Roy Elsworth-RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Roy Elsworth-RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Sad to report that Roy Elsworth, long time island resident and businessman has passed away. I think Roy came here in 1978 and sold land for the Beaver Island Timber Company and Ski and Shore Real Estate in those early days later buying the Erin Motel which he had for many years. Roy's kind word or sometimes quick wit will be missed around here! More information will be posted as it becomes available.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

For those who may not have had the honor of knowing Roy, he was the epitome of Beaver Island and will be greatly missed. We need more like him. Sail (fly) on my friend, be safe.
Skull&CrossBones
conanconnor

Post by conanconnor »

I am going to miss Roy dearly. He would always come across the street to the hardware and ask for my assistance with odd jobs around the hotel. Things he was getting to old to do, like crawling in the crawlspace or setting up his fish tank, heavy lifting, etc. He gave me my first compound bow and crossbow to start deer hunting with. The island will mourn his passing, but we should rejoice in the great life he lived and all the adventures he had.
King Conan
medic5740

Roy Elsworth Obituary

Post by medic5740 »

Roy Elsworth, father, grandfather, brother, and friend passed on February 17, 2017, in his Beaver Island home. He was 79 years old.

Roy Harvey Elsworth was born March 13, 1937, in East Jordan, Michigan, to Carl and Lydia Elsworth. He graduated from Michigan State University in 1963 He began worked at Agrico and later managed the Hiawatha Sportsman Club prior to moving to Beaver Island in the late 1970â??s as a Realtor. In the following years, Roy became the proprietor of the Erin Motel. 

Roy was a passionate sportsman and aviator, which led him to travel widely, both for seeing and experiencing other countries and cultures, sights and to hunt game. He also enjoyed many pets, horses, restoring cars, and building everything, (from clocks to airplanes). He was constantly reading, learning and inspiring, while humbly teaching, helping and guiding anyone and everyone who was in need. His capacity for giving selflessly, laughter, puns & practical jokes will never be forgotten and will remain with us until we meet again.

Roy is survived by his former wife Beatrice (Snarski) Elsworth and his three children: Shari Wojciehowski (Terry Zornow and his children Taylor and Molly) of Little Chute WI; Duane Elsworth (Cindy) of Pittsfield MA; Roger Elsworth of Menominee MI; his brother Ray and grandson Michael (special friend Abby). Also his 'step daughter' Yvonne Maison of Rexton MI, nephews and nieces: Neil Erno (JoAnn), Greg, Ken and Don Erno, Karen Huszarik and Tammy Walter-DeSonia.

A memorial gathering will be announced at a future date, in which all will be able to celebrate Roy's life. In lieu of flowers, please donate to the Beaver Island Wildlife Club, P.O. Box 103, Beaver Island, MI 49782.
Elsworth

Roy's Memorial

Post by Elsworth »

Hello.
Dad's Memorial will be on Saturday, May 27, from noon to 4:00pm at Circle M. All are welcome to join us in a luncheon and celebrating his amazing life, share stories & memories.
From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you all, for your condolences, prayers, love and especially for the outpouring of support & help.
Shari, Duane & Roger
duffer

your Dad

Post by duffer »

! wow I am going to miss roy I came about the same time roy did in the 70.s, always a devout customer and friend, many a conversation in my shop over hunting, cars, food, his wind generator! yes we even partnered up on a log splitter for years. he will defiantly be missed! LOVE YOU ROY!
duffy
Elsworth

Post by Elsworth »

Hello,
Reminder that Dad's Memorial will be Saturday, May 27th at Circle M from noon to 4:00pm. Hope to see you all and trade stories!
Shari
robertg

Post by robertg »

When I came over to the island to interview for the job I've held (and loved) for 3 years, Roy gave me a room at the Erin for a ridiculously low rate , lots of Island advice, and an offer to let me stay with him until I found housing for the winter. He was also my first experience with an islander offering to let me borrow his car, no questions asked. He was a class act and will be missed.
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher