Fall Colors

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

SKATINGFAMILY

Fall Colors

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

Hello Beaver Island residents, can someone please tell me when the fall colors usually are at their peak on the Island? I have been there in all four seasons but can't recall when the trees were at their best? Any factual reply would be much appreciated.
I'm Just The Messenger

Re: Fall Colors

Post by I'm