boat loads of know it alls

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

timmer

boat loads of know it alls

Post by timmer »

Speaking of boat loads of know it all's, I was sitting in one of my classes today, and I noticed that the woman sitting next to me had on a Beaver Island sweatshirt. I was curious because a lot of BI clothing is not seen in my classes. She started out by saying WE OWN 40 ACRES OF COURSE I BEEN THERE. I asked where it was located and she responded well you go past " pad een og" I politely corrected her and told her the Gaelic and traditional way to say it (afterall he is one of my ancestors) she in an almost violent outburst said "NO its PAD EEN OG, We have been going there for years. " So thats brings me to a question. Does buying large tracts of land, putting a fence around it (which she said was the first thing they did) and going up there once a year really benefit anyone, does your 12 weeks of combined time on the island supercede people who have a realtion to nearly everyone in the cemetary. The very same people who came from Arranmore. I think that the historical ties that we have worked to preserve are the reason that the boat loads of know it alls came here to begin with. Then they buy the land and fence it up, number one creating an eyesore, number two completely ruining the spirit of fellowship and pleasantness.
I had a similar story from a few summers ago swimming down at one of the public beaches (anyone who wants to know which one can ask me this weekend) with several other Islanders. We set our towels and belongings on the beach and went swimming, after 15 minutes or so this gentleman came out and in a most uncivil manner expressed his desire to have us move our towels off of his property, he than showed me the 4 feet I was away from the boundry of the public beach and his house. Was anything really accomplished by his actions? Was his property value declining because several beach towels and a tube of spf 30 (for that irish skin) were on his property?
Let me know what you guys think.
Timmer
PS See you all this weekend!
"Is deacair amhra`na ra`dh gan gloine! " :D
Kris S.

Post by Kris S. »

Ummm...I'm noticing a trend toward being a little hard on summer visitors. We're not all Ugly Mainlanders. Lighten up, eh? :?
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Kris, I referred to this in the Egg Lake post. In no way does my or should Timmers post, or for that matter any post reflect hostility toward our visitors or summer residents. My feelings are directed at anyone who would empower themselves to take other peoples constitutional rights away. You are so right, there are many visitors who come and enjoy the island but for some reason there are a few who think they know more than you or I and seem to want to prove it!! What bothers me most is they throw the snowballs and we are left to deal with it!
timmer

Post by timmer »

Thanks Richie,
That's what I was getting at, I have "boat loads" of fun with lots of people in the summer, but a few people are just a little cranky.
Timmer
Is deacair amhra`na ra`dh gan gloine!
timmer

PS

Post by timmer »

I should point out about the public beach that I am not referring to the Left's :)
Timmer
Is deacair amhra`na ra`dh gan gloine!