Help plan the future of our natural resources

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Sandra Birdsall

Help plan the future of our natural resources

Post by Sandra Birdsall »

What do you value? What is your vision for the Island's future?
Public is invited to be part of the 1st Natural Resources/Eco-Tourism Commission's Symposium on Forest and Wildlife management. Participation is FREE--Bring your ideas.
June 28. BI Community Center
Morning Sessions: Hear from the experts 8:30 to 12:30
Lunch: Available for Purchase at Community Center
Afternoon: Questions for Speakers, Dialogue between attendees at roundtable discussions.
Can't spend the whole day--Drop in any time you can :D
medic5740

Agenda

Post by medic5740 »

Ken--

The agenda is on my website....

Joe
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

I would like to thank the sponsors of the recent outstanding symposium on Forest and Wildlife management symposium presented June 28 at the Community Center.

All the speakers told us that was that this is our island and our land and that they were not here to tell us what to do with it, rather they can provide us with ideas and management programs for our use. Do se want song bird habitat? We can do that. Do we want woodcock hunts? We can do that. And so on with other wildlife and forestry management issues. Or we can just do nothing.

I did hear that for the most part our forests are old and need some care to improve their future impact on our island.

We were brought up to date on the invasive species issue and one speaker passed around a sample of one that she had found on the East Side drive. She stated that most likely it was from a resident who had planted it as a decorative plant. One disturbing subject was the issue of the beech bark scale that will decimate the beech tree population on the island. Since this trees provides food for many of our island critters any planning for wildlife should address this problem.

Great series of talks and thanks to the Beaver Island Eco-tourist Commission for organizing it.

Bob Tidmore