Sarah Higdon Drew 15, RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Sarah Higdon Drew 15, RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Very sad news was just received of the passing of Dan Higdons granddaughter Sara, daughter of Debbie. She was just 15 years of age. Debbie and her husband Gary live in East Jordan, following is the report posted in the Petoskey News Review:

Car-snowmobile crash claims life of East Jordan girl

By Steve Zucker News-Review Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:00 AM EST

EAST JORDAN â?? A car-snowmobile traffic crash claimed the life of an East Jordan teenage girl Monday.

Charlevoix County Sheriff George T. Lasater identified the deceased person as Sarah Higdon Drew, 15.

Lasater said the crash happened at about 7:30 p.m. at the intersection of Ellsworth and Ranney roads in South Arm Township.

Police said Sarah was operating a snowmobile in the area and as she attempted to cross the road, she drove her snowmobile into the path of an oncoming vehicle driven by Devin Kurzhals, 18, also of East Jordan.

Sarah died at the scene from injuries she sustained in the crash. Kurzhals was not injured in the crash.

The crash remains under investigation.

Sarah was a ninth-grade student at East Jordan High School and the daughter of Debbie and Gary Drew and Robert Johnson. Kurzhals was an 2007 graduate of the school.

In a news release issued today, Tuesday, East Jordan school officials said counselors and other resources from throughout the community were brought into the school today as students and staff learned Sarahâ??s death.

In a message to students and staff, school administrators cited the need â??to be supportive of Sarahâ??s family, friends and each other.â?￾

Although school is in session today, students have access to counselors from East Jordan and Charlevoix-Emmet Intermediate School District, as well as other resource people from the community. Students who desired to do so were encouraged to write notes about Sarah to be delivered to her family at a later time.

High School teacher Kathy Stangis recalled Sarah as creative and insightful.

â??I was blessed to have Sarah not only in my ninth-grade English class but also my EDP (guidance) class,â?￾ Stangis said. â??She was a sweet student, who was kind to all. In return, she was respected by all her peers.â?￾

High school principal Tammy Jackson echoed Stangisâ?? remarks, noting that Sarah was popular and bright.

â??She was a great young lady who exemplified the characteristics that all parents desire in their child,â?￾ Jackson said. â??Sarahâ??s untimely death is truly tragic. She will be missed by all the people she touched.â?￾

Physical science teacher Rebekah Redmer called Sarah â??a student that radiated independence and confidence (and) this was acknowledged by her teachers and peers."

â??Her friendliness was contagious which made her lovable. Her actions were inspiring, making her a leader never a follower. Sarah had a brilliant mind and was patient and kind to everyone around her; always willing to lend a helping hand,â?￾ Redmer said.

At press time, service arrangements had not been finalized, school officials said.

School Superintendent Chip Hansen said the school will accommodate students and staff who may wish to attend visitations or the funeral.

â??We are very supportive of all our students and staff during this difficult time, both today and into the long term. We will also do our best to be of service to Sarahâ??s family. Our heart goes out to the family and her friends,â?￾ Hansen said.
megsing3

Sarah Higdon Drew

Post by megsing3 »

That is so sad.
I am very sorry to hear of the loss. Sarah, and all of her family and friends, will be in our prayers.
debrob2

Sarah Higdon Drew

Post by debrob2 »

Beaver Island is reeling from this tragic loss. Our hearts go out to Debbie and her family. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. If anyone out there has a current mailing address for Debbie, please post it on this forum. Many people are asking where to send cards.
IslandAirways1

Debbie Higdon's Address

Post by IslandAirways1 »

Here is Debbie's addresss.

4521 Dingman Rd.
East Jordan, MI 49727

Tara
Kevin Green

Post by Kevin Green »

What an absolute tragedy. My prayers go out to Debbie, Gary and the rest of the family. I canâ??t imagine you grief at this time.

Kevin Green
beckyg24

Post by beckyg24 »

Deb, Gary and family, I was so sorry to hear of this tragic loss. I cannot even fathom what you are all going through but know one thing we will all be here for you if there is ever anything that you may need now or in the future. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you!
Our deepest sympathy,
Becky Gerace (LaFreniere)
Phyllis Moore

Services for Sarah

Post by Phyllis Moore »

I'm still trying to get my mind around this tragedy and finding it extremely difficult. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Visitation will be at the Winchester Funeral Home in Charlevoix from 4-8 on Saturday. Funeral service will be at 2:00 at the East Jordan High School Auditorium.
Bruce Beaudoin

Dan Higdon's Address

Post by Bruce Beaudoin »

We are so sorry to hear of this terrible news. Does anyone have a current address for Dan Higdon?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Debbie, Gary and all of Sarah's family.

