Wireless/Cell Phone AT&T or Verizon

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BMcCaw

Wireless/Cell Phone AT&T or Verizon

Post by BMcCaw »

I am considering switching my cell company from Verizon to AT&T.
I keep my landline because of limited signal @ my cottage. (Donegal Bay/McCauley's Point)

Thoughts on current island coverage...
Brendan McCaw
medic5740

Re: Wireless/Cell Phone AT&T or Verizon

Post by medic5740 »

There are those that speak highly of ATT, and those that speak highly of Verizon.

We have had both, and currently use Verizon. I also have a Verizon hot spot for my computer. The most reliable of the two is, once again, a personal opinion.

When I had ATT and my daughter had Verizon, we did a test drive around the island. Verizon won on that drive because she could access some mainland towers from places that I couldn't. So, we switched. I was able to use the mainland towers to live stream video from the South Head Lighthouse at a "This place matters" event down there.

Good luck on what you can get to work at your location.

Joe Moore
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

Joe,

Thank you for the information. I rarely use my cell when on the island but don't want to make a switch unless there is a decided advantage of one carrier over the other.

Brendan
Brendan McCaw
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Definitely Verizon best!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

What Richie said. I have much better luck with Verizon.
BradG

Post by BradG »

Understand there are places on the island where nothing works. We have Verizon, but on the East side drive below McCauleys hill we get no reception. Oh well, I’ll keep the eagles instead of cell phones.
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

Thanks to all of you for the input. Looks like I will keep Verizon...and my landline.
Brendan McCaw
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Keep your internet, get rid of your house phone and enable your cell to call through the web!! Very common. Go to your store for advice!
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

Verizon definitely has better coverage in the south end of the island, though still limited. No signal at all most of the time with my AT&T phone, my wife has Verizon, and can often get a weak signal.