Unique bent shaped trees on island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

meadefamily

Unique bent shaped trees on island

Post by meadefamily »

Does anyone know of the history of the many bent trees on the island? We had never noticed them during the summer. We made a trip around the island this week and enjoyed seeing the forest without all the leaves. One thing we noticed was on West drive there are many bent trees. We started taking pictures of the unique bends. I found many articles about bent trees in correlation to Indian history. I did find articles about curved trees and wind, and odd trunk trees and ice, but these trees have a distinctive bend. If anyone has history of this phenomenon I would love to learn more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/showmeoz.w ... egend/amp/
Gillespie

Re: Unique bent shaped trees on island

Post by Gillespie »

I think they are random, there are so many on the West Side! They point in many directions! Must have to do with the soils and the sunlight!
John Bolton

Re: Unique bent shaped trees on island

Post by John Bolton »

When I first arrived here in 1975, riding around with some true locals, they told me the area was called the “Rheumatism Forrest”
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin