Forum Rules | FAQ | Memberlist | Private Messages

Main Discussion Forum | Marketplace / Trade Forum 
One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beaver Island Forum Index -> Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbsp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am 
Post subject:

Tracey -
I'm confused in reading your earlier post (Monday, Sept 18, 2:51pm) combined with all your recent posts. You stated, "And as I have seen these diatribes go on without any real resolution, this is my last post.
Oh.....this is Tracey" You have continued to make several posts?
Sounds to me that you may be rethinking that post and in fact may be thinking diatribes sometimes do seek resolution. Hang in there, your post has shared more information than the public has received in years from the HC. Resolution is always possible when all parties agree to work through the issues in the best interest of the public being served.

Last edited by sbsp on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
ktaylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:36 am 
Post subject:

ktaylor wrote:
To the Freedom of Information Officer of the Beaver Island Rural Health Center.

"The board also voted to offer Dr. White $1.00 as payment for the dental equipment, based on an evaluation by a retired dentist."

Based on the Facebook posting above, indicating that the Beaver Island rural Health Center Board of Directors had evaluated the value of the dental equipment provided by Dr. W. White,

I request the following under Michigan's Freedom of Information Act.

1. A copy of the evaluation report by the above mentioned retired dentist that was given to any board member or employee of the Beaver Island Rural Health Service. This report should indicated how the value of Dr. White's equipment was determined.

2. This report should include the name of the retired dentist and his qualifications to evaluate dental equipment and to whom this report was provided.

This is the reply I received.

No documents exist. FOIA does not require the creation of documents

Donna Kubic, RN, Managing Director
Beaver Island Rural Health Center
37304 Kings Highway
P O Box 146
Beaver Island, MI 49782
231-448-2275 - voice
231-448-2348 - fax
donna@biruralhealth.org
www.biruralhealth.org

This makes me wonder if having a retired dentist evaluate the value of the equipment was the board just blowing smoke to cloud the issue.
Very Happy

My other thought is that the board is being bamboozled, as most of them, if not all, have little knowledge of dental equipment and associated costs. The retired dentist, whose identity is hiding behind Connie's skirts, is hoping that the board steals the equipment from Dr. White and then lets him/her use it. This would mean he/she would not need to buy equipment necessary for their new practice. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by ktaylor on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
K.A. Pike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:54 pm 
Post subject:

There is so much smoke blowing on Beaver Island that from the mainland it looks like the island is on fire. I guess metaphorically it is on fire. We abandoned the idea of buying property on Beaver Island a couple of years ago because of the EXTREMELY high taxes and the Cliques that are running the show. There is an island mentality that just wants the second home owners $$ and nothing else. Washington Island has been a breath of fresh air for our new found adventures and tourist dollars.
sbsp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:01 pm 
Post subject:

You gotta love Washington Island at the end to the Door. They know how to welcome tourist. Went there a few years ago and still get e-mails promoting the Door and WI. When I was there it was to visit their medical center and their approach to HC on a remote island which was very refreshing. Also met with Friends of Washington Island a group formed years ago to promote all aspects of the Island but particularly tourism. Lessons that could be learned here on both counts. The openness of Washington Island could be a real learning experience to the perceived closed cliques of Beaver Island. I still hold out hope.
K.A. Pike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 pm 
Post subject:

We vacationed on Beaver Island for 11 summers. Towards the end we were renting cottages during summer for two and three separate weeks. The prices of the homes we were considering were fine, but the non-homestead taxes were unacceptable. We do not want to be landlords and rent out the prime weeks in the summer just to cover our taxes. Our family is at a place now were between my wife and I, our kids and extended family and friends we want a summer place. It's a shame, we're not alone. Beaver Island will need to figure this out. I'm sure we'll still visit once and while, but the desire to own a place on the island has vanished, and so have our dollars. - - Kraig

Oh, and by the way, if anyone would like 25 shares of boat stock send me a message.
JFPowers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

Kraig,

Thank you for clearly elucidating a concern I have seen expressed over and over throughout the years. I have attempted to express the concern of future property owners such as you on numerous boards for many years. I will increase my efforts to bring forth an increased degree of fiscal accountability where I see it.

