In-Coming Birds

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Baltimore Oriole reported from the SE corner of the island. Northern Mockingbird on apple tree by LSB. American Bitterns at Barney's Lake and south of Nig Greene's field in wetland. Black-throated Green Warblers observed and singing. Magnolia Warblers arrived. As much as the midge hatch is a nuisance for us, I'm watching a dozen little warblers devouring those midges. It is a feast to replenish their protein stores and ready their bodies for breeding season. Many of these little birds have come from the jungles of South America. Amazing feat and Mother Nature knows when to provide the banquet! :D
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Flocks of White-crowned Sparrows today. Creasser's reported Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, 3 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at Saxton's home on the SE corner, Ovenbirds, Pine Siskins, and Palm Warblers observed on east side, and Piping Plover back in the Leelanau-keep checking those shorelines. :shock:
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

One American White Pelican observed circling the northern harbor area at 11:20.
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Baby Sandhills

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Two crimson colored Sandhill colts (chicks) were seen with parents in Nig Greene's field (Kings Highway and Paid Een Og) this evening. Sandhill Cranes mate for lifeâ??which can mean two decades or moreâ??and stay with their mates year-round. Juveniles stick close by their parents for 9 or 10 months after hatching.
McGrass
sallys

Post by sallys »

I saw a pileated woodpecker today in our backyard on Font Lake!

Sally Stebbins
Sharolyn

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Post by Sharolyn »

I have had a Rose breasted Grosbeak at my feeder twice that I have seen. While I know they visit the area this is the first time I have had them at the house. I wish we could post pics I actually got a pretty good one about 2 hrs ago.
Sharolyn Hunter
capncinde

Two families of Woodcock

Post by capncinde »

I've seen a family of four on Kings Hwy near the Medical Center, and a family of five on Donegal Bay Rd...see the video here of a strut across the street...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEshiRacJCw