Sailing around Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BIdreaming

Sailing around Beaver Island

Post by BIdreaming »

Hey everyone. I've been coming to BI for about five years now, and ever since I first set eyes on the place, it's been my dream to cruise around the archipelago. Last year I started learning sailing on a 14' dingy, this year I upgraded to a 16' boat that is larger, roomier, and heavier. I don't think it's big enough to sail from the mainland, but I have a reservation on the Emerald Isle to take it across for me.

If nothing else, it will be fun to sail around the harbor, but I'm wondering if people have had success sailing this type of boat around to the other islands? I'm thinking a day trip, set off at 8am, head to Garden or High and then be back before 8pm.

My thought is only sail to an island when there are forecasted clear skies and only visit islands that are windward from BI. I also have a 54lb thrust electric motor that can push the boat about 5mph for two hours in case the wind dies.

Is this doable or am I insane? I don't have a radio, and I'm doubting cell phone service works over at high, garden or hog. That might be a deal breaker right there. Is there regular boat traffic around there if we were to get into trouble? The boat has enough internal flotation in it that it cannot sink, and I've practiced righting it in the unlikely event that we capsize. I won't be alone, I'll have 3 other adults with me. Will my electric be a good fail safe (I also have paddles, god forbid), or should I look into renting an outboard. Does anyone rent outboards on the island? I seem to remember a place that did that also rented kayaks and other stuff on the harbor... If this is doable, what should I know about the area? The water between Hog and High seems incredibly shallow, how shallow is it? My draft with centerboard deployed is just under 4'. Should I avoid the area altogether? I've got a few maps printed out and an old PDF of a Michigan DNR report on the main islands that has points of interest and good harbors and anchorages. What am I forgetting or what do I need?

If going to the other islands is crazy, I assume I could actually sail around Beaver without too much trouble. If I get in trouble, just beach and call for help. Would that be good thinking?

Our trip is next week. I've checked the weather, and so far it looks really nice, but things change quick on the lake. Is the weather fairly stable for a day, or do storms come out of no where? Thanks in advance, can't wait to be back!
Donegaljim

Post by Donegaljim »

Sailing around here without a radio is just not smart. Rethink that plan.
Jim Birdsall
conanconnor

Post by conanconnor »

It is very doable, I have known a few folks that have done it multiple times. however I strongly suggest you have a radio, just in case of emergency. especially if you have never done it before. there is a lot of gorgeous open water out there, but there are hidden rocks and scholls around to be cautious of.
King Conan
BIdreaming

Post by BIdreaming »

So I can grab a handheld VHF unit and be good to go?
Donegaljim

Post by Donegaljim »

A good start. While you are shopping consider adding marine flares to your list. Overkill? When you are in trouble, how much help do you need? As much as you can get is the answer.
Jim Birdsall
PScott

Post by PScott »

First and most importantly, take a safe boating class. You can do the Coast Guard one online, I believe. It is vital to have the basics of boating down cold. And it will teach you what you're required to have on board. Flares, life jackets and which type, etc.,
It would be good to have a depth finder on your boat. And study the charts. Ideally you'd have a Garmin installed so you'd have charts and depth information. And a marine radio for sure. It is much closer to go to Garden and I'd suggest doing that once you've gotten used to your boat in the harbor. Circumnavigating the island is a long trip and you'd need much more experience before you try that.
Trish Scott
PScott

Post by PScott »

Don't think that ditching a sailboat is a good plan. It could smash up on rocks and folks could get hurt.
Trish Scott
BIdreaming

Post by BIdreaming »

I do have a flare gun, that is a good suggestion. I also have at this point two years of sailing experience, well, almost two full sailing seasons, anyway.

Pscott; Ditching a sailboat? What do you mean? I'll probably run it up on shore when I get to a beach/harbor I want to explore. The rudder and centerboard both retract, so why not. Garden is the destination I'm most interested in anyway, but I think which one is windward towards Beaver is the most important consideration. Maybe I'm wrong.

The boat is just a 16', so I'm not going to have the room nor power for lots of paper charts much less a navigation system. I will look into something for my cell phone, but I'm going to be relying on my eyes and my boats shallow draft and relatively light weight to keep from running aground, god forbid. Actually, I just checked, and there are tons of navigational apps my phone supports, that might be handy. Looks like you can download charts for the area, so you don't have to rely on data connections.
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

So, are looking to go on an adventure or a safety cruise? Pack some food, a small cook stove and fuel, raise your sails and go. It's not like you're planning a solo trip around the world. Go have some fun. Is there an element of danger? Sure, but that's part of the fun. As for communication, I received a cell phone call from Garden Island not that long ago, so there's that. Besides, there's all kinds of boat traffic around the islands and if you run into rocks you're not going to be so far from some landform that you can't swim to it. Okay, on second thought, keeping a container of waterproof matches in your pocket might be a good idea. Have fun. Stay alert. Be somewhat careful. And write a story about your trip when you're done.
wmarkey

Post by wmarkey »

As Frank said you'll do just fine. Then there are those who might add, if you are going on a "three hour cruise" the only question would be, "do I bring Ginger or Marianne"?
"Our problems are man-made,
therefore they can be solved by man."
JFK
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I send texts from over there all the time when I am fishing, I use Verizon.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
BIdreaming

Post by BIdreaming »

Haha, I've already got my Mary Ann, she's definitely up for an adventure, so that's one less choice to make. Thanks for the fantastic replies, everybody.

One other thing, where do you launch at in St. James? Is there a courtesy dock nearby? Should I consider getting a slip at the marina just so I can leave everything rigged? Should I go with the municipal or other dock? Are there any launches on the north or west side of the island?