Beaver Island COA activity question

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Beaver Island COA

Beaver Island COA activity question

Post by Beaver Island COA »

Hello friends,
I am planning the Beaver Island Commission on Aging the 2021-2022 year budget and I have reviewed previous activities and events from the COA in the past. I would like to know which activities from the past clients would like to see again or suggestions for new activities. My goal is to have a diverse selection of activities available for the diverse age range of COA clients.
Current list includes:
1. Crafting days
2. Knitting/sewing or quilting
3. Balance, chair yoga classes
4. Ice cream social
5. Sept-April Sunday dinners
6. May-August Wednesday night cookouts (weather permitting)
7. Walking club
8. Sunsets at Donegal Bay
9. Trip to garden Island
10. Mainland day trip (Ideas include: Lunch at one of the county senior centers; visit farm markets in Charlevoix, Petoskey or Boyne City; Movie matinee; shopping trip; wine tasting tour; other)
11. Fishing trips; sunset cruises
12. Fall color tour
13. Pickle ball at county building
14. Attending summer Island events

Please call 448-2124 or email allenl@charlevoixcounty.org with recommendations or rejections. Must hear from you before Memorial Day. Again, please call 448-2124 or email allenl@charlevoixcounty.org with recommendations or rejections.
Grace and peace be with you,

Lonnie Allen
Site Coordinator, Beaver Island COA
Charlevoix County Beaver Island
Building coordinator/Maintenance assistant
(231) 448-2124
allenl@charlevoixcounty.org
Pam Grassmick

Re: Beaver Island COA activity question

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Thank you, Lonnie, for the suggested activities and all you wish to do for our over 60 crowd. One consideration is about the physical health of seniors. On the mainland COA community centers, they have offered senior foot care. Could COA expend some of the island COA tax funding toward that service? As people age and have physical constraints reaching their toes, they need this assistance. A foot clinic once a month would be awesome-perhaps pay the BIRHC. Just a reminder that COA needs a survey about the needs of the islanders. There are many needs over the years that islanders have expressed and COA could be instrumental in addressing.
McGrass
skasbaum

Re: Beaver Island COA activity question

Post by skasbaum »

Thank you for all your work and as a senior to be, I turn 60 this fall, I look forward to meeting you. I'm doing some yoga on my own so I think any of that is wonderful. I know it keeps my arthritis at bay and is such a good centering discipline. BTW, your jokes are fun too, anything to keep laughing!

Happy spring!
Scott