ORV's Ordinance

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Tuneman

ORV's Ordinance

Post by Tuneman »

There was a state senate hearing on an ORV bill, and we are wondering if there would be any interest here on Beaver Island to allow ORV's to use BI roads?
We understand that Ogemaw Co has had an ORV ordinance in effect since 2005.
We would like to see about getting an ordinance like this here on Beaver Island.
It seems to be pretty popular in Ogemaw Co as other townships of that county want the ordinance expanded to include their townships.
Is there anyone interested in seeing this happen?
AEW

Good Idea

Post by AEW »

I think this is a good idea, ORV's sure save on gas and as long as folks obey the rules of the road I fully support it. What the heck does the state have to do with this anyway? You know, we are grown ups and should be able to make these decisions at the local level right here on beaver island (we can just leave charlevoix out of it).
TjD

Lets do it!

Post by TjD »

We should do this and include golf carts as well.
larry hall

Post by larry hall »

I agree with AEW 100 %.
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

While I agree, given the uniqueness of Beaver Island, our local decisions should be made, well, locally, I donâ??t agree with the assessment of using ORVs on the roads as main forms of transportation. Thatâ??s why they are ORVs.

Not all â??folksâ?￾ will obey the rules of the road â?? not all car/truck drivers obey the rules of the road as it is. There would be speeding, reckless driving, trespassing, and, of course, driving under the influence. Plus, not all drivers will be â??grown ups.â?￾

When ORVs first came out many years ago, one of Dr. Ludwigâ??s daughters was nearly killed in a one-ORV accident on a main road. She was in a coma for a number of days and, because she was wearing a helmet was fortunate not to suffer brain damage or worse.

While we canâ??t prevent accidents from occurring, we can prevent foolish and/or needless ones.

Allowing ORVs on the roads would set a dangerous precedent and would be asking for trouble in the form of accidents and potential legal entanglements.

If you want safe and economical transportation come to the EV show on June 27-28 and check out the new and used offerings. You wonâ??t have to wear a helmet to drive one.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Yes we do not have to wear helmets with electric cars, but we should. We should wear helmets when in any vechicle, or walking on the street for that matter, as cyclists and skateboarders could run you down and do not forget, law abiding cyclists and boarders are wearing their helmets too !
Perhaps we should have a township ordinance mandating folks to wear kneepads when visiting the local pubs just in case they fall to their knees in a drunken stupor.....or better yet, muzzles, just in case they say something hurtfull while pontificating about local events :oops:

95% of all accidents are due to negligence.
Accidents CAN be prevented!

Unsafe behavior while using ORV's , motorcycles, bicycles, skateboards, and even lasangna, not properly chewed, will hurt you, however, properly used they are all good things to utilize.
I resent having to curtail my own use of a gas saving transportation device because some one else may possibly not be responsible for themselves or their offspring
If a person's behavior causes accident and injury to others, that is what jails are for.

it is not the ORV that kills... it is the person.
Let people be responsible for their own behavior and let freedom of responsible choice, prevail.
living in fear is not living at all.

btw:I have an electric car on order.
http://aptera.com/
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
257.625g

Post by 257.625g »

It is my belief that ORVs on the roadway would be a bad idea. As much as it is true that some accidents are avoidable, accidents are still going to happen, thats why they are called accidents. And getting into an accident on an ORV is alot different that getting into an accident in a normal car. There is a lot less protection offered on an ORV and the human body doesn't normally respond well to being tossed off a moving vehicle.
And as far as people being responsible on the ORVs, that is the reason they were banned on the roadways in Charlevoix county to begin with, because people were not, and someone has to pay to repair the damaged roadways caused by irresponsible ORV operation.
AEW- as much as people would like to think otherwise, this is still Charlevoix county, and this is still Michigan, and this is still part of the US. And as much as I agree certain decisions should be made locally, I believe others should not be. The problem with this decision being made at a local level presents two problems, 1. The improved roadways are owned by the County of Charlevoix. 2. The USDOT/OHSP dictates the rules of the road in US and MI.
Aside from that, Beaver Island is known for its natural beauty and scenery. If ORVs are allowed to operate on the roadways, they would be everywhere, ruining walking trails, hunting grounds, beaches, etc. Also some of them are very noisy. Can you imagine sitting on your back porch enjoying the sun set into the lake, frogs chirping, birds singing, and dirt bikes revving their engines, four wheelers screaming down the road, oh yeah and since they can cut through the trees, trespassing into your back forty to take a short cut. Now I'm not saying every ORV operator would do this, but some would.
Aside from these reasons, there is a reason that almost every county in the state has banned ORVs on the roadways, and especially out here where there is a large number of out-of-town visitors, they can come out, tear up the roads and leave, and not have to deal with driving on the messed up road for the next two weeks while they go back to their county that has banned this action and has nicer roads. Someone should contact Ogemaw County and see if they do allow ORVs on the road, and how it worked out for them.
That is my two cents.[/i][/b]
McDonough

Post by McDonough »

