An update and an ask for help

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Fschoo

An update and an ask for help

Post by Fschoo »

Patty and I have a request and an update....

First as we reported to everyone earlier this season, we have had regular problems with tourists parking on our land and blocking our driveway. Now just recently Patty has been bad mouthed by trespassers. And I will not have this anymore...

After our last post I went ahead and posted "No Trespassing" signs on either side of our property and it has had no effect. In fact this is the second time a tourist group bad mouthed her (even with the signs up).

Also they drove their "truck" all the way through our property and over half way to state land... "to the base of the dunes, I.E., Critical Dunes". And the time previous the sheriff drove all the way out here to check and see if it was us who made the tracks.

Up to this point all of the islanders have been very considerate and everything is ok. But the jerks who badmouthed her said that someone "in one of the retail stores" told them about our property and said they could come here... "They can Not"...!!!

To repeat... The answer to this is "No, it is not ok for people to come here without permission".

This will not happen again. There are ways to deal with this, but we don't want to go this route... Suffice to say that we are now going to get in touch with our neighbors and have a serious discussion about limiting access.

We have paid for graveling this road, I have plowed this road (over a mile of it). We have patrolled this road and we have served as police for our neighbors. Also we have seasonal neighbors who have asked that no one come on their land (which people have in spite of it)

So whoever it was that said people could come here... "This is not OK, and they can not["

Fred & Patty
:x -X)
debrob2

Information...

Post by debrob2 »

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

Could you please give some information as to where your home is? I would be happy to abide by your wishes and ensure that my family all does the same, but I'm not sure where we are talking about.

I know this was asked before, but I could not find a response so maybe there is a very good reason you are not posting your location.

Blessings for a peaceful resolution.
duffer

Post by duffer »

end of redings trail !
duffy
AEW

Post by AEW »

Fred, what you go through is an old saga. Decades ago the same complaint was made by a couple people who owned land when it was pristine there long before you built your house in the dunes.

If my memory is right I believe it was determined that Mrs Reddings trail actually does go through your lot and partially into the lot south of you (see map on Charlevoix Equalization Departments website it shows Reddings trail crossing your land. So that makes it accessible to the public.

I remember property owners once putting up a gate there in the early to mid 90s. It was taken down because Mrs Reddings trail IS the public access to the dunes to the south of you.

I understand your frustration too as my family and I have had property on Reddings since 92. I too have had to pull out several people stuck in the sand.

But my memory may not be 100% accurate. Talk to Krys Lyle, Doug Tilley or Wild Bill Markey and I am sure they can give you the most accurate information.

Maybe there is a middle ground.

https://mangomap.com/charlevoix-county/ ... parcel-map#
AE Wirth
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

I can understand Fred and Patty's frustration.
We, too live on Mrs. Redding's Trail and enjoy walking down to the water and dunes on Greens Bay.

If the public access trail was properly marked and a reliable turnaround at the end of the MRT was established then tourists would be able to respect Fred and Patty's property and privacy.
There is always middle ground....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
pdevers

Post by pdevers »

We are also island residents and enjoy going to Greene's Bay to wander the state land on foot. In the past I have felt uneasy about walking the shore past the house to get around the point, which feels kind of intrusive, but is I believe, legal. At times we have walked the track of the road imprint, which I thought kept us farther away from the house, and was less intrusive to the residents.

I completely understand your outrage over a truck in the dunes. We have some very sensitive critical dune land near McCauley's Point and every few years someone on a ATV comes out and tears it up.

Sounds like the township could maybe solve the problem to everyone's benefit???
Fschoo

Something I believe needs to be said

Post by Fschoo »

Hi everyone,

At the the beginning of the season I posted a message about the difficulties we've encountered on our property, I.E., "Trespassing". And I think it might be helpful to restate it.

At the beginning of the season I brought this subject up on the forum because I thought it might be helpful by letting everyone know about what was happening. In this way I hoped people could inform tourists that this property was posted.

I also stated that we had absolutely "No Problem" with our residents. Because they've always been respectful and love this land as we do. Fact is "We want you to come here" and enjoy this beautiful land. And weâ??d love to have you stop in and say Hi when you do.

Our problem (and I'm betting yours) in regards to issues like this is with people / tourists, that come here and disrespect the people who live here, and break our laws.

Now as to the law "I know it" and the "No Trespassing" signs are here for a reason... And I've looked into what's legal in regards to that. Oh and the reason why they are posted on â??my property lineâ?￾ is because I wonâ??t post them on the property line of my neighbors (without their permission). However we are discussing these subjects with them as well

What needs to be understood is that

Our driveway has been blocked many times by jerks making it impossible for us to leave, in some cases all dayâ?¦ While (though not at the same time) Iâ??ve had to have an ambulance come here twice and go to critical care once.
We've had 4 wheelers driving on our Critical Dunes and weâ??ve been questioned by the Sheriff as to if we did it.
We've had tourists driving on those dunes, getting stuck and expecting us to haul them out, while yelling and swearing at my wife, at the same time.
They have expected us to loan them our phones.
They've left messes expecting us to clean it up.

Iâ??m curious, have you guys known about Piping Clovers the endangered species that lives here? Well the tourists donâ??t as theyâ??ve walked right over their nests in the past.

Look this is a private road Peane townshipâ??s resposiblities end at the begging of the 2 track road. And the responsibilities of all property owners after that â??Begins thereâ?￾â?¦ I know this because I alone have to plow it and gravel it as well... And this road is a mile long.

Now as to access... Both I and my neighbors have looked into it thoroughly. And when I built here there was a gate in place on the road for the very reasons I laid out above... Fact is that it is even pictured on the most recent Wojan map. And though no longer here, I also know who illegally took it down.

Now I was never looking for a debate when it comes to these posts, nor am I trying to be dismissive about how people feel concerning this land (because we built here, feel exactly the same way). As I've said all along "We welcome all residents and hope you'll stop in and say Hi when you visit".

However If you want a clean beach to come to and the island youâ??ve loved remain... It can only happen with your help. As we are all caretakers of this island and it will take us all to keep this beauty alive here.

Simply put In every single case the problems we've had has been with tourists. But I won't be sworn at, accused of things we would never do, and be disrespected by people who think they own the property Iâ??ve built on paid and cared for... And I'm over it...!!!

Look I am not angry with any of you... Please come and say Hi anytime

Fred... Patty can speak for herself