DSL is now Available

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

medic5740

TDS and DSL

Post by medic5740 »

Jeff,

What are your upload speeds with TDS? I am running both of them side by side with CSYIP winning every time with upload speed. 768 down does not seem equal to CSYIP from TDS either, so far.

Joe Moore
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm seeing upload speeds right around 400 on TDS.
ImageImageImage
It's really fast compared to anything I've had before here (my satellite was only 250 up), but spending ~8 hours a day online, I'm definitely biased to "faster is better" so I ultimately hope to signup for a CSI 1.0 /1.0 mbps wireless plan as soon as they can provide it here for the upload speed and enjoy the best of both. I figure it's the one thing other than camera lenses that I indulge in, so as long as I can bring more in over the connections than I spend on them, hey! Most of my downloading is via http and most of my uploading is via ftp, so I can simply set my browser to proxy over dsl and ftp to proxy over the wireless and I should have better than great... a 3.0 / 1.0 mbps connection that with the DSL is 3x faster than the wireless-only download speed and with the wireless, 2.5x faster than the dsl-only upload speed. (or I might get fancy with a multi-wan router which I had originally planned to do for redundancy, but having 0 downtime so far with dsl, I don't think I even really need to do that for any practical purpose)
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

"....or I might get fancy with a multi-wan router which...."

Is that kind of like 3-2bl carbs, a hot cam and exhaust headers?
:?: :D
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Alas multi WAN router has no chrome, is hard to show off in the harbor or down main street, but if you get one with lights, it can be a nice Christmas decoration.

When Central Solutions first got setup in the harbor I heard a few people (who were overall pleased) note that they had some drops in connectivity for whatever reason, so my first thought was that I'd use a cheap fail-over solution with my existing satellite for backup to deliver 100% reliability. Then when DSL was announced I figured I'd do the same with Central Solutions as a backup because when doing analog dialup over the same phone lines we were never sure if the drops and stalls we encountered then were due to line conditions, analog modem equipment, or some other ISP factor with GLE/Transworld.

Now that DSL has been 100% reliable for me over the last month and a half, I don't feel I have any major need for the CSI wireless as a backup for redundancy, so I might just use the two "old school" side by side to take advantage of the DSL's faster speed from the Internet to me and wireless' faster speed from me to the Internet. The inexpensive multi-wan routers that I know of provide fail-over if one connection drops (not really necessary as the DSL has been 100% up so far) or simple round-robin load balancing (download two things at once, and one goes over one Internet connection and one over the other and so on) which with one having the faster up and one the faster down speed I don't think would be advantageous (because a single transaction wouldn't bridge connections so I would fear for example a single download would end up going over the slower wireless some of the time or vice versa which would be a drawback.) And I think the more sophisticated off-the-shelf multi-WAN solutions probably aren't called for for my own use due to $ (though some work with a BSD box, or quick help from smarter people than I, might achieve only using the faster first and only the slower to augment the primary when x% active without any expense via software-only.)

--maybe not as exciting as an old car show, air show, or boat race, but the geek in me should have fun this year!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Woke up this morning to find no dsl connectivity despite all lights green as always -- this is the first glitch I've encountered since install on March 15, so the uptime is still better than anything else I've had here (but 100% perfection up to this point was pretty sweet too, so hopefully we'll return to our regularly scheduled program soon!) I thought I'd post in case anyone else is on a fallback connection wondering if it's just them too. Tech support said it was a system-level issue that they were working on.

Speaking about the "state of the net" I don't yet see any Central Solutions equipment on the cell/Internet towers that were erected at the end of April, so despite it raining cats and dogs, I'm posting this on the old satellite connection. It seemed a lot faster before I got spoiled to dsl speeds! With the Central Solutions backhaul down last week while dsl was up and now dsl down while central solutions is up this morning, we've had a bit of imperfection coming into the season, but still can't complain compared to any time in the past here. How come internet glitches never happen on nice sunny days when it would be nice to be out taking photos?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Back up and running now. Good news for a rainy day.

TjD

When will we get wireless on the East Side.

Post by TjD »

So what is going on with the wireless internet? While DSL is a better value for the money for home users I'm interested in wireless so that I can connect anywhere around the island. I've put off signing up for DSL but CS's time line keeps getting pushed back. If we have to wait till mid summer before they start there will be a back log of users to hook-up and then they will still have to work the bugs out which could take months & months. I would also like to see a privacy policy out of them before I sign on.

It's a shame CS doesn't respond to this board and keep the public up on whats going on as well as TDS does. I know that CS has a couple of accounts on this board but they just seem ignore it.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:The speed for a single very large single file download the speed seems to settle right around 1.0 Mbps (need to do more testing as I didn't have too much time today; maybe QOS related, maybe line related, not sure yet); while downloading a large file at 1 Mbps though other things are still blazingly fast with little or no slowdown, so I'm pretty darn happy with this. The numbers look fairly good, and the experience is stunning.
Just a note that this appears to be even better now --

Response: 150 9914.6 kbytes to download
Response: 226-File successfully transferred
Response: 226 28.575 seconds (measured here), 346.97 Kbytes per second (= 2768 kbps)

Before it was like having three 1 Mbps connections (which of course I would take in a flash!) Now though it's a bit better real-world as I get the full 3 Mbps without having to do concurrent transfers or having to use flashget or getright to get the full speed out of the connection. It was great before, but now it's even better. Nicely done TDS!