Beaver Island Electric Car Show 6/27-28

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dan Wardlow

Beaver Island Electric Car Show 6/27-28

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Just a heads-up that Beaver Island will have an electric car show June 27-28. Two dealers will be bringing over 4 cars (Zenn, Zap, GEM, and a Vantage truck), and I'm sure some Islanders will be showing theirs as well. Test drives will be available for all of the cars too. Location is the brick paver area in front of the Shamrock and Harbour Market.

Sponsors of the show are North Central Zenn (New London, OH) and The Shamrock and Harbour Market.

If you want to check out the cars:
http://www.zenncars.com
http://www.zapworld.com
http://www.gemcar.com
http://www.vantagevehicle.com/
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

What a great event. Good work organizing this, Dan.
I checked out the Vantage trucks and vans. Cool beans.
I look forward to this event.
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Well done Dan! Time is great in the June "sholder season"
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Just heard from the GEM dealer that he will be bringing over 10 cars, a mix of new and used, and that he'll be in the mood to wheel 'n' deal. A total of 13 EVs will roll off the ferry that arrives at 10:45 am on Friday 6/27. Should be a fun thing to watch!
DwightEarly

Post by DwightEarly »

Bummer! I can't be on the Island then.

Dan, please post any after event information such as who to contact for the vehicles. (I'm really interested in car-like vehicles.) You don't have to report like Consumer Reports. But, any info would be great.

--Dwight
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

For GEM vehicles, contact Frank Veraldi at Fox Motors in Charlevoix:
(231) 547-9900
For Zenn, Zap, and Vantage, contact Vic Staley at North Central Zenn (Ashland, OH) (419) 929-9366
Chamber of Commerce

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... /index.cfm

Beaver Island Electric Care Show (with photo) makes Neal Rubin's Detroit News Blog. Scroll down as the blogs continues each day.

Dan,

Will the the electric truck from "Beaver Motors" be in the show?

Steve
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Thanks for the link to Rubin's column!

RE: the Dodge Dakota pickup conversion from Inland Auto EV ... I'll talk to Jeff about that. He has begun work, but I don't know if it will be complete "enough" to show on 6/27. Inland Auto EV has signed on as a show sponsor, so I know Jeff will be there to talk about the truck as a work-in-progress. I will encourage him to bring it to the show.

It looks like he's shooting for 50 mph and around a 50-60 mile range with the truck with only a minimal decrease in load capacity from the original truck specs. Batteries will be under the truck bed.
Chamber of Commerce

"It looks like he's shooting for 50 mph and around a 50-60 mile range"

That would be "the B I truck" if he can do it! :D
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

I have no doubt Jeff will build it with those performance specs. That's actually a pretty typical baseline EV conversion for a small pickup. Might have to charge it on 220v though to get an overnight full charge.
Dan Wardlow

Update on the cars coming over for the show on Friday ...

Post by Dan Wardlow »

The two dealers have finalized which cars they're bringing for the EV show on Friday.

North Central Zenn will bring:
1 ZENN car
1 Miles ZX460s car
1 Miles truck

Fox Motors of Charlevoix will bring:
4 new GEMS (rumor is one is already sold!)
5 used GEMS (ranging from $4,500 to $8,000)
1 used Ford Think! City

The Think! City is a very unusual LSV ... built in Norway, Ford brought around 350 to the US in 2000/01. Not a huge success in the Ford way, so Ford sold their interest in Think! to a group of Norwegian investors. They're about to re-enter the US market with an advanced version of the Think! City in 2010. You can see that car here. The older version of the Think! City that will be coming to the island looks similar, but performs like the LSVs already on the island. Rumor has it the price will be good, and it's in excellent shape.
Chamber of Commerce

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/20 ... 659049.txt

Nice story in Petoskey News review. Well done Dan!!!! :mrgreen: !!!!! These srories don't just happen my friends. Nice piece in the Courier as well.
Dan Wardlow

correction on the Ford Think! car

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Just found out today that the used Ford Think! car is a "Neighborhood" and not a "City" as I posted above. The Think! Neighborhood is very similar to the GEM. It seats 4, has "soft" doors (fabric), has only 1,100 miles on it, and has a new set of batteries. Very sharp and clean car ... just wanted to correct my earlier post.
Chamber of Commerce

Dateline Beaver Friday 6-27 / 12:17

A bunch of folks looking at the electric cars. First sale before noon. On Powers web cam you can see a few cars and test dives on main street. www.beaverisland.org

Well done Dan!
Michelle LaFreniere

Tee Hee

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

Steve,
Are they amphibious vehicles? Where can I take a test dive?? LOL