Livingstone Studio will be closed this summer

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sct

Livingstone Studio will be closed this summer

Post by sct »

Livingstone Studio will be closed this summer.

Those words were hard to write. I have been procrastinating about sharing this for the last few weeks because I have been trying to get in touch with all of the artists first. Now reality is setting in, and time is going by quickly...Memorial Day is coming, and I won't be on the island to open the gallery for the first time in 24 years. I want to explain....

Last fall a family crisis came up, and ensuing responsibilities created a situation that was hard to predict in terms of time and financial uncertainty. I didn't know if it would last through the summer or longer. There was no time to work in the studio or plan for the season ahead..I lived a very "present moment" life for months. The dust has settled now, but I am still needed in Illinois with the exception of short trips back to the island. There is no easy solution, so difficult decisions needed to be made.

The galleries, and living at the cabins, have been a dream fulfilled...even when it didn't feel that way. Those first winters on the island taught me resillience and showed me I could live a very different lifestyle than I was used to. I have made life long friendships with people I have met on Beaver Island. I have loved giving artists and crafters a venue for their work. Many times I have sold their very first piece, and watching their confidence grow as their skills became more refined or they played in different mediums was a gift...seriously, you have no idea! Spring was my Christmas..opening each box, then finding the best way to display the creations in the most beautiful way possible...in those tiny cabins with the curving walls. Witnessing the joy customers expressed when they found their precious piece of art, jewelry or fine craft. I wanted the artists to experience for themselves, this appreciation others felt for their work. "Meet the Artists" was born with this in mind. I am so deeply grateful to all who helped make these shows wonderful...including the weather gods! Your generosity will never be forgotten!

To my wonderful, loyal customers...those who came with their babies and let me watch them grow into adults, summer by summer..I will miss you dearly. Those who shared their stories and hardships, the loss of partners, parents or health...those who have now crossed over...thank you, I have been honored by your sharing and blessed to know you. But this is not a funeral, it is a crossroad. Livingstone Studio will continue online for the time being, and who knows what the future will bring? I look forward to sharing information about the artists and where you can find their work, and I plan on getting back in the studio myself. I would love to hear from you, and I will share on facebook as the next chapter unfolds. You can reach me at 231-448-2975 after May 19th..calls are forwarded to Illinois, or 815-653-2149. My email is thomson@mc.net, or you can message me on facebook. I will be on the island in early June and again in July. I plan on having a sale of remaining inventory sometime in July. If anyone has a remaining balance on a gift certificate, please let me know. xo sue
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

A visit to Beaver Island was always brightened and highlighted with a visit with you at Livingstone Studio. Whiskey Island can be very lonely at times. You are a very special person among many and will be greatly missed this summer. Hopefully only a short separation that will make your welcome back be a reason for all to look forward to and celebrate. A big body of water separates us now but you will remain close in our thoughts and good wishes until then. :( :arrow: :D
Skull&CrossBones
sct

Post by sct »

You are so kind...thanks so much for your words and good wishes...I'm not sure who you are, but I appreciate your kindness ... :)