Donna Hardenberg RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Donna Hardenberg RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

From Pam Grassmick earlier today...

It is with a heavy heart that I have been asked to notify the island community of the sudden passing of Donna Hardenberg. She truly loved the island community. She was inspirational in so many ways and her physical presence will be missed.
Marie LaFreniere

Re: Donna Hardenberg RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

A life well lived.
A soul well loved.

Donna Hardenberg

February 27, 1936 - May 12, 2023

Donna was born and raised in Zeeland, Michigan. After graduation from high school, she attended Hope College in Holland, Michigan where she graduated with an Education Degree. She devoted her career to educating and friending students and retired from Byron, Michigan School District as school librarian. Students, teachers and staff remained in contact with her as an educator but also as a dear friend to this day. She and Candy Whitmore purchased lots in 1973 in Port of St. James on Lake Michigan and completed their cottage on Beaver Island, Michigan in 1975. It became Donna's summer residence while spending winters in Gulfport, Florida where she suffered a massive heart attack on May 12th. There wasn't anything Donna couldn't do or fix for herself but often for others in need of assistance. Donna loved life, nature and creatures in all forms and an avid birding expert. She also loved poker, high stakes cribbage at a penny a peg. Her "spirit animal" was the buffalo. Able to withstand hardships and adversity while remaining noble and strong. This too was Donna the past few years while dealing with a variety of health issues. Like the buffalo, she maintained a positive spirit, ever charging forward to overcome adversity. Donna is survived by her only brother, Bruce Hardenberg in Florida and her niece, Suzanne Malindzak in South Carolina and nephew, David Hardenberg in Palos Heights, IL. In lieu of a service for herself, it was Donna's wish to, as always, serve others. Her body has been donated to Anatomical Board of Florida in order to train new doctors. Her loving partner, JoAnn Westrick also gifted her body to MSU in 2010. Donna's final resting place will be near JoAnn's for eternity. It is with deep sadness for our loss but also with great joy for having known her that we say "goodbye and rest in peace" to Donna.

12183013_10150640220594980_2414304431652705977_o.jpg
12183013_10150640220594980_2414304431652705977_o.jpg (178.5 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Sailorman Larry

Post by Sailorman Larry »

What a fun character. She will be missed by many.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I was honored to call Donna my friend going back to the 70's, tops on my list for favorite people. Many a fond time with her, no, always a fond time with her. She could be the life of the party whether it was two or a room full. When we got together for a libation or two, we would usually called a truce when our BS was up to our knees. I know everyone who knew her has their own cherished memories and stories. Keep those near and dear during this time.
Donna, May the winds be fair and seas calm wherever you sail to as you leave us now. I hope you will think back with a smile on your face as I will in time. Until our ships cross again.
:cry: :( :-)
Skull&CrossBones
ahmeek

Post by ahmeek »

Hello Beaver Island Community: I've been gone from the Island for several years now, living in Arizona and commuting to BI proved to be both difficult and very expensive, so I sold my lovely little cottage on Garden Island View Road, across the street from Donna and Candy Whittemore.

When I first came to BI because my wife of that time was a Petosky native, and I couldn't afford a place there, we came to BI and because I so enjoyed sailing. Donna was just about the first person I met and she was so friendly and helpful. (at the time something of a rarity on the Island. We spent many enjoyable hours conversing and she and some of her friends sailed with me many times.

Donna and Candice were so special as neighbors and friends, and I especially enjoyed seeing them when we came up for the summer. I'm a retired professor from Arizona State University, and so the cool, moist air of the Island and the proximity to so many wonderful sailing sites, particularly Garden Island and the Straits, and North Channel.

Donna once even came and spend a few days with us in Arizona on one of her birding adventures. She had such a great sense of humor and knowledge of literature and the arts, it was always a wonderful to see her again, and our times were very warm and happy. She was a genuine and caring person and I'll miss her so greatly, just as I miss many of the wonderful people and place of the Island.

God speed to her and I hope a proper memorial service will occur, and I hope to learn about it, although sadly I an going to be unable to attend.

The Island has lost of one its great treasures, and I have lost a wonderful friend and neighbor. God bless her and all who knew her, as well.

Kind regards,

Prof. Gray Sweeney
Didimus