One more reason life can be difficult on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

KAWhite

Post by KAWhite »

No one knows better than me, other than Wendy herself, the difficulties she endured on the island, just trying to do some good. She dedicated what would have been and should have been her most financially productive years in dentistry, to Beaver Island, because she genuinely loved the place. I hope, in the end, she is appreciated for that. When she first decided to marry me and move to the island, she wanted to continue her career. In order to do that she had to purchase the existing practice, buy all her own equipment, pay rent for the space she used, and run the front office and the back herself, because she quickly learned that she couldn't afford to hire help. Her struggles with the Medical Center in the beginning were frustratingly difficult, but she persevered. She drove a beat up pickup truck and struggled financially for years. There were countless times that she helped people who couldn't afford to get help elsewhere, literally creating smiles, all the while privately worrying about covering her financial obligations. I'm proud of her for what she did. I do know what I'm talking about, I was there.

Regarding the above letter from the Board, there really is only one way to read it. If there is more hidden information, perhaps more thought should have been given to the way the public might perceive it, before it was sent.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Nicely said Kevin. What's particularly noteworthy is the number of views this topic has had in a few short days. It also is a prime indication of what people want and how they fear or avoid publicly commenting because you have to fall in with the Clique or be ostracized. People attend meetings and voice their opinions only to have the closed minds vote their own way anyway. One of the biggest examples recently is Dr. Powers who volunteered to be on the medical center board. Was he picked, hell no! Pick someone you can manipulate, that's the local thought process. Dr. Powers was a much needed voice on that committee, you can see it from the suggestions he has made. Until everyone pulls together to resolve these issues it will go on. For myself, I fought hard for Beaver Island as a commissioner but I didn't fall in for the Clique who never supported me. What happens, off island representation that is barely productive on either side. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for!
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I know that the president of the HC board always wants the board to be unanimous on all decisions. That's not the purpose of a board. There should be diversity of opinions and at times dissension to come up with the best guiding decisions that are a board's responsibility. By definition, wanting everyone to be like you or alike is a clique.
As far as making recommendations in the best interest of the HC, when it was being designed and built I challenged having a wasted second story that would require twice the heating and cooling cost and only be there for appearance sake. I also questioned the use of cedar shakes which would require constant maintenance costs as well as an increased insurance cost because of fire rating. Vinyl shakes would give the same appearance with no maintenance cost. There has been no maintenance cost for the cedar shakes as witnessed by the deterioration and discoloring of the building from the bottom up. Nice look for our HC.
Another real time suggestion would be to offer Dr. White a fair market value for her equipment. That cost would be far less than the estimated $50,000 + cost it would be for the HC to replace the equipment that is there now.
My side of the clique have made several suggestions that seem to fall on deaf ears of the HC's clique.
Kirk
islandliving

WOW...FACTS...YES!!!

Post by islandliving »

Copied from BIRHC Facebook page:

Recent online discussion covered one side of the story related to Dr. Whiteâ??s departure from the Beaver Island Rural Health Center building. Thereâ??s much more to consider:

â?¢ Dr. White exclusively occupies her offices at the health center; all other space is used for many purposes, by visiting professionals and health center staff.
â?¢ BIRHC must maintain its non-profit status while leasing space to Dr. Whiteâ??s private business; and must receive liability protection for occurrences arising from Dr. Whiteâ??s practice. Loss of non-profit status could shut down health center operations because of our funding structure. Our legal counsel advised us on necessary requirements, which were incorporated into her lease and signed by Dr. White in 2004.
â?¢ Dr. Whiteâ??s rent of $100 per month represents a fraction of the market rate for 721 square feet. The facility fee is based on her share of building operation costs.
â?¢ Dr. White has consistently not submitted items required under the terms of her lease in a timely manner, including rent and use fees, insurance certificates, business tax information, and reports. Some items have been delinquent by many months, often submitted only after contact from the health centerâ??s legal counsel.
â?¢ At the end of the December, 2016 BIRHC board meeting, a letter from Dr. White was read into the record, indicating that she had moved off the island and would need to renegotiate the terms of her lease. Dr. White was not in attendance at the December and March, 2017 board meetings.
â?¢ Letters from our legal counsel were sent out several times, outlining items needed to comply with the lease, and informing Dr. White that lease changes would be considered after all delinquent items were submitted. Some items were never received.
â?¢ At the health centerâ??s June 2017 board meeting, Director Bill Johnson stated that he had received an email of lease termination from Dr. White. The board asked that Dr. White confirm by submitting 60-day notice to the board; or submit all delinquent items by the July board meeting if she planned on continuing her practice.
â?¢ On July 10, Dr. White submitted a 60-day notice of lease termination, stating that she would vacate the premises no later than September 7; the health center board also voted to terminate Dr. Whiteâ??s lease.
â?¢ On September 5, the health center granted Dr. White an extension until September 30.
â?¢ At the September board meeting, Dr. White requested another extension until October 15, due to the death of her brother a week before. The board voted to extend Dr. Whiteâ??s lease until October 7 at 5 pm, and stipulated that no further extensions would be granted. The board also voted to offer Dr. White $1.00 as payment for the dental equipment, based on an evaluation by a retired dentist.

The board regrets not being able to come to terms with Dr. White after a long and difficult process for both parties. We thank Dr. White for her for the dedicated service over the years and wish her the best. We have begun the process of locating a new dentist for the island, with preliminary discussions having taken place with 6 dentists thus far. Once Dr. White has vacated the leased space, more in-depth discussions will take place with interested dental providers.
Best regards,
BIRHC Board
islandliving

$1.00 offer

Post by islandliving »

Mr. Taylor,
I don't use the dentist office here on the island, and I live here, full time. I choose to see a dentist in charlevoix. Something to consider before moving to an island, where do I get these services. My responsibility..Do you use the dentist here on the island?

If he health center is going to offer this service, why would anyone want out dated, old equipment, if that is the case here. If Dr. White doesn't like the offer on the equipment, can't she then take it with her? It would seem to me, anyone who has to move this equipment will have expenses attached to that endeavor...whether it is the health center or Dr. White.

But it seems, from the health centers comments, that this discussion is getting a lot of positive interest, from dentist candidates, so let's keep these positive vibes going! Onward and upward!! Tracey
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Tracey as an example the digital x ray machine at the Rural Health Center is now considered an "end of Life" unit. Meaning it is no longer in production, parts and service from the manufacturer are very limited. So should they quit using it and search for more funding to get a new machine?

Recently I had an anesthesia service update my machine in East Jordan, it is over 30 years old. The anesthesia service technician said this model is often more reliable that new machines produced today. So should I keep using it or buy a "new" machine?

I know for a fact that Dr. White had her equipment serviced regularly by a certified reliable experienced dental equipment technician.

We all know that all Pharmaceuticals used to treat humans and animals undergo rigorous testing methods to determine their quality.

Do you know that no such standards exist for the production of medical equipment and devices?
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Tracey -
I'm confused in reading your earlier post (Monday, Sept 18, 2:51pm) combined with all your recent posts. You stated, "And as I have seen these diatribes go on without any real resolution, this is my last post.
Oh.....this is Tracey" You have continued to make several posts?
Sounds to me that you may be rethinking that post and in fact may be thinking diatribes sometimes do seek resolution. Hang in there, your post has shared more information than the public has received in years from the HC. Resolution is always possible when all parties agree to work through the issues in the best interest of the public being served.
Last edited by sbsp on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

There is so much smoke blowing on Beaver Island that from the mainland it looks like the island is on fire. I guess metaphorically it is on fire. We abandoned the idea of buying property on Beaver Island a couple of years ago because of the EXTREMELY high taxes and the Cliques that are running the show. There is an island mentality that just wants the second home owners $$ and nothing else. Washington Island has been a breath of fresh air for our new found adventures and tourist dollars.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

You gotta love Washington Island at the end to the Door. They know how to welcome tourist. Went there a few years ago and still get e-mails promoting the Door and WI. When I was there it was to visit their medical center and their approach to HC on a remote island which was very refreshing. Also met with Friends of Washington Island a group formed years ago to promote all aspects of the Island but particularly tourism. Lessons that could be learned here on both counts. The openness of Washington Island could be a real learning experience to the perceived closed cliques of Beaver Island. I still hold out hope.
Kirk
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

We vacationed on Beaver Island for 11 summers. Towards the end we were renting cottages during summer for two and three separate weeks. The prices of the homes we were considering were fine, but the non-homestead taxes were unacceptable. We do not want to be landlords and rent out the prime weeks in the summer just to cover our taxes. Our family is at a place now were between my wife and I, our kids and extended family and friends we want a summer place. It's a shame, we're not alone. Beaver Island will need to figure this out. I'm sure we'll still visit once and while, but the desire to own a place on the island has vanished, and so have our dollars. - - Kraig

Oh, and by the way, if anyone would like 25 shares of boat stock send me a message.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Kraig,

Thank you for clearly elucidating a concern I have seen expressed over and over throughout the years. I have attempted to express the concern of future property owners such as you on numerous boards for many years. I will increase my efforts to bring forth an increased degree of fiscal accountability where I see it.

"This is the way it has always been done" doesn't cut it anymore, it is a failed strategy. There must be increased efforts to make the public institutions on Beaver Island more accountable to the taxpayers who which they serve.

Thanks again.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Nepotism has never be a part of Beaver Island's lexicon.
Kirk
Richards

Post by Richards »

In reading through this thread, I do have to smile to myself when BI taxes are brought up as something to be disgruntled about. Secondary home taxes are collected across the board in MI, and BI collects lower Mils than any of the surrounding communities. Can we please promote our Island and stop the perpetuation of this untruth?

After reading the info about Washington Island, Wisconsin, I looked into their property taxes, and discovered an interesting article: http://archive.jsonline.com/news/wiscon ... 6314.html/

Wisconsin collects taxes differently. "Wisconsin is alone in the Midwest and among eight states that treat apartments, factories, office buildings, vacation homes and primary residences the same." This is definitely a good move, if a community is looking to attract investors from the secondary home market (and they lived in another state where they could register their vehicle outside of WI, as well as count on the gov't not changing their minds mid-stream). The only down side is that those WI homeowners would not be here to enjoy this piece of paradise ;)

For your info, here's a link to MI Property Tax Estimator, where you can view the millages for each area of MI:
https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/ptesti ... imator.asp

Sheri Richards
BI Resident Realtor ~ Real Estate One
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Sheri,

You wrote: "In reading through this thread, I do have to smile to myself when BI taxes are brought up as something to be disgruntled about."

So lets look at a real life comparison using the MI Property Tax Estimator link you provided:

https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/ptesti ... imator.asp

Two years ago when we were determined, with cash in hand, to buy a "cottage" on Beaver Island this is what we ran into.

$350,000
Charlevoix County, St. James Twp. Beaver Island Community Schools
Non Homestead: $16,702 per year tax liability.

$350,000
Berrien County, Lake Township, Bridgman Schools
(on the shore of Lake Michigan, Weko Beach, Warren Dunes State Park, Silver Beach in St. Joseph. <---- one of the top 10 beaches according to Travel Magazine. More than 40% of our homes are second homes for the Chicago market)
Non Homestead: $10,245 per year tax liability.

I have a primary residence, 4 rental homes and a business in Lake Township, Michigan. I pay my fair share of non homestead taxes, I know the reality of owning a business and rental homes.

Sheri, for you to smile about an additional $6457 gives me cause to wonder about your sincerity and concern. Help me understand what you mean by "perpetuation of this untruth" I didn't provided the link to estimate the taxes. I had to do it two years ago the old fashion way with a pen and paper, but the results were the same.

My sister visited Beaver Island this summer for a couple of days. She enjoyed her visit, but her only real comment was to ask why half the island was for sale. She wondered if the official island flower was a realtor yard sign. She said they were EVERYWHERE.

Trust me I'm not here to bash the island, we will be back to visit, we just won't be back to buy, that ship sailed.

Kraig
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richards

Post by Richards »

Kraig,

I meant no offense when I mentioned "smiling" in my previous post. Over the years, I have noticed that taxes seem to get brought up on multiple threads having nothing to do with the subject. The fact that we all bear the brunt of taxes is real, but I think most Forum users haven't looked into how much or little we are actually taxed compared to other areas. The "perpetuation of this untruth", are those who state as fact that we are excessively taxed compared to other areas.

A real example:
In October, 2015, on Beaver Island, a 1,620 square foot home resting on 10 acres with 285' of Lake Michigan water frontage, was sold for the price of $365,000. The 2017 SEV for this property is $165,000. If you enter this amount into the Property Tax Estimator, you will find the owners paid a property tax of $7,249 in 2017. Normally the SEV is less than half of the purchase price of a property, and this is what an owner is taxed on.

Beaver Island property is definitely a bargain, and we have seen a huge increase in sales this year. I'm glad to hear you will be back next year, and hope to meet you in person. Stop in my office anytime!

Sheri Richards
BI Resident Realtor ~ Real Estate One