"This is the way it has always been done" doesn't cut it anymore, it is a failed strategy. There must be increased efforts to make the public institutions on Beaver Island more accountable to the taxpayers who which they serve.

Thanks again.
ktaylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:51 am 
Post subject:

One serious problem with the BIRHC board of directors is nepotism. It seems to be even covered up on their income tax filings.

On IRS form 990s for 2015 and filed in 2016, I found under PART VI, Section A, line 2 the question "Did any officer, director, trustee, or key employee have a family relationship or a business relationship with any other officer, director, trustee, of key employee?" The answer on the tax form for the BIRHC was NO. This was done by an outside accounting firm , but they should have known better. Rolling Eyes
sbsp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:50 pm 
Post subject:

Nepotism has never be a part of Beaver Island's lexicon.
ktaylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

I really don't know how the BIRHC board can be believed in their facebook posting. When they say that an evaluation of the dental equipment was done, but no records exist and when on their own tax documents they say there are no members that are related to employees or other board members. Now they expect us to believe that they have done a great job in providing Dr. White with a great working environment. Where has honesty gone in the fulfilling of their duties to BI taxpayers and other? Is there no shame? Sad

Last edited by ktaylor on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

In reading through this thread, I do have to smile to myself when BI taxes are brought up as something to be disgruntled about. Secondary home taxes are collected across the board in MI, and BI collects lower Mils than any of the surrounding communities. Can we please promote our Island and stop the perpetuation of this untruth?

After reading the info about Washington Island, Wisconsin, I looked into their property taxes, and discovered an interesting article: http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/90546314.html/

Wisconsin collects taxes differently. "Wisconsin is alone in the Midwest and among eight states that treat apartments, factories, office buildings, vacation homes and primary residences the same." This is definitely a good move, if a community is looking to attract investors from the secondary home market (and they lived in another state where they could register their vehicle outside of WI, as well as count on the gov't not changing their minds mid-stream). The only down side is that those WI homeowners would not be here to enjoy this piece of paradise wink

For your info, here's a link to MI Property Tax Estimator, where you can view the millages for each area of MI:
https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/ptestimator/ptestimator.asp

Sheri Richards
BI Resident Realtor ~ Real Estate One
K.A. Pike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

Sheri,

You wrote: "In reading through this thread, I do have to smile to myself when BI taxes are brought up as something to be disgruntled about."

So lets look at a real life comparison using the MI Property Tax Estimator link you provided:

https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/ptestimator/PTEstimator.asp

Two years ago when we were determined, with cash in hand, to buy a "cottage" on Beaver Island this is what we ran into.

$350,000
Charlevoix County, St. James Twp. Beaver Island Community Schools
Non Homestead: $16,702 per year tax liability.

$350,000
Berrien County, Lake Township, Bridgman Schools
(on the shore of Lake Michigan, Weko Beach, Warren Dunes State Park, Silver Beach in St. Joseph. <---- one of the top 10 beaches according to Travel Magazine. More than 40% of our homes are second homes for the Chicago market)
Non Homestead: $10,245 per year tax liability.

I have a primary residence, 4 rental homes and a business in Lake Township, Michigan. I pay my fair share of non homestead taxes, I know the reality of owning a business and rental homes.

Sheri, for you to smile about an additional $6457 gives me cause to wonder about your sincerity and concern. Help me understand what you mean by "perpetuation of this untruth" I didn't provided the link to estimate the taxes. I had to do it two years ago the old fashion way with a pen and paper, but the results were the same.

My sister visited Beaver Island this summer for a couple of days. She enjoyed her visit, but her only real comment was to ask why half the island was for sale. She wondered if the official island flower was a realtor yard sign. She said they were EVERYWHERE.

Trust me I'm not here to bash the island, we will be back to visit, we just won't be back to buy, that ship sailed.

