Betty Welke

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Angel Welke

Betty Welke

Post by Angel Welke »

Betty passed away Thursday March 27, 2008 at Holly Convalescent Center. Arrangements are pending. I will post additional information as it becomes available.
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

What a sad day! My deepest sympathy to all of Betty's family.
Bill and Betty were regular customers for lunch at the Shamrock, and two of my favorites. They always tried hard to be as little trouble as possible. Though they liked to split a lunch, they'd opt for soup if they saw that I was too busy.
I was always impressed that, after all those years together, they never seemed to run out of things to talk and laugh about. Betty loved a banana cream pie, and I'd often bring her one for her birthday. According to Bill, she was like the police the way she rationed out the pieces.
Betty was always very kind to me. I'll miss her.
Cindy
beckyg24

Post by beckyg24 »

Cindy it is so funny to think back to the days when I used to work at the Shamrock. I remember Bill and Betty coming in for lunch or dinner and I always had the hot tea and diet coke waiting. Thinking about it just puts a smile on my face. Paul sorry for your loss. She was a great person!
adams3ae

Post by adams3ae »

I remember going to the airport to see one of my many family members leave for the summer and we would go to the barn, across the road from the house, and we would try and catch a bunny and Betty would always say "If you catch one you can take it home". We never could get our hands on one of those bunnys but we had fun trying. She will be greatly missed. Paul and Angle you are in my thoughts and prayers along with the rest of the Welke family.
Abbie and Kendi :cry:
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Our deepest condolences to Jean, Paul, Mark, Ann, and Carl and to their families.

Jerry and Marie
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

When I had Dockside Market I was in a "Christmas Mood" and had taken a bunch of Halloween candy that was becoming out of date and put it in tins with was paper and passed it out to folks. I went out to get my newspapers and brought a tin for Bill and Betty. She came to the door and I said Merry Christmas and handed her the tin. Now, over a period of years we had our battles but that was pretty much settled. However, when she saw the tin was unsealed she popped the top off and was looking rather quizickly at the contents. I said, "Its ok Betty I ate one on the way out here", she grinned, said "Merry Christmas" and went back in the house. I laughed about that for the longest time.

There were times you weren't sure where you stood with her, comical. One time Chuck Schellenberg attempted to head off that question and when he approached her, before she could say anything he said, "You know Betty, you have the prettiest smile, you should smile more". Now thats what you call disarming!!

And let's not forget the famous "Betty Bag" where the envelopes and prescriptions got shipped in and out.

Condolences to the Welke children! Some of you are forgetting she had a couple more than Paul!!

Those who remember the article with Mama Bird, Papa Bird and so on, we still have to assign a name to Angel, why does "Tweety Bird" keep popping into my head!!!
debrob2

Betty Welke

Post by debrob2 »

Loyalty...I think that is the thing I admired most about Betty... She and Bill came to my grandmother's aid when my Grandpa passed away in 1977...and literally checked on her almost every day of her life until she the day she died in December of 1997.

Betty, they just don't make 'em like you anymore...
God Speed! (And say hi to 'gram' for me will ya?)
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

My deepest sympathy to the Welke family.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Welke family- I'm sure that "her Bill" was waiting for her with loving arms.
Angel Welke

Betty Welke Obituary

Post by Angel Welke »

Betty J. Welke
October 17, 1928 â?? March 27, 2008
Beaver Island, Michigan

Betty passed away March 27, 2008 at Holly Convalescent Center, Holly, MI. She was born on October 17, 1928 in Portland, Indiana, to Pauline and Lee Culter. She grew up in the Wixom / Walled Lake area outside of Detroit and graduated from Walled Lake High School in 1946. On December 28, 1946 Betty married the love of her life, William (Bill) Welke (1922-2002).

Betty was a longtime member of Holy Cross Catholic Church.

Betty was predeceased by her husband, Bill and her parents. She is survived by her brother, Richard and her five children and their spouses: Jean and Bruce Kinsley of Beaver Island; Paul Welke and Angela LeFevre of Beaver Island; Mark and Sue Welke of Marquette, Michigan; Carl and Laurie Welke of Tecumseh, Michigan; and Anne Welke and Bruce McPhilips of Charlevoix. Also surviving are Billâ??s brothers and sisters-in-law are Robert and Sue Welke of Beaver Island; Donus and Dory Welke of Archbold, Ohio; and Charles and Catherine Welke of Beaverton, Michigan as well as many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces, and nephews.

Bill and Betty lived in the Walled Lake area from the time they were married until they moved to Beaver Island in the late 1960s. When they arrived on the Island they started several family businesses including Welke Excavating and Welke Aviation (which eventually became Island Airways). Betty was the main bookkeeper and crew manager of all of the family undertakings. She was instrumental in the establishment and on-going success of Island Airways.

Betty shared a passion for flying with Bill and some of her most treasured times were in â??Yellow Birdâ?￾ their Cessna 195. Together they enjoyed many flying adventures.

Also dear to Betty were here beloved dogs (Katie, Kelly, Marnie, Casey, Snoopy, and many others) and other pets. So many people visited the â??bunny barnâ?￾ located at Welke Airport on Beaver Island â?? it was a mission of Bettyâ??s to keep the bunnies happy and healthy so the children could enjoy them and chase them as soon as their flight landed. So many children (now adults) still come to Welke Airport to show their children and grandchildren the rabbits at the â??Hareport..

A memorial service will take place at Holy Cross Catholic Church April 7, 2008 at 11:00am with Father Pat Cawley officiating.

In lieu of flowers the family is requesting that donations be made to the Holy Cross Catholic Church / Ellen Welke Memorial Fund, c/o General Delivery, Beaver Island, Michigan 49782.