Crossing the Pond--- Are We There Yet?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JC

Crossing the Pond--- Are We There Yet?

Post by JC »

Hello all,

I have a 25' Catalina with a hull speed of 7-8 knots, does anyone know how long it might take to sail from here to harbor or petoskey? I'm aware it varies, but can someone give me a figure from, maybe a trip they took?

Thanks,

Joe.
Joe Crawford
448-2478
TjD

Beaver to Petoskey

Post by TjD »

I believe it can take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours. If you're sailing around Lake Michigan you'll need to get some good charts, GPS, and a great marine radio. Good Luck
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Make that GREAT charts, a good GPS and two marine radios....
seriously
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
JC

Thanks for the replies!!

Post by JC »

I took both pieces of advice. I picked Friday Last week (3rd ish) I learned that, say, "waves 2-4 building to 5-7" means there may be wave in exess of 9'.

It seems the wave readings and forcasting is for the top 1/3 of the largest waves AVERAGED, which means many will be smaller and a few, will be larger by a couple feet.

I experienced 5-8' mostly for about 3.5 to 4 hours, with 18-30 mph wind. Total on the way 5.5 hours, that is to petoskey marina. around 38 miles. Top speed 8.9 knots, not bad for a hull speed of 6.3 knots.

By the way, the trip back, exact opposite. I started with 15 knot winds, I left at 730 pm. The winds died and I motored for 10 hours with my 9.9 johnson on glassy seas. Beautiful night, stars and apparently a meteor shower. 12.5 hours on the way back.

It was a very unique experience and I'm grateful for having decided to go.

Thanks,

Joe.
Joe Crawford
448-2478