We can only guess at the pain you feel, but please know that our hearts are with you

Jim, Donna, and Jason Stambaugh
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Following are comments made by friends and relatives of Sarah, tells you what a fine person she was:

Muriah wrote on Jan 17, 2008 2:43 PM:
" My thoughts and prayers are with Debbie and Gary, their family, and Sarah's many friends. I had the privelage of getting to know this awesome family as their babysitter when Sarah was three or four years old. Even then it was clear that she was a very special and intelligient girl. I enjoyed watching her grow up with her siblings, and it breaks my heart to hear that she is gone. She was a gift from God to everyone she knew. "

crystal wrote on Jan 17, 2008 12:02 PM:
" I did not know sarah that well. but she was a nice girl. i am sad that is is gone. "

Traneeshia Nachazel wrote on Jan 17, 2008 11:14 AM:
" I hope the best for the family.

R.I.P Sarah

"

Nicole Gilkerson wrote on Jan 16, 2008 10:47 PM:
" I didn't know Sarah very well, but I knew her enough to know that she was a good person. I hung out with her Monday, before the accident and we were making plans to ride the bus together and stuff, I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to know her as well as I wanted to. She was so nice to me and everyone around her. I wish things could have been different for her. I was told from a friend of hers today that she was amazing in school and she could have gotten into pretty much any college she wanted and that she was just an all around amazing person. Everyone appreciates what she did for them sometime or another. I love you Sarah. "

Ashley Burt wrote on Jan 16, 2008 9:55 PM:
" I didn't know Sarah all that well, I had art with her. She seemed like such a nice girl, and was always in the happiest mood. I guess we never know when it's our time to go. She will be missed by many people, all my prayers go out to her family! "

Morgan Skop wrote on Jan 16, 2008 9:05 PM:
" Sarah was a great friend, she was so nice and it seems so different without her at school. She will be greatly missed by many people. I will always remember and love her. "

Boerger's from Ohio wrote on Jan 16, 2008 8:44 PM:
" We got to know Sarah very well over the last several years at Paradise Lake. Our families have been friends forever. We will always remember Sarah for her beautiful smile and her willingness to go on any adventure; as long as she did not have to touch the bottom of the lake or feel the lake weeds on her toes! Next summer will be hard. Rob, Samantha, and the Johnson Family, please know our hearts hurt for you. Love, Frank, Kathy, Frank, and Danielle Boerger "

Becky Gerace (LaFreniere) wrote on Jan 16, 2008 7:24 PM:
" Deb, I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot fathom what it is to be going through what you all are. If there is ever anything that I can do now or in the future please let me know. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Remember you have loving family and friends who will stand by you throughout this very horrific tragedy. Lean on them! "

Syndal Morris wrote on Jan 16, 2008 6:55 PM:
" Sarah was one of my best friends. I could never picture my life without her, until now.
All of my friends and i are having a hard time dealing with all this. but we know it will only take time. We just need to stick together and be there for eachother. Thats what Sarah would have wanted us to do. She was a great student. and a better friend. If i could trade places with her, i would in a heart beat.
I know we cant hear or see her. but she can see and hear us. I love you Sarah, with all my heart. And i always will.
See you later babe.
I cant wait. "

Ryan Schroeder wrote on Jan 16, 2008 6:36 PM:
" I am very sorry for the lost. I didn't know her that much but knew her a little bit. She was very kind and smiling all the time. All of East Jordan Michigan will miss you Sarah. I will miss having you around "

cody dean wrote on Jan 16, 2008 6:21 PM:
" It's sad to see you gone. When I heard about it i was shocked. Best wishes to the Higdon Family, It's said to know someone who you talked to just be gone in a second. She was a really nice person. "

Jacque Timsak January 16, 2008 wrote on Jan 16, 2008 4:49 PM:
" Hey my thoughts and prayers are with the family of Sara Higdon, I have been close to the family and know them pretty well. I went to school with Sheila, Debbie, and Connie Higdon. Take care, and if you need anything just call ok love ya's Jacque Timsak "

Rachel Mumich wrote on Jan 16, 2008 4:37 PM:
" I was never that close to Sarah, but my heart still goes out to her friends and family. She will be missed always. "

Jeanne Snyder and family wrote on Jan 16, 2008 4:20 PM:
" Sarah will always be remembered in our hearts and by the smiles of others. She was definitley a shinning star. "

Abbie Adams wrote on Jan 16, 2008 4:07 PM:
" I know Debbie and her family from Beaver Island. My thoughts and pray's are with you all. "

Cindy Morris/Syndal Morris wrote on Jan 16, 2008 3:42 PM:
" You will be missed Sarah both on the Ball field and on the Volleyball court. Science will be rough but I will pull thru with a A just because of you and the impact you had on my life as a great friend. As a mother also I cindy can not even imagine what her family will struggle with in the future years to come. We are a small community but we are mighty with love and support for both Sarah and Devins families. "