If you want to drive something that is less exspensive to operate. Look into motorcycles or mopeds. There are a lot that are street legal and good for trails too. They are called enduros. Made for both dirt and street. I think something like that would be perfect for the island. And they are a blast to ride.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Motorcycles are great, I agree, however, anywhere a ORV can go so can an enduro bike, so it comes back to the responsibility of the rider. I keep my dualsport sidecar bike on the island. I do not ride where am not supposed to. If I had an ORV, I would be the same rider.
And I will contend that "motorcycle accidents" are at least as ugly as an "ORV accident". Been in a few over the last 40 years. ALL were due , in the end, to negligence, mine or someone ele's.
Maybe a little classroom education about responsible riding should be mandatory with the priviledge of being able to operate an ORV on the island and then of course there is jail time and hanging for law breakers......... :roll:
Ben Franklin
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Bolt, I have watched this thread evolve and must say, in my 53 years, starting yesterday, it would be laughable but that would be a "fall in" attitude! When I was a kid "and Shep was a pup" I rode a Honda 50 up and down the streets of this island hundreds of times! Not once, other than in jest, did I threaten someones life or place in society. It usually was founded or ended in laughter. Where have we gone? Some days I wonder! I vividly remember Little Harry riding his 2 and 3 wheeled Cushman scooters down the street here, now he cannot! It was never Harry that "broke" the rule, it was never Harry that said, "bend the rule". All of the failings and loss of liberty were caused by people not parenting their kids, and, as a consequence, we all suffer, as an example. If we could have an ORV ordinance, we should, and those who want to disallow it should go somewhere that it is disallowed! Why can't we be a little more tolerant of people who cannot reach the pedals? Now, if they are not smart enough to get out of the way of a loaded dump truck it shouldn't be societies responsibility! If you have the right to enter the road, you had better know what the rules are and should not be able to blame something on someone else (no matter how good your lawyer is!). Be responsible, drive your "rig" whatever it may be, and, if something bigger is coming along, use the rule the cavemen must have, get out of the way! If you are 45 years old or more, you know what I am talking about! If you have had a miserable life, forget it, but, you can drive a farm tractor down the street with an orange triangle hanging on it, but you cannot drive a golf cart.........why?
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

Could'nt agree with you more John. We've allready got a big gang of moped riders but only a handfull of motorcycles and enduro's. Of couse anything over 49cc requires a motorcyle endorsement on your license. Not to hijack this thread but I wonder if anybody would be interested in going in together on having a instructor come to the island. The expense split a couple ways would be little compared to taking a bike to the mainland on a trailer to take the test... Back on topic...I'm pro scooter, moped, 3-wheeler, 4-wheeler, golf cart, motorcycle, gator, ranger, electric car...etc. etc. Heck I think we should be allowed to ride a weed whacker if we can figure out how to put wheels on it! :lol: Anything we can do to reduce gas consumption...As far as safety ..follow the rules of the road and keep the young'ns off em.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

As I have told you before Rich, You island fathers should get proactive and form a plan in which you approach one of the big car makers in Michigan and "offer up" Beaver Island as a controlled experiment to outfit all the residents with electric or hybrid transportation. In return you would agree to monitor the cars , make suggestions and let them use you in a big ad campaign....
" Beaver Island has gone Green, is forging ahead to the future, etc.... all with the help of GM!! (or Ford!!, or Toyota for that matter.)
Sound Crazy?
I think those guys down in Detroit are a bit desparate right now and are looking for new avenues. (excuse the pun)
Energy is going to be the deciding factor in the Island's economic future, much more so than the rest of this country. And the future of the rest of the country looks a bit dismal due to the lack of premptive planning on business' part.
( I cant help but add at this point the caveat that the present administrations energy policy IS working as planned, with energy companys' profits at record levels, that WAS the plan , right?? ):wink:
Now is the time to lobby the legislature to give the island property owners special tax credits to invest in renewable energy, ie. electric cars. The move would makes them look good and it is a miniscule area in the state that they would actually have to give back some taxes to.
Getting ahead of this curve will be paramount to the success of the Island energy challenge.
As the rest of the country wakes up in the near future to incredibly high energy prices, they should be looking towards Beaver Island as an example of what to do, rather than just another casualty of failed policy.
In the meantime, stop gap measures such as ORV use are to be commended as such, but not considerd the solution.
Ben Franklin
markbec1

orv's

Post by markbec1 »

I was thinking of bringing my Polaris Ranger up to the island, I have made it street legal so I guess I will not have to worry about if the island allows or does not allow orv's on the streets.
I do feel like it would be a good thing for the island to allow orv's on the public roads, we have rode in the areas of the state that now allow it and when we talk to the residents they say nothing but positive things. Sure you may get a rare someone who breaks the law but people do that in cars as well.
Tuneman

ORV's Ordinance

Post by Tuneman »

Thank You All for all the comments on this subject. If you are still interested in having this ordinance come about Please attend the Planning commission meeting this Tuesday evening at 7:00 pm at the Peaine Township Hall to show your support.
We will be there to discuss with the Planning Commission about what to do about getting this ordinance passed. We will also have with us the ordinance from Ogemaw County that we can hand out to everybody to take a look at to get some ideas as to what we want to see in our own ordinance for Beaver Island and get some input about this subject.
Planning Commission Meeting Tuesday Evening June 10th at 7:00 pm at
the Peaine Township Hall. Please Attend to show your support.

Tuneman
Tuneman

re: ORV's Ordinance

Post by Tuneman »

I will not be attending the Planning Commission Meeting this evening at Peaine township hall, but instead will attend the Peaine Township Meeting tomorrow night.
Evidently the Planning Commission cannot approve of anything that comes before them. They can only listen.
I guess the Township meetings are the ones to attend, if anything is to get approval or be approved.
So attend Peaine Township Board Meeting on Wednesday, June 11th at 7:00 pm at the Peaine township hall.
I will be at this meeting instead with the ORV Ordinance for Ogemaw County if anyone wants to look at this ordinance at this meeting.
Please Come To Show Your Support!!!!!

Thanks!

Tuneman.