Jerry LaFreniere-Surgery

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

debrob2

We're Home!

Post by debrob2 »

In case you haven't all heard, we are home!
:D
Just a little on what to expect when you see him... He still has a large tumor on the side of his face. He had four "massive" (the doctor's words) doses of radiation to shrink and "hopefully stunt" the growth of the tumor. It will not get rid of it. It will come back, but they are hoping the radiation slowed it down. Because of the large doses of radiation (and the tumor itself) he has some skin on his face that looks a lot like burnt skin. His face is still greatly swollen and he has lost a fair amount of weight.

The good news is this: Now that he has his medication more regulated, he is aware and alert in his surroundings. He sleeps probably 20 hours/day...but is awake and aware the rest of the time.

Thanks for making us feel like we haven't been alone. Believe me...we checked this forum often and loved hearing from everyone.

God Bless You All...
Debbie
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jerry, I just want to pass you at 7am and be able to dial you on your "celery" phone as Johnny Jewell would say just to hear you say, "What the hell do you want"? That would make my day, any day, so I will be waiting!! More than anything, glad you are home in the land of the "PaudEenOg's" and all good thoughts and hopes go your way!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

I want to thank everyone for all the get well and birthday (for me) cards we received while we were gone. And for all of the well wishes on this forum. It means a lot to us to know that so many people care.

Last night when I was opening all of the cards Jerry said he wished that I could have had a better birthday. My birthday was the day we left here and Debbie's was the following day he was admitted to the hospital. I fessed up last night and told him that Debbie, myself, Michelle, Gerald and Rory snuck out to Red Lobster one night when we left the hospital!

Jerry is doing a little better each day and we'll let you know when he is ready for company.

Marie
megsing3

--

Post by megsing3 »

:-)
donkeylady

The Boss is barking orders!

Post by donkeylady »

Hey everyone!

I just got back from a Labor Day "Safety-Meeting/ Barn Dance" planning session at Jerry and Marie's. I had strict orders the meeting had to be held with Jerry requesting to be present.......he is barking out orders, so he must be feeling better!!! He let us know his wishes to make sure the kids get to dance and enjoy the music too........he is such an awesome Grandpa! He also seems to be very motivated to get stronger for attending the party.......Everyone's energy and prayers are helping!! God Luv Ya! as Jerry Says!!
Thank you to all who are with him in heart, spirit, and friendship. :lol:
Beth or John McCafferty
27890 Barneys Lake Rd.
Unfinished Farms
Beaver Island, MI.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Hi All,

I know a lot of you have been asking about Jerry.

We've been home from Ann Arbor for a week now but not a lot has changed. His face is beginning to look better, the tumors are shrinking and some of the burnt skin is gone.

He did attempt to go to Mass last Saturday evening but didn't make it through the whole Mass. Mary Palmer took him for a little cruise yesterday but he tires very easily.

He is still in quite a bit of pain but will be seeing his Oncologist in Petoskey on Monday and hopefully the doctor can adjust the medications.

We'll give an update after we see the Oncologist.

We're receiving cards and well wishes daily and I want to again thank everyone.

Marie