Tianna Pollaski wrote on Jan 16, 2008 3:20 PM:
" i knew her but its hard on every thing it feels like she is still here i thik she is still her i cry during skool i dont even care anymore i dress how i want to dress thats wut she told me to be who u are and to do wut u luve to do i luv u sarah "

Beverly Gille wrote on Jan 16, 2008 2:39 PM:
" My heart goes out to you and your family. A tragic loss. Peace be with you knowing that TODAY she walks with our Lord and Savior Jesus. "

Barbara Johnson wrote on Jan 16, 2008 1:11 PM:
" To Debbie and her husband,
This is Barb, or aunt Barb. I am a Mom and couldn't imagine losing one of my babies. They are grown but, they are still my babies. To Sam and her siblings, it's hard losing your best friend. In time the pain lessens. Remember the good times, the fun times. To Rob, our hearts ache for you. This is a tragic accident. Just remember you are in Harrys and my prayers. We will support you. We will listen. To the young man driving the car this was truly an accident. Don't blame yourself Sarah would not. We will pray for you too. Love, Barb or aunt Barb. "

Michael Corridor wrote on Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM:
" Rob,
I have been thinking about you since yesterday. I am here for you. "

Cheryl Rhoades wrote on Jan 16, 2008 12:28 PM:
" Dear Rob and Family,

Please know that you are in the thoughts of your East Detroit colleagues. "

Amy wrote on Jan 16, 2008 11:43 AM:
" This was a shock too our family. To my uncle Robert, I cannot even think of losing one of my children. My heart goes out to you. May jesus have mercy on her soul and never be forgotten. With much love, your cousin, Amy "

Samantha Burkle wrote on Jan 16, 2008 11:28 AM:
" it feels like nothing will be the same and i dont even know how to take this

- it kinda sucks not having a idol any more!!

like she said in the the middle school year book last year dont be emo!!! "

EJ Girl wrote on Jan 16, 2008 9:51 AM:
" I am so sorry to hear about this. I pray for Sarah's family and friends, and also for the young man who was involved. I hope he can get through this difficult time as well. "

Michelle Ward wrote on Jan 16, 2008 8:35 AM:
" My thought and Prayers go out to the family in this time of sorrow. May you find strength in her memory. "

Annie Russell wrote on Jan 16, 2008 7:36 AM:
" Sarah's Mother is a long-time friend of mine.. my heart goes out to everyone in the family. "

Community Member wrote on Jan 16, 2008 12:14 AM:
" My thoughts are with everyone right now. I dont know many of you but the loss of such a young girl is so sad. I cant imagine how hard this is or is going to be for everyone who loves and adores Sarah. She is a beautiful girl who gave so much to everyone it seems..RIP Sarah. "

Kayla Mousseau wrote on Jan 15, 2008 11:40 PM:
" Sarah Higdon is the sister of my best friend, and we are all utterly shocked. Sarah is so undeserving of this. We sat with her at lunch and joked with her yesterday. I didn't know her very well, but I miss seeing her and passing her in the hallway when we were both going to our classes. She was always smiling, kind, and just a really sweet girl. This seems so surreal, and the Higdon/Drew family will remain in our prayers. We love you guys so much. "

Michael Leposky wrote on Jan 15, 2008 10:11 PM:
" With her gone, it's going to be even harder for friends, family and classmates to get through next week because we won't have exams. With our regular schedules, it's not going to be easy. Hopefully her family and friends will pull together and get through this terrible time. She's going to be missed. "

Shannin Ledgett wrote on Jan 15, 2008 6:23 PM:
" I live in Ohio and i just recently got to know Sarah. Even though i did not have the privilage to meet her i was planning to this year...and im crushed that i will never get the opportunity to. In the little time that i got to talk to her i felt that she was a very caring and frienly person and i know she was loved by so many people and she is going to be very missed by all. "

Nicole Higdon wrote on Jan 15, 2008 6:09 PM:
" I'm Sarah's cousin, and was very close to her. She was an amazingly beautiful person. Our family greatly appreciates everything everybody is doing and saying. It's times like these that make you cherish every moment with the ones you love because you never know when something this untimely and tragic will hit so close to home. Remember all the good times with her because she wouldn't want us to be sad. I love her very much and will miss her forever and always. "

Sara Testa wrote on Jan 15, 2008 5:36 PM:
" I never knew Sarah, but I did know her sister. I heard of the accident today, and I am truely sorry for everyone who was close to her. I'm sure, from what I've read, she was an amazing girl. For Devin, I hope he is doing, and does okay. I know this will take a while for him to get over. "

