Should i bring my motorcycle?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

alexchannell

Should i bring my motorcycle?

Post by alexchannell »

I will be visiting the island for a few weeks and am wanting to bring the motorcycle but have a few questions if it is even worth it.

First, it is fully insured, registered, street legal. It has knobbies and can go pretty much anywhere offroad.

Now on the map, I see lots of roads/trails, but most are shown on "private" land. If I stay on the trails does this present a problem? Is cruising up the beachfront allowed or is the sand classified as private property too?
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

NO on the beach! There are forest roads on public land. The Chamber of Commerce offers a detailed map.

www.beaverisland.org
chamber@csyip.net
(231) 448-2505
alexchannell

Post by alexchannell »

Too bad not on the beach. One of the few places erosion isn't a concern at all, next time a wave comes in all the tracks are gone.
alexchannell

Post by alexchannell »

Chamber of Commerce wrote:NO on the beach! There are forest roads on public land. The Chamber of Commerce offers a detailed map.

www.beaverisland.org
chamber@csyip.net
(231) 448-2505
That is the map I looked at, however it is unclear if these are private or public roads. (Unless by "forest" roads you mean they are state forest roads, therefore pulic).
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

There are plants on the beach that are endangered and protected. Also some beaches are privately owned and tended. Motorized vehicles are damaging to the flora and above the high water line these marks are longer-lived than you might imagine.

Most of the private roads are marked as such. There are many, many miles of public roads that would be enjoyable on the right motorcycle. Most of the roads are gravel and some are quite sandy and could be difficult to negotiate with a street bike.

There are also a lot of deer on the island; especially at dusk. The woods come right to the road. Deer can pop out of the woods with very little warning and can run right into you. Being "hit by a deer" in a car is one thing but on a bike could be a lot worse.
Chamber of Commerce

"That is the map I looked at, however it is unclear if these are private or public roads."

This 2006 map http://www.beaverisland.org/map/index.html clearly shows public and private land as well as all roads and trails. It is only $5.00. I don't know of any up to date web map of Beaver Island.

Steve West
Chamber of Commerce
(231) 448-2505
chamber@csyip.net
JT Cain

Post by JT Cain »

There are no designated off road vehicle areas (trails, routes or scramble areas) in any of state forest lands on Beaver Island. So use off public roads in state forest land is not allowed. If your bike is legal and licensed to use on public roads, it can be ridden on public roads (i.e., roads usable by a car). Use on private trails requires landowner permission. No beach use anywhere. In short, if your plan is to tour on public roads as you would in your car, its fine. Otherwise, you may prefer to leave it home.
Chamber of Commerce

So use on public roads in state forest land is not allowed??????

?????? What ???????????? Deer and Turkey road only? :D

Alex call me.
Steve West
(231) 448-2505
Last edited by Chamber of Commerce on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
JT Cain

Post by JT Cain »

Better yet, Alex, contact the Michigan DNR. Here's what they will tell you:

Your motorcycle is an ORV under Michigan law:

Public Act 451 of 1994, Part 811, Off Road Vehicles:

324.81101(m)
â??ORVâ?￾ or â??vehicleâ?￾ means a motor driven off-road recreation vehicle capable of cross-country travel without benefit of a road or trail, on or immediately over land, snow, ice, marsh, swampland, or other natural terrain. ORV or vehicle includes, but is not limited to, a multitrack or multiwheel drive vehicle, an ATV, a motorcycle or related 2-wheel, 3-wheel, or 4-wheel vehicle, an amphibious machine, a ground effect air cushion vehicle, or other means of transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind. ORV or vehicle does not include a registered snowmobile, a farm vehicle being used for farming, a vehicle used for military, fire, emergency, or law enforcement purposes, a vehicle owned and operated by a utility company or an oil or gas company when performing maintenance on its facilities or on property over which it has an easement, a construction or logging vehicle used in performance of its common function, or a registered aircraft.

The DNR's ORV handbook states that in the LP, which includes Beaver Island, ORV's may be ridden only on designated trails, routes and scramble areas on state forest lands:

ORV Operation on State-Owned Lands
State Forest Lands

Areas generally administered by the Forest Mineral and Fire Management Division; boundaries are not normally marked.

* Upper Peninsula: ORV operation is permitted on designated trails and forest roads in the Upper Peninsula unless posted closed.
* Lower Peninsula: ORV operation is permitted on all designated trails, designated areas, and designated routes (forest roads that are posted as open) in the Lower Peninsula.
* Statewide: ORV use on designated trails is limited to vehicles 50 inches or less in width. Off-trail or off-route operation outside of a designated area is prohibited except for licensed hunters operating an ORV at speeds of 5 mph or less for the purpose of removing deer, bear, or elk.

Otherwise, you must stick to public roads traversable by a two-wheel drive automobile.

The DNR's number is: 517-373-1275.
McDonough

Post by McDonough »

My opinion is you should bring it. Miles and miles of back hidden roads to ride on. Is it register in Michigan? Or another state? Really I dont think it matters as long as its street legal. I think you will have alot of fun on it.
alexchannell

Post by alexchannell »

Thanks for all the help, I ordered a map.
The motorcycle is not an ORV (it is street titled in ohio) but is fully capable of off-road or any gravel roads (Honda XR650r).
Looks like I will be bringing it and staying on public roads.

This is the map I was looking at earlier: http://www.beaverisland.net/Places/Isla ... _bimap.gif
TreeHugger19

Post by TreeHugger19 »

Motorcycles and "knobbies" are damaging to the natural environment of the island, and they are dangerous to ride too! You guys are all the same, bringing loud, obnoxious, destructive "toys" onto our nice quiet island and ruining the environment for everyone just for you to have some fun and pop some "wheelies". Just leave the bike at home and go for some long walks instead.
markbec1

bikes

Post by markbec1 »

The island would be a great place to ride a street titled xr, I have one and wish I would of brought it on our trip to the island.
Last edited by markbec1 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Treehuggers account seems to have been created for just that one post. I think treehugger is a troll (A troll is a user of a newsgroup, forum or message board that posts messages with the intent of inciting an argument or flame-war.)

Best to just ignore it and maybe it'll get bored.
trollhugger04

Post by trollhugger04 »

Mr. Flanagan, kindly refrain from refering to people as "trolls". That's offensive to people and to trolls. Trolls have worked tirelessly to improve their image in society and to be accepted. In addition, motorcyles are the single biggest threat to trolls crossing bridges, as they are not as visible as cars.