T-mobile coverage in Port St. James neighborhood

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

LindaJane

T-mobile coverage in Port St. James neighborhood

Post by LindaJane »

Hello, island friends.

I have to switch cell service from AT&T to T-mobile and I’m hoping T-mobile will work on the island (Island Woods Rd on the west end.)

Anyone have luck with T-mobile?

Thanks for any tips.
Best wishes,
Linda
jflanagan

Re: T-mobile coverage in Port St. James neighborhood

Post by jflanagan »

Coverage was not great but my big reason for switching to Verizon, with not much better coverage was that T-mobile really limited your data when you were roaming and everything on BI for T-Mobile is roaming on the AT&T towers. if you exceeded to 20 or 50 mg of date per month the charges for extra data were ridiculous.

Also, after the T-mobile phones my wife and I had used returned to the mainland they were very hard to get back on the T-Mobile network. You either had to do it manually or wait a long time for it to happen automatically.

Jiom
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
LindaJane

Post by LindaJane »

Jim, so Verizon is not much better but no roaming fee issue?
BeaverIslandPete

Post by BeaverIslandPete »

Hi Linda, I don't have T-Mobile so cannot speak to them or any other carrier. But I have had okay enough coverage with Verizon. Guests with other providers seem to struggle more with data and phone connections.

My wife and I live right in the spot you're asking about. I just ran a speed test and got 30mb download speed (not bad at all) and a very weak 0.7mb upload. Even with a decent enough download speed at times and good enough phone coverage, we would really struggle without being able to use home wifi whenever possible. For streaming as well as work and placing wifi-enabled cell phone calls. So we really rely on the DSL but have been able to fill in some data needs with Verizon.
Attachments
February 21 Verizon speed test, LTE
February 21 Verizon speed test, LTE
Screenshot_20230221-012605.png (439.03 KiB) Viewed 715 times