Jerry LaFreniere-Surgery

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Jerry LaFreniere-Surgery

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

It was suggested that I post this on the forum as weâ??ve had so many people asking about Jerry.

For those of you who are not aware, Jerry is scheduled for surgery at the U of M Hospital on July 17th. He has Squamos Cell Carcinoma (Skin Cancer) in the lymph nodes on the right side of his face. It is affecting his right eye and ear and is now traveling down into his jaw. The surgery will take 10-12 hours and he will be in the hospital for 7-10 days afterward. This will be followed up with radiation and possibly chemo.

Jerry is in quite a bit of pain and theyâ??re working on regulating his meds.

Jerry, the family and myself would like to thank everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers over the last few days.

Because Jerry is on so much medication he is sleeping a lot, so weâ??re asking that you please not call or stop by to visit.

We know you are all concerned and weâ??ll keep you updated via this forum.

Thanks,
Marie
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Jen and I would like to let you know we are thinking of you. We hope everything goes well at U of M. We are planning to visit the island a few times in August, hopefully Jerry is well enough to say hello.

Our thought are with you.

Mike Verleger
Marie LaFreniere

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting. Jerry hasn't been getting online much the last few days so I'll pass your message along to him.

Jerry spent a few hours at the Med Center yesterday. He was dehydrated so they had him on an IV for awhile. They also did a chest x-ray and he has a little touch of pneumonia. With the fluids and antibioctics he should be up for the surgery next week.

If anyone else would like to post their well wishes, I'll pass them along to Jerry.

Thanks,
Marie
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

Marie, I'm sure everyone who knows Gerry - and you - is wishing you both well! Joyce Bartels
BIHS volunteer
Janine

Post by Janine »

Hi Marie,
Please let Jerry know that Rick and I are thinking about him (and you) and sending positive thoughts and prayers his way. We hope to see you both when we finally get to the island, if we ever get out of Atlanta!
Janine
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I think it is time for you all to step up and show support for Jerry, this is not a funeral announcement, it is the very serious situation of a friend and relative of ours who needs prayer and support. I don't know if Dan Gillespie sang the song he wrote about Jerry this weekend at the Community Center but he did preview it for us "wimps" who went home after an already too long weekend and, it was very, very nice. Jerry needs your support right now and will continue needing it, nothing serves better than words of support! His wife has posted that calls are not the way to do it but I am sure we can all agree that the forum might just be the place, so, please, let's see some support for the guy who has been very central in making sure many of you have been entertained through the years!! GOOD LUCK JERRY!!
Last edited by Gillespie on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Green

Post by Kevin Green »

Jerry, my family will be praying for your speedy recovery. Good luck and God Bless.

Kevin
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Best wishes and good luck Jerry. You are in our prayers.

Steve
medic5740

Thoughts and Prayers

Post by medic5740 »

Our family's thoughts and prayers will be with the whole LaFreniere family, with special intentions for Jerry and Marie.

Danny's emotion-packed song was sung at the community center, was well received, and affected all of us present. In that spirit, we will continue.
Rosie Boyle

Lots of prayers coming your way

Post by Rosie Boyle »

I will be keeping you, Jerry, in my thoughts and prayers daily and I am sure that my guardian angel will be too.

Love,
Rosie Boyle[/i][/b]
E T

Take Care

Post by E T »

Jerry, You and Marie are in Linda's and my prayers. Take care and God Bless you both. I heard Danny's song on Saturday night at the Community House and it moved me, as I am sure it did many others.
Ed Troutman
38280 Beaver Drive
Beaver Island, Michigan 49782
Marie LaFreniere

We've heard rumors about the song but haven't heard it yet.

Timer, are you out there??
Penny

Post by Penny »

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Jerry and all of your family. God bless.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Gerry and Marie,

Donna and I want to wish you folks good luck when you go across next week and to let my old "shipmate" know that we are wishing him well.

Jim and Donna
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

Our hearts and prayers are with you during this troubling time. We hope the best for you always. Much love... Rory, Virginia and all the kids!