Kevin Stipp is on the Nov ballot for the BI school board

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Lois Sowa Stipp

Kevin Stipp is on the Nov ballot for the BI school board

Post by Lois Sowa Stipp »

I thought you might like to hear Kevin's response to these questions from the League of Women Voters:

What particular experiences or skills have prepared you to serve as a member of the Board of Education?
I have 32 years of service in public education as a Teacher, Athletic Director, and High School site Administrator. This gives me a vast amount of knowledge about how schools work, the role of all stake holders in the school, curriculum development and implementation, school budgets and funding, and how to develop great learning environments. In my various roles in education I have worked closely with teachers, classified staff, parents, students, site administrators, district office personnel, superintendents, and school boards. These experiences give me a unique knowledge of of how schools work and the role school boards play in our education system.

What motivates you to run for the School Board?
I believe that school boards have an important role to play in the communities they serve. We have a wonderful community and a great school on Beaver Island, I would like to give something back to the community. Because of my career in public education and the knowledge I have regarding school operations, I believe I can best do so by representing our community on the school board.

What is your vision for education in your district?
The goal of any school should be to provide the best possible educational experience for its students. It has been my experience and belief that the school exists to simply do what is best for its students. To do so requires quality teachers who are given the tools they need to help the students succeed. It requires a forward thinking school administration who keeps current on learning trends and implements best practices for the teachers and students. It requires a safe and vibrant learning environment for all students. Upon graduation, students should be college and/or career ready, both academically and socially. They should be equipped with the skills necessary to become successful members of their communities.

What do you see as your role and responsibility as a school board member?
1. Goal setting - establish a structure to implement the schools vision and periodically evaluate the results of the plan. 2. Hire and evaluate the superintendent 3. Establish school policy and share in that policy development 4. Review the submitted budget and align that budget with the school goals 5. Review and implement curriculum based on standards, goals, and policies established by the board. 6. Staffing and evaluation - adopt policies to govern salary schedules, conditions of employment, benefits, professional development, leave and absences, and employee evaluation. 7. Determine facility needs and communicate proposed construction needs to the community.

What is your experience with budget processes and funding, especially as it pertains to running a school system?
I have both help develop and implement school site budgets. In doing so I worked closely with district office personnel to understand budgetary needs and funding. This includes (but not limited to) equipment and supplies, salaries, union negotiations, facility retrofits and construction, athletics, special education, text books, and food services.

What strategies would you use to address differences of opinion on the board, or between the board and the administration, or between the board and members of the community?
In all of these cases, open and transparent communication is key to a good working relationship. By keeping the overall goals and vision of the school in mind, methods of implementation can be boiled down to best practices, experiences, and evaluation of results. Through evidence based discussed, keeping the school goals and vision at the forefront of the discussion, and respecting all ideas as possibilities we can have a vibrant board that works for the community and the students it serves.
Lois Sowa Stipp
bob smith

Re: Kevin Stipp is on the Nov ballot for the BI school board

Post by bob smith »

where is mr stipp's teaching experience
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

In the first paragraph, listing 32 years in public education stating "Teaching" as the first experience building to positions of greater responsibility. An excellent experienced candidate from teaching to administration.
Kirk D. McBride
Lois Sowa Stipp

Post by Lois Sowa Stipp »

Bob Smith - His teaching/administration experience was in Southern California. Although, he has a long history on Beaver Island as a homeowner and business owner.
Lois Sowa Stipp
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Kevin and the other BI School Board candidates, thank you for your interest in supporting the school through your service to give the island students the best possible education possible! =D>

Mr. Smith, most school board candidates tend to be interested community members. None of the other candidates are teachers.
McGrass