Port St James

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

hermit

Port St James

Post by hermit »

I wonder how many people know that The beach at Donegal Bay is actually private? I wonder if they know the pavilion is private where they watch the sunset or that the lake access to Font Lake is also private?

Clean up after yourselves. We pay the association dues. And I guarantee the garbage on the beach today you don’t.

And the boat at the Font Lake launch. Get it the heck out of the way.
I'm Just The Messenger

Re: Port St James

Post by I'm Just The Messenger »

There is a lively discussion going on about this on Facebook. And by the way, the Font Lake access is public and owned by St. James Township.
D-Family

Post by D-Family »

One thing, Font lake access is not private, it is St James Township according to the resource below.

If people have questions, here is a great resource.
https://www.charlevoixcounty.org/online ... /index.php

They (PSJ) have always let people enjoy that beach. My family used the pavilion for our sons graduation party (call for permission), it was great! Maybe some trash cans out and around the beach?

Otherwise, knowing about the huge influx of tourists and new property owners, I hope PSJ continues to let people use their beach as they always have.

For those of us year rounders public access to our own island is becoming less and less…hell, we can barely use our own harbor anymore. Too many people buying it all up and shutting it down all over. Very sad, and it’s a problem that will drive away the good folks who have lived here, as what always happens when city/suburb folks flood into a quaint area and start developing. Hopefully we can stay away from more associations, ordinances, waterfront development, etc…though I must admit, what is happening on the island now is what we were trying to live away from, escape from. Hopefully things settle back down, or this great place won’t be worth living on anymore.

Regardless, PSJ has always been good about their public land. Don’t ruin it forcing them to shut it down for the rest of us.

Sincerely: someone who picks up trash daily in the summer.

PS: to the guy who I pick up your bud light cans more often than I’d like to admit. I’m on to you, know you live somewhere on hideaway, and now know what your vehicle looks like. Very close to figuring out who you are. Better knock it off.

-Nick
Last edited by D-Family on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The De Laat Family
BradG

Post by BradG »

Nick, I’ve seen you numerous times up and down King’s hwy picking up trash. Thank you! You obviously love our island. You’ve got me doing it a little now on the east side. I agree about Donnegal Bay, a treasure we need to not abuse. PSJ are being generous. Let’s not make them reconsider.

Brad
Richards

Post by Richards »

There is a public beach access owned by St. James Township for public use at Sunset Corner on Donegal Bay. There is also a public access to Font Lake that is owned by St. James Township. In fact the township is in the midst of making plans to install a parking lot across from the boat launch across from the access point. Thank you to all the board members who are making this improvement! =D> =D> =D>

Many thanks to the Port of St. James Association for sharing the PSJ access with the general public. I do hope that this allowance continues. Thank you to all the PSJ board members for overseeing the maintenance of this property. What a wonderful gift to the island! =D> =D> =D>
shinrinyoku

Post by shinrinyoku »

Just to clear things up a bit: The access to Font Lake at the intersection of Font Lake Rd and Donegal Bay Rd is not Township property, but is owned by Port St James Association. The Township does own property to the east of the site, but the area used by folks to launch canoes, etc., is PSJA property. We have no plans to limit its use by others. The location is on our list of places to develop further.

Stan Jensen - Treasurer

Port St James Association
Box 298