??future of EMS

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

pam moxham

??future of EMS

Post by pam moxham »

Mtg of Emergency Services Authority (E.S.A) at Peaine twp hall 2pm
July 14th ...tomorrow.

To discuss future of BI EMS

Like many, I will be at one of my places of employment.

(autopsy report to follow?)

Pam Moxham RN MFR
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

No reason they can't hold the meeting at night so the public can actually attend! This is ridiculous!!!
Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole »

I'll be filming today's meeting at the request of Joe Moore.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Something to consider:
BLS, basic life support is a procedure with protocol that is applied to every EMS/ patient intercourse.

The "golden hour" applies.

EMS crews are fully trained,licensed and required to take a nationally certified examination to perform these procedures ( mostly) .

AT the yearly UPEMS educational conference in Marquette, the ALS (advanced Life Support) instructor/ participants assisting a "High performance CPR" certification class, stayed back and waited to be requested for assistance. BLS first was the explaination, and that is what is supposed to (by protocol) happen on every run.

It fully is possible for BIEMS to perform BLS ,integrated with immediate and effective communications and deliver the patient to the waiting aircraft. Upon arrival the patient could be legally transferred to the flight medic /nurse crew.

Valley Med ( who's crews assisted the HPCPR course) charge only what medicare will pay and can be at the airport in most case before the EMS crew arrives. (effective communication again) And Valley Med operates a fully equipped, well lighted,quiet,professionally staffed air ambulance.Which is far and above the equipment presently utilized by BIEMS.

Functional, professional medical service is critical in remote locations and especially critical in aged populations. BI is behind the times, in many ways positively, some ,not so.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

It fully is possible for BIEMS to perform BLS ,integrated with immediate and effective communications and deliver the patient to the waiting aircraft. Upon arrival the patient could be legally transferred to the flight medic /nurse crew.

Valley Med ( who's crews assisted the HPCPR course) charge only what medicare will pay and can be at the airport in most case before the EMS crew arrives. (effective communication again) And Valley Med operates a fully equipped, well lighted,quiet,professionally staffed air ambulance.Which is far and above the equipment presently utilized by BIEMS.

Does this need to have a disclaimer-do you work for Valley Med? I apologize if you do not have an interest in Valley Med and are interested in discussions. It just sounds like a promotional to me.

There may be an appropriate time to call in Valley Med but the response time is an issue. The island community is talking about, how to get-for example-a patient who is in cardiac arrest from the south end of the end to the north end in the best possible condition either to the BIRHC or to the airport with appropriate ALS support. Intubation, evaluation, and drugs at the scene...Island Airways is here on the ground and the wait time for evacuation is less to an appropriate facility.
McGrass
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Hi how was the meeting today?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Re. Pam Grassmick post of July 14:

Thank you Pam for illuminating by example just one of the endemic problems within BIMS and the Island as a whole.

That problem being: the speaker is usually attacked and his/her motives and interests questioned rather than sincerely addressing the issue.
I have no interest in Valley Med other than meeting crew members during Vinnie Schwartz's HPCPR class at UPEMS, where Valley Med staff assisted.
My main interest was patient care and the ability to effectively administer that care in less than optimal conditions.

If you truly would like to discuss the air ambulance issue I would be happy to offer what knowledge I have. If you want to sling mud and question motive talk with the junta, they have it all figured out.

At the time I had confirmation from Schwartz and two other instructors (hypothermia and excited delirium) that they would be happy to come to BI to teach their classes for free ( I had offered to absorb expenses) I wanted the BIEMS staff to experience truly professional and dedicated members of the EMS community who have prepared classes that are interesting,fact filled and motivational. Individuals fully dedicated to the process of EMS rather than their assumed positions.
medic5740

Thanks, Vince

Post by medic5740 »

I would like to thank you for the wonderful birthday message posted yesterday. I would also like to provide some interesting facts for you to consider.

Time is brain in any neurological emergency.
Time is muscle in most cardiovascular emergencies.
Time is tissue in any trauma.
Golden hour and Platinum Ten Minutes make a difference in patient outcomes.

If you take the American Heart Association ACLS, the University of Miami ASLS, the American Academy of Pediatrics PEPP, the NAEMT Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support, or ITLS, and I know that you have taken some of these mundane classes from this boring instructor, you will know that time is "of the essence" in all emergencies.

The order of activation of air transport has been worked out over many years of experience. The first choice should always be using the locally licensed air transport vehicle if it is available because it gets the patient to definitive care more quickly than the others. The second choice should be Northflight AeroMed helicopter if it is available also because it is quicker than the third choice. The third choice would be fixed wing aircraft from either Northflight or Valley Med. And the last, but only if all commercial options have been exhausted, is the USCG helicopter from Traverse City.

Joe Moore
EMT-Paramedic, paramedic instructor, Instructor of American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support, AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support, AHA Pediatric Advanced Life Support, University of Miami instructor of Advanced Stroke Life Support, American Academy of Pediatrics instructor of Pediatrics Emergencies for Pre-Hospital Providers, National Association of EMTs instructor, and former International Trauma Life Support instructor as well as former instructor of EMS with Kellogg Community College and North Central Michigan College.

P.S. If you don't believe me, or my sources, and you want to verify any of the above information, contact Charlevoix County Medical Control Authority or the service directors for any emergency medical service in Charlevoix or Emmett Counties.