Harbor Froze Over

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Sean

Harbor Froze Over

Post by Sean »

Thanks to the Power's DIB web cam. I see the harbor has frozen over...It has appeared to be a mild winter up there until now. I have a look once a week atleast...I saw rain this month!!! Plus no snow on the ground. I see you have some snow now :mrgreen: How often do the Straits of Mackinac freeze over? Freeze over last year? last question...Now that the Arcadia is gone is the ice being broken by a cutter in the spring?
Sean McDonough

Sean

Post by Sean »

300 views and not one comment? :roll:
Sean McDonough

JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I was curious about the straits as well seeing that I am an expatriate here on the island!
This link says that the straits freeze over nearly every year-

http://www.boatnerd.com/facts-figures/huroncp.htm

I imagine the coast guard will find a way to cut us out in the spring!
McDonough

Post by McDonough »

I herd it hasnt been freezing the last few years. And they have a new ice breaker but I dont know the name of it. I found it funny that no-one has replied. :roll:
Sean

Post by Sean »

Found a photo Taken On: 2005:04:22 15:33:35 by NASA. I would have guessed more of it froze over.

Thanks for the link Jeff...
Found this:
(20) Ice.-- The first waters to form an extensive ice cover are Green Bay and the Bays de Noc. The Straits of Mackinac and the shallow areas N of Beaver Island usually follow. The Straits are usually closed by mid-December. (See the discussion of ice in the Straits of Mackinac in chapter 10.) These buildups are aided by windrows resulting from prevailing winds and currents. In a normal winter, an early ice cover is established by the end of January and includes the above-mentioned waters plus the extreme S part of the lake. In general, ice accumulates in a southerly direction with a rapid buildup in the shallows E of Manitou and Fox Islands. In this area, the prevailing NW wind traps ice between the land masses and, with the exception of Grand and Little Traverse Bays which are solid, vessels can expect to encounter drifting ice. The surface features and location of the ice fields change as a direct function of the wind. Shores exposed to the full force of the wind often have large ice fields of very heavy brash extending 1 to 2 miles offshore. In addition, a circular current pattern in the S part of the lake distributes drifting floes along the shore. Even during a mild winter, these floes can build out 10 to 15 miles into the lake. A mild winter on Lake Michigan means about 10-percent coverage compared to an average 40-percent coverage and an 80-percent coverage during a severe winter. Maximum ice coverage occurs by mid-March, on the average, while decay begins a week or two later. By mid-April, ships are once again transiting the Straits of Mackinac.
Sean McDonough

Dan Wardlow

Re: Harbor Froze Over

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Sean wrote:It has appeared to be a mild winter up there until now. I have a look once a week atleast...I saw rain this month!!! Plus no snow on the ground. I see you have some snow now
This winter has not been as mild as last. Where we live (in the woods), we have 18-24 inches on the ground, and a few piles around the house where snow has fallen off the roof that are 5-6 feet tall. We've really only had one thaw this winter, and even that didn't melt all the snow. So we've had snow on the ground pretty consistently since late November. And a few cold snaps down to around 5F with some pretty heavy winds providing some blizzard conditions.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks. Sounds like a good amount of snow. Looks pretty wintery on the cam now...Snow and ice on the harbor.
Sean McDonough

Sean

Post by Sean »

McDonough wrote:I herd it hasnt been freezing the last few years. And they have a new ice breaker but I dont know the name of it. I found it funny that no-one has replied. :roll:
The new cutter is the Mackinaw. Nicked named the Smackinaw right after the coasties got it. 90° turn in the grand haven channel and t-boned the break wall...Here is the video Looked in old issues of the beacon and looks like the new breaker is a fishing boat. I think he has done it for years...No mention of a cutter showing up. Seem to remember some concern cuz it had a big area to cover..Always a article in the beacon in the past. Acacia (WLB-406) showed up every year in early april in the past..No mention in the beacon last year of a cutter showing up to clear the harbor!

Sean McDonough

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Sean, We didn't have enough ice in the Straits 8 years ago on 1-29 I can tell you that!! COLD!! Flew to CVX today, there was ice most of the way across but I am sure it was shell ice. Anyway, in the midst of a snow squall at my daughters house in Traverse, hope to fly home tomorrow, cheers!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Gillespie wrote:Sean, We didn't have enough ice in the Straits 8 years ago on 1-29 I can tell you that!! COLD!! Flew to CVX today, there was ice most of the way across but I am sure it was shell ice. Anyway, in the midst of a snow squall at my daughters house in Traverse, hope to fly home tomorrow, cheers!
I think I heard that story. Is your sled at the bottom of the lake still? Have a nice fight back. Get some aerial photo's on your way back...Have a nice flight...
Sean McDonough