Kraig

Last edited by K.A. Pike on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

Kraig,

I meant no offense when I mentioned "smiling" in my previous post. Over the years, I have noticed that taxes seem to get brought up on multiple threads having nothing to do with the subject. The fact that we all bear the brunt of taxes is real, but I think most Forum users haven't looked into how much or little we are actually taxed compared to other areas. The "perpetuation of this untruth", are those who state as fact that we are excessively taxed compared to other areas.

A real example:
In October, 2015, on Beaver Island, a 1,620 square foot home resting on 10 acres with 285' of Lake Michigan water frontage, was sold for the price of $365,000. The 2017 SEV for this property is $165,000. If you enter this amount into the Property Tax Estimator, you will find the owners paid a property tax of $7,249 in 2017. Normally the SEV is less than half of the purchase price of a property, and this is what an owner is taxed on.

Beaver Island property is definitely a bargain, and we have seen a huge increase in sales this year. I'm glad to hear you will be back next year, and hope to meet you in person. Stop in my office anytime!

Sheri Richards
BI Resident Realtor ~ Real Estate One
ktaylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 am 
Post subject:

I realize fruit flies are skulking around, as demonstrated in another topic. Along with all the fruit flies, gnats, mosquitoes and household flies, lurks a far more dangerous character known as the "retired dentist". He/she (no name or description is given) is prowling around the Health Center devaluating dental equipment left and right. This individual has been reporting to the BIRHC Board of Directors by some unknown means (maybe lip reading) as the skulker will not put his info in writing. We are to swallow whole his evaluation of $1 for the existing equipment, as the poor saps on the board did. This person should be exposed as a destroyer of good dental hygiene. The next thing we know the BI Pirate will set up a dental clinic on Whiskey Island and we all will have transportation costs. Be careful as the skulker is armed with (to the) teeth:D
carolburton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm 
Post subject:

For those watching this thread I ask you to see it as an island issue that will be resolved and not a reason to be deterred from visiting or choosing Beaver Island. A small hiccup in an otherwise glorious summer! Lots of great things going on too!

My question is very simple- Why doesn't or didn't Wendy take her equipment? I am sure that many people would have helped her with the move and still would. She has been a long time friend of this island. I don't see where there should have even been a problem. She didn't sign on forever. As for statements made that shouldn't have been is between them, and for them to fix. Never a good idea to put some thoughts into words. "Think before you speak" or write in this case. I am sure there may be or were breaches of faith or contract on both sides. Seems pretty apparent that it hasn't ever been a smooth relationship from this thread.

Also to the off side topic of taxes: For all non-homestead tax payers if you have stopped in our shop or had a conversation with me you know that I always extend a warm hearted genuine thank you for the taxes that you pay. Thank you for choosing to be a part of Beaver Island and supporting the place you love. You had a choice to choose anywhere and you chose Beaver Island. Thank you!

You also may feel that we (Island Residents) don't care but there is a large group of us that firmly believe that your interests and our interests should be looked out for. Many own more than one piece of this beautiful island and pay non-homestead taxes here and many pay taxes in other locations which makes us well aware of the tax dollar. We also may own property in both townships which keeps us from having our vote heard on this one island. So you are not alone in your concerns. We (Island Residents) can only vote on the issues in the township that is our primary residence and these things put many of us in the same boat!

There will always be the tax complaint. The best we can do is find ways to make those tax dollars useful for all of us. Wasting these dollars is what we should be concerned with. We all want to feel that they are being put to use in the best possible way. That is why we pay them.

Don't forget we are all in this together. United on one island.
ktaylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:05 pm 
Post subject:

Carol: I truly believe that Dr. White did not want to remove her equipment. From her experience she understands the high cost and difficulty for a NEW dentist to open a practice in the Health Center or on Beaver Island. If she does remove her equipment you can kiss having any dentist on Beaver goodbye for the near future. I don't think the board understands this or they just don't care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beaver Island Forum Index -> Main Beaver Island Open Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: