Wanting to make permanent move to BI

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Jake&Heather

Wanting to make permanent move to BI

Post by Jake&Heather »

We are hoping to leave the down state hub-bub after 30 years working for "the man". We are both artist types and seeking clean air and quiet, to nurture our creative brains. I (jake) have family from the island, and have been several times while in the USCG, also with my kids years ago. Heather has not been to BI, but loves all things having to do with nature and wilderness. We have been stalking forever homes on the island, and hope to make a move in summer of 2021 once we have wrapped up loose ends down state. Any suggestions would be helpful for us to hone our skills for life in a kind community like only the island can offer. Thanks for being here :0).
Bob Sramek

Re: Wanting to make permanent move to BI

Post by Bob Sramek »

Please check out and consider becoming members of The Beaver Island Association at:

beaverislandassociation.org

to see some of the projects currently in the works for the island.
Jake&Heather

Post by Jake&Heather »

We'll check it out. Thanks Bob!
PScott

Post by PScott »

It’s an amazing community. It is welcoming to those who love the island, respect its traditions and, most importantly, give back to the community. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities and other ways to become involved in island life.

Wintertime is the best time to get to know folks as they are so incredibly busy during summertime.

I would encourage you to have her visit the island before making such a big decision. Beaver Island isn’t for everyone. A wise islander once said to me that you have to be able to entertain yourself and enjoy your own company.

Best wishes to you as you make your decision.
Trish Scott
Jake&Heather

Post by Jake&Heather »

Thank you, Trish- Definitely planning a visit in the next couple weeks.
Richards

Post by Richards »

Off-Season home for rent ~ available 10/15/2020 thru 6/15/2021

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3679 ... 1325_zpid/
Jake&Heather

Post by Jake&Heather »

Thanks for the info/link, this looks like a great place!
Jake&Heather

Post by Jake&Heather »

Hello again,

We are getting closer to our “get out of Jackson” date, and you know the saying, “Leap and the net will appear”? Well that is part of our plan…(Don’t worry we are not getting out of prison.) We will both be seeking employment on the island and look forward to being part of the community, but are not sure where or how to start this search, other than the google searches we have done. We have applied for the positions we have found online, but maybe someone here knows of something?

Both Heather and myself (Jake) continue our mission to make our way up to BI for keeps. This is after 30 years working for a utility in various electrical jobs, most recently inspecting high voltage wires from a helicopter. I am a licensed electrician with the state, and am familiar with ship board work from my time on the Mesquite and an icebreaker in the USCG. Heather has retail management experience, and has worked at a credit union as well.

We both are quiet types who would love to be a part of the close-knit, and slower paced life on the island. I have some family ties from the past (Al and Helen Dudzik) and always enjoyed visiting them on Beaver Island. We will also be searching for housing as we plan to make the move this summer, if the stars align just right.

Thank you for any input or ideas you may have to help us on our journey.
Jake&Heather

Post by Jake&Heather »

Just a little note of gratitude to everyone we crossed paths with on our island visit last week... we came to find jobs, housing, clarity, and a slice of vacation- people could not have been more wonderful! We are still on track to make the move in March! Thank you, we are grateful.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Jake
Your expertise as an electrician will be highly valued on island. Your skill is in great demand here.
With Adam Anderson gone, there is no one who can work on marine electrics.
Adding the jobs we seasonal residents need in our houses, you could easily stay busy as an electrical handyman.
Looking forward to your expertise being available.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
hermit

Post by hermit »

Just remember. The boat doesn’t run until mid April if your bringing up allot.
KateL

Post by KateL »

Hi Jake, I also used to work at a certain utility in Jackson. We just moved to the island full time in July and run a consulting firm working with utilities around the country. I’d love to connect sometime for a phone call. Shoot me an email so we can find a time: kleese@kineticscompany.com

Best,

Kate