Broadband request

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

ertimm

Post by ertimm »

The application has included dollars for helping the client side (CPE) of the installation. The final CPE installation offering has not been determined. Under CCC current customer base the installation has two components labor $99 and hardware ($375). Under the BI project we anticipate buying in higher volumes therefore bring down this price. The program is to generate jobs so the $99 labor will help fund the labor so it should stay in place. The hardware will be the lowest we can make it to meet sustainability. It includes a high end router to support quality of service. The anticipated subsidy discussed has been $185 for the hardware (this is in the grant application). For residential we will have a basic and a premium installation. We will also offer a private hotspot installation. I hope this helps and as we get closer to launch we will re-evaluate costs of CPE and adjust. Generally cost for CPE goes down while capabilities goes up. The application sets limits but we have the ability to do better then promised in the application and that is our goal.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

ertimm wrote:Beaver Island Broadband Project made the Governors list of recommended applications. Just another step in the evaluation process. The governor had the opportunity to weigh in on BTOP applications. Beaver island was a BIP/BTOP application.
Excellent news - thanks Jack and Tim. I know you all put a lot of hours into it, so I'm happy to hear that things are moving forward. It would definitely make a difference to the Island long-term.
ertimm

Post by ertimm »

There are still challenges by incumbents to address and an ARRA BIP/BTOP due diligence process that needs to occur so the process is not yet done but it moves at the pace set by government. Your Island Leadership team is a great reflection of the Island and yes you should be proud of the work they have done and the volunteer hours they have allocated for the benefit of all.
ertimm

Post by ertimm »

correct letter wrong governor mentioned as your headline. I believe it is Granholm or is this an inside joke
medic5740

A mistake is a mistake

Post by medic5740 »

A mistake is a mistake. I apologize to anyone who noticed that I incorrectly identified the current governor of Michigan in a headline on the homepage of Beaver Island News on the 'Net. My brain must have gone on vacation when I typed that. Governor Granholm, I apologize for calling you Governor Blanchard.

It took only two emails and the previous post on this forum to get my brain working again.
ertimm

Post by ertimm »

There is a delay in ARRA funding decisions until Dec 2009