Studio Time at the Community Center

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cindyr

Studio Time at the Community Center

Post by cindyr »

We've had some good feedback regarding Art Classes and Open Studio time at the Community Center, and we're all excited to get started. SO, with one eye on the wintry conditions and another on the Covid numbers, we are preparing to get started.
Unless otherwise noted, all sessions will be Wednesday, evenings, from 5 to 7 PM. Soft drinks and snacks are available for purchase, or you are welcome to bring a beverage of your choice.
January 26:[b] Open Studio[/b]. Bring your needlework project, art project, or a good book for the warmth and camaraderie of other like-minded individuals. Free.
February 2: [b]Card-Making[/b]. With Valentine's Day just around the corner, we'll explore methods for designing your own greeting cards. You'll have plenty of opportunity to try out various techniques; you'll leave with several finished pieces and the knowledge to expand on these ideas on your own. All materials provided. Cost: $5.00.
February 9: [b]Open Studio[/b]. Free.
February 16: [b]Vision Boards[/b]. Now, at the beginning of a new year, it is the perfect time to consider what we want this year, and the future, to bring. Karen Whitecraft has generously offered to share her knowledge regarding why and how to create a vision board, along with examples of her own work. All materials provided though if you have photos or mementos that you might like to incorporate in your own project, bring them along, too. Cost: $5.00
February 23: [b]Open Studio[/b]. Free.
We have many good ideas in the works, as well as other artists volunteering their time and talents to get our creative juices flowing this winter. I'll take the opportunity during open studio sessions to discuss other class options and get feedback. Watch for updates here, and on the Facebook page for the Beaver Island Community Center.
Several people have expressed concerns regarding masking. While we hate to impose restrictions, we want every participant to feel safe and comfortable. Our lobby is separated into two distinct sections separated by the entry doors. My suggestion would be that those people who choose not to mask could occupy one side, and those who are more comfortable masked could work on the other side. This arrangement would maintain the distance recommended by the CDC for optimum safety.
Cindy
cindyr

Re: Studio Time at the Community Center

Post by cindyr »

We had three people plus me come for the Open Studio session last Wednesday. It was fun to see what others were doing, and to hear about the creativity that abounds on this island. We consider this a good start, considering all of the other factors that come into play on any winter evening. I finished four pair of slippers that have been waiting far too long for me to get to them. Encouraged by that, I'm considering all of the other partially finished project I have, that might benefit from two hours of concentrated effort!
This Wednesday, February 2nd, from 5 to 7 PM, we'll have the card-making workshop. I'll have samples, and all materials needed for making simple relief prints, collage, and woven paper cards, as well as the blank cards to mount your designs on, and envelopes to send them. Bring your own ideas, too, and we'll all learn something new!
Cindy