Louise Nelle--reporter wrote on Jan 15, 2008 4:32 PM:
" I am the Petoskey News-Review reporter who will be writing a feature about Sarah, to let people know more about her (her interests, goals, personality, dreams and so on). Anyone who is willing to speak to me is free to call me at 231-439-9339 or e-mail me at lnelle@petoskeynews.com. I tend to be in and out regularly, so if you do not reach me by phone please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as possible. "

Jenny Ernst wrote on Jan 15, 2008 4:01 PM:
" It's not a hard day for just the 9th graders. The seniors (my grade) are finding it so hard to fathom since this is the 3rd death we've been through. First Chris Cain (class of 2007), then Tim France (class of 2008), now Sarah. My heart goes out to Sam (Sarah's older sister) and the rest of family. Also to Devin, he's such a nice guy and I know he's taking this really hard. These aren't just names in the news anymore, these are people I know...people I'm close to or close to their family. "

Zakk Clark wrote on Jan 15, 2008 3:45 PM:
" She was a amazing friend, she ment so much to me... she helped me so much... im going to miss her "

Daniel Behrendt wrote on Jan 15, 2008 3:37 PM:
" My best bud told me of this story Zakk Clark, tellin me why he was so bummed but i never knew sarah but i hope happiness to her families future and that we will always remember sarah "

Sarah Byce wrote on Jan 15, 2008 2:10 PM:
" She was a great person all around. She was in my ninth grade class. As Mrs. Jackson said she was very popular and smart. It will be hard to think she won't be in our grade anymore. I don't think it has actually become real to us yet. It has been a hard day for all of the ninth graders at East Jordan High School. Sarah will truly be missed by all. "

Amber Barnum wrote on Jan 15, 2008 2:09 PM:
" She was a very great person. She will be missed by all that knew her here. "

April Pattenaude wrote on Jan 15, 2008 2:07 PM:
" This was a shock to me when i heard about Sarah..She was a great friend and I hope her family is alright!!!
"

cheryl hoppe wrote on Jan 15, 2008 2:05 PM:
" that is really sad. i knew her and used to be her friend. now there is nothing.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Apparently the address for Debbie Higdon Drew that was posted is out of date, the proper address is: 4640 Waterman Rd.
East Jordan, MI 49727
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Submitted by Kellie Gillespie Knox:

The funeral was at the East Jordan High School Auditorium. Every seat in the place was filled and people were standing inthe doorways. The flowers were amazing and never ending. They set up a scholarship under Sara's name for kids at her school who could not afford to go to college. A pastor from the Mission Lighthouse Church began the funeral talking about Sara's life and how she left a positive impact on everyones life she touched. Her smile is what everyone could remember about her the most. She was a very bright girl who scored higher on her "practice" ACT's then some of the seniors in her 7th grade year!!! She was the type of student who told other students it was okay to wear whatever you wanted to wear because that's who they wanted to be. The high school choir then sang "Amazing Grace" which made those present shed a lot of tears. A slide show was put together by her many friends at school, which included many beautiful photos of Sara and her family, friends and animals. She was just like her mother trying to save and rescue any animal that crossed her path! It also included many letters to Sara about how much she will be missed but never forgotten. After the slide show two of Sara's best friends got up to share one of their favorite memories of Sara. These kids, Alex and Jessica, were very strong and brave. Alex said in his speech that he remembers how Sara always wanted to look her best and always had to put make up on, even though she didn't need any!
Sheila, Connie (Aunt's), Joyce (Grandmother) and Connie's daughter all got up to share memories about Sara and said how much they loved her and will always remember her. An art teacher, another friend, and a teacher of Austin's (brother) also got up to share a memory of Sara and give their comfort to Debbie and her family. The high school choir then sang another song " I Can Only Imagine" which again brought tears to the entire auditorium. Everyone then made a line to hug Debbie and her family and say their one last goodbye to Sara. It was a beautiful ceremony and the pastor did a wonderful job. Sara left us so young, if she only knew all the friends she had!!
Debbie Higdon Drew

My Daughter Sarah

Post by Debbie Higdon Drew »

I would just like to take a moment to thank everyone for caring. There has been so much support during this tragic time. If it wasn't for all the thoughts and prayers from friends and family, I know I would be with Sarah right now. I can't even explain the loss and pain I feel. Sarah was very close to me. I don't feel as if I can go on but each day still arrives filled with tears. I don't know why God took her before me. He must have needed someone very special.

Debbie Higdon Drew
Debbie Higdon Drew

Sarah Higdon Drew

Post by Debbie Higdon Drew »

Yesterday I went to the funeral of one of Sarah's best Friends. Brandon Patton, also 15. They rode the same bus and hung out after school together. Brandon took his own life and left no answers for his parents. My heart goes out to the Pattons. I can feel their pain. Each day doesn't seem to get any better.
Please say a prayer for the Pattons.
Debbie Higdon Drew