Beaver Island Electric Car Show 6/26-27

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dan Wardlow

Beaver Island Electric Car Show 6/26-27

Post by Dan Wardlow »

The electric car show is coming back to Beaver Island on Friday June 26 and Saturday June 27. Two dealers will be showing a dozen new and used cars from GEM, ZENN, and Miles. Jeff Connor will be showing his Dodge Dakota all-electric truck, built right here on Beaver Island. All will be available for test drives.

Both dealers will be bringing low-mileage used cars with sharp pricing. ZENN has released some factory demo cars for the show which will sell for around $6,000. New cars qualify for a federal tax credit this year. Bank and dealer financing will be available.

This year's electric car show will feature a free showing of the entertaining and popular documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" The movie will be shown at the Community Center at 1:30 on Saturday afternoon, sponsored by the electric car show.

Many of the cars will arrive on the ferry on Friday morning at 10:45. The car show will be held in front of The Shamrock and Harbour Market, co-sponsors of the event. Fox Motors of Charlevoix, North Central Zenn (New London, OH), and Inland Auto EV are also co-sponsors of the electric car show.

Last year's car show attracted over 400 visitors, and over 200 test drives were given. Six electric cars were sold on the island last summer. The island now has a fleet of 13 electric vehicles.
Last edited by Dan Wardlow on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Wardlow

FREE MOVIE ON SATURDAY AT THE COMMUNITY CENTER

Post by Dan Wardlow »

A reminder that the Beaver Island Electric Car Show is sponsoring a free showing of the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car?" on Saturday afternoon at 1:30 at the Community Center.

The movie was an official selection at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival.

From the movie's website:

"Running solely on electricity, General Motors' fleet of EV-1 electric vehicles were so efficient, they were on the brink of altering the future of driving in America -- perhaps even the world. Those lucky enough to drive one gave it glowing reviews. So why were they all destroyed? This is a murder mystery like no other, as it unravels the puzzling demise of a vehicle that could have saved the environment and America's dangerous addiction to foreign oil."

Personal aside: I leased a Honda EV+ from 1998-2003 as part of Honda's similar product test. My car was recalled and shredded in 2003. If you watch the movie carefully, you'll see a dark green Honda EV+ (maybe mine?) as it heads to the shredder. That's a picture of my car above.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I've seen the movie, raises interesting questions!! Did GM do it or big oil??
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

... or was it big government? Or did consumers really just reject the technology as unworkable.

See the movie and decide for yourself! :D
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Cars will be arriving starting today (Thursday), and we'll be parking them out front of the Shamrock and Harbour Market as they arrive. The last cars arrive tomorrow (Friday) morning along with the dealer reps. Officiaal show hours are Friday 10:45am - 6:00 pm, and Saturday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm for test drives and dealer talk. But feel free to check out the cars anytime!
caram

Post by caram »

Well I will tell you one thing, once you see the movie you will be really angry at all the forces that were involved!! I recommend seeing it!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The crowd walking on the street seems a bit thinner this year than last year, but good for those who want to talk shop... and I saw a good number of test drives coming and going while stopping by today.

Cars look a bit slicker this year than last even, from the tiny two seater to this one:

I might be wrong, but I think Ken said the black one did 50 on his test drive.

Ask Levi about his 6-battery electric trike

And get Jeff to show you under the hood of his 120 volt Dodge Dakota electric converted here on the Island at Inland Auto.

Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Thanks to all who came out for the EV show and took test drives. The crowds were thinner than last year, but Jeff's right: this year there was more serious "shop talk" about EV technology by the attendees. One car was sold, and the dealers were pleased with several good sales leads.

And yep, that black Miles car (not the black GEM pictured above) did 50 plus with a range of 60 miles. I won't say how much "plus," but I saw a lot of grinning by the test drivers down on Kings Hwy!