in your concerns. We (Island Residents) can only vote on the issues in the township that is our primary residence and these things put many of us in the same boat!

There will always be the tax complaint. The best we can do is find ways to make those tax dollars useful for all of us. Wasting these dollars is what we should be concerned with. We all want to feel that they are being put to use in the best possible way. That is why we pay them.

Don't forget we are all in this together. United on one island.
burton
Laur R.

Post by Laur R. »

I am deeply saddened that we are losing Wendy. As someone who has spent a lot of time in dentist chairs my whole life, I was thrilled to find the gentlest and most caring dentist I have ever been to!! And as a U of M trained dentist she comes from one of the top 5 medical centers in the world! We were so lucky.
In the real world we all deal with personalities that we don't particularly care for or are contentious but to conduct business and get things done we put aside those differences and do what has to be done. I am hurt that our board apparently could not go the extra mile to help Wendy feel welcome and comfortable (she has been her own dental assistant, done all her own billing, had to collect an extra $5.75 facility usage fee from each patient EVERY time they come for 13 years, and done all the autoclaving and cleaning etc. of all her equipment) for the benefit of the 350 or 400 year round residents of this island!!!
Years ago I went to a township meeting and one of the BIRHC board members told us,"We do not answer to you." We were stunned to say the least. But I guess they really meant it. Too bad for many who can not afford to fly themselves and their children off to obtain good dental care. And good luck finding a dentist who worked hard to make sure you could find a payment plan that worked for your budget.
Goodbye and thank you dear Dr. White
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Jeff Powers previously posted:
"There must be increased efforts to make the public institutions on Beaver Island more accountable to the taxpayers who which they serve."
I believe this is the purpose of this thread on the forum and its 8,000+ views indicates the interest out there. I hope there HC board works toward Jeff's goal. Time will tell but I don't think the interest will be going away any time soon.
I must say that the St. James Township Board should be commended for a turn around that leads to optimism.
There remain a couple of boards out there that need to be more transparent with the public and taxpayers on Beaver Island.
Kirk
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

The phantom retired dentist, wonder if it could be my old mate Jeff Porter who just retired? Can't be, his math is better than the $1 estimate for Doc White's equipment. Unless he was thinking she was using old Doc Sorensen's equipment he had in the front room of his house next to the old store. He hauled those antiques up from his practice in Greenville. I'm thinking I just might start a practice on Whiskey Island. I'm going to offer Doc White triple the estimated value, $3. Phantom retired dentist turned HC consultant, do I hear $4? :roll: :lol: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
stardust

HMMM

Post by stardust »

Life can be difficult on Beaver Island only if you make it that way, There is a steep learning curve when you move to any small community and beaver island is no different then any other small town in America.

As I have learned over the last 5 years (1) Do not cry over spilled milk no one cares it is a lesson learned (2) The core family's run the island if you don't like it run for the board of your township (3) Tax's are tax's no matter where you go you have to pay them.

Be happy that you have found a place to call home on the island. My wife and are starting our family on the island our little girl is 6 months old and will making the move to full time sooner than later.
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

It's amazing, the knowledge you gain when you have all of the facts.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

It seems that there is enough people on this thread that know a lot more than our HC board as it exists. I propose that all the complainers just get together and replace the HC board and if possible maybe other boards on the island and make it an easy place to live. Those that know best could for sure do best.

John mcCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

It seems that there is enough people on this thread that know a lot more than our HC board as it exists. I propose that all the complainers just get together and replace the HC board and if possible maybe other boards on the island and make it an easy place to live. Those that know best could for sure do best.

John mcCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I wonder how many members of the school board are teachers? Just a question. Anyone out there know?
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Now that's changing the subject and not an answer to the question.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

I do not know the answer to your question. I am awaiting an answer to mine from someone who knows.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

At the pig roast this week I had a women, friend, ask me why I objected to the HC's letter regarding Dr. White. She thought it should not be offensive to Dr. White because it was addressed to her attorney, Mr. Widmayer. I clarified for her as best I could that I did not have a problem with the letter but the wording, "Under no circumstances including death in the family or illness will there be another extension."(see letter at beginning of this thread) I went on to explain that language was beyond the pale and unnecessary. I further explained that the language was not only offensive to Dr. White but also her attorney. Dr. White's attorney is her brother and an extension was requested because of the tragic death of their sibling brother. A fact my friend was not aware of but I assured her that the HC board was fully aware of this fact.
I thought others might not be aware of the full circumstances and therefore this post.
Kirk
Andy's Grooming Barn

offensive language

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

sbsp wrote:I further explained that the language was not only offensive to Dr. White but also her attorney.
Kirk I finally have something I can agree with you on, you do have lots of knowledge on offensive language, often I feel you could handle a situation by trying to be less offensive.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Unfortunately people can be very offensive and aggressive not always on this Beaver Island Forum but also public places. Maybe we all need a new Island. We could change the subject to all the complaining tax payers to where most of your tax dollars go. How about our over staffed almost empty school. Look at your non-homestead school tax. In my opinion a major rip off to non residents trying to support and afford a vacation home here.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Island Living, you hit the nail on the head!