Thank you for your support through the years.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Andy's Grooming Barn

Thank you for your support through the years.

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn will no longer be in operation as of Aug. 1, 2021. We truly appreciate all of the support from some very great customers and their pets for the last 19 years. Until Aug 1st, business will run as usual, please call the house line and talk to Bill if you need to set up reservations/appointments, 2150, if you get the answering machine please leave a message and he will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Andy
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
tkludt

The island is losing a tresure!

Post by tkludt »

Andy, your care and services for our dog has been incredible and will be missed. We wouldn't have had Corky had I not met you at the boat dock in Charlevoix and discovered you were opening a kennel 10 years ago. Thanks for doing what you did and having Kim be part of it as well. Never a worry! The best to you ladies and thank you. I'm sure a lot of " mutts" will miss your services. Tom
JFPowers

Re: Thank you for your support through the years.

Post by JFPowers »

Bill & Andy,

Thanks for all the years of outstanding services to the Beaver Island Pet community! You have done such a wonderful job by providing this service to the island. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Jeff Powers DVM
tkludt

Post by tkludt »

What at shame the hundreds of dogs and cats you cared for can't post a thank you for your care which was always over and above any kennel I've experienced. They are probably embarrased by their sorry ass owners not taking a moment to thank you for your contribution to their welfare and the Island infrastructure. Wow, I'm embarassed by the Island response. I guess it's a good indication of our real community. What a shame. Tom
Dan Wardlow

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Just saw this! Thanks Andy, for introducing Arlo to a happy grooming experience as a puppy when we lived on the island. To this day he *loves* going to the groomer, even as he's now an old guy at age 12. Your kindness and gentle manner made all the difference.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Very well said Tom, the eerie silence and lack of thanks expressed in this thread towards the Kohls is concerning. The island has a way of opening its arms to new people and new ventures but unfortunately at times fails to appreciate the sacrifice folks make like the Kohls who come here and invest time, money, blood sweat and tears and bring their expertise to fill a critical niche in the community. The Kohls facility was much more than a professionally run Boarding and Grooming Facility. I remember what it was like before them as I look back on my 33 years of veterinary service to the island community. There was no service anything close to what the Kohls provided. It was exceedingly difficult for the Kohls to build a facility that provided excellent Boarding and Grooming services on par with any in Northern Michigan. On countless times, the Kohls and especially Andy aided me in the care and treatment of animals both large and small on the island, something I will most definitely miss as I continue to attempt to provide some level of veterinary service to the community. Beaver Island has lost an especially important cog in animal care service something that is already under tremendous pressure in many areas as the demand for veterinary and animal husbandry care has skyrocketed because of increased animal ownership during the pandemic.
Andy and Bill also allowed me to have a great location for my dogs Ella and Pippa and without them pet ownership for me would have been impossible. I cannot thank the Kohls enough for all the ways that they served the Island Community. Thanks Bill and Andy for all you have done for Beaver Island and the best of everything in your future.

Jeff Powers DVM
KJWhitecraft

Post by KJWhitecraft »

As a neighbor, I wish you the best. You certainly filled a void if you will. Living here for 22 years, well thank you..I wish you well,but we will go on.., which might be a good thing to share with new people. Wish you well .
K.J. Whitecraft
Terri C

Post by Terri C »

I am sorry I have not posted sooner. I am not good at good-byes. It would take pages and pages to express all the wonderful service we have received form Andy and Bill over the years.We do want to thank Andy and Bill for their wonderful service. Our dogs loved going there. Their tails would wag as soon as we pulled up in the driveway and they would bolt out of the car and run up to the building. They were so excited to be there and always got a loving welcome. Andy and Bill were so good with our dogs it’s gonna be a great loss for us. I have tears streaming down my face as I write this. I remember years ago when we had Xena our Brittany Spaniel and Bill had her out for playtime and she caught a live grouse and ran and presented it to Bill. He thought Xena was so cool! Bill and Andy genuinely loved our dogs and our dogs love them. Thank you Bill and Andy for all the years of wonderful care. When we lost our son in February and had to keep changing the dates to board Willow, because we did not know when John's body would be back to the United States, Bill was so kind and patient with us. After boarding Willow for 2 weeks he did not charge us anything. Bill and Andy are truly special people.I remember when Andy built the kennel, she spared no expense.We were so lucky to have such a state of the art kennel with heated floors and all. Thank you also to Kim who did the best job grooming Willow. Willow is always so excited to go see Kim. Charlie and I thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. You will be missed. Best of luck in the future. With love and gratitude, Charlie and Terri Carey ❤️
backwoodsbuccaneer

Post by backwoodsbuccaneer »

Existence on Beaver Island is like being a stone on a beach. Waves crash against us. Wearing us away as time encumbered shoulders toward its terminus with each sunset. Each wave brings new stones, depositing some of them on the shore to sand away their roughness, while others smash into jagged edges. Their pieces pulled in all directions by forces none escapes. No stone is unchanged. The waves will pull some of them back in a torrent, while others will be worn to sand, existing only as ghosts on the stones they collided with.

Ghosts wait in many forms. A kindly comment on the side walk. A card expressing thanks. Photos at the holidays, and sometimes salty comments from jagged little stones with ghosts of their own.
*revs trolling motor*