Don’t be fooled this April Fools Day….

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

D-Family

Don’t be fooled this April Fools Day….

Post by D-Family »

Hey, did you all know that a Nigerian Prince lives here on the island? At least one used to, but he has his inheritance tied up in a bank. If you send him $5k, he will use that to get his money back and pay you $1 million for your efforts!

Sounds good? Well, it’s April 01. It’s not true, and this is an old email scam.

Scams have gotten ever more elaborate, even mimicking your own bank (such as one I just stopped for a fellow Island neighbor that pretended to be Charlevoix state bank). I just fixed a computer where this scam was happening…

There are a lot of them out there, and with Artificial Intelligence becoming more widely used scams will continue to become more elaborate and harder to spot.

Senior citizens are the most vulnerable,
Don’t be Fooled (today is, after all, April 01).

In the past month, I have stopped 8 of these scammers from wiping people’s savings and retirement away. However, I cannot stop or recover all of them…and the best tool I can give y’all is information: where to spot the red flags.

That is why I am teaming up with the Beaver Island Library to put on a FREE seminar for Islanders later this month (April).

I will set up an “event page” with the date and time later this week. If anyone wants to donate, donations to the Library for putting on this event is welcome, but this seminar will be free to everyone on the Island regardless.

I don’t want anyone to lose another penny to these rotten people, and we will go over what to be aware of, and things you can do to protect yourself and your assets.

Again, date and time will be posted later today, but I wanted to get a jump on letting everyone know it’s coming.

Nicholas De Laat - Kings Hwy
-The De Laat Family
D-Family

Re: Don’t be fooled this April Fools Day….

Post by D-Family »

See you this morning at 11am at the library!
-The De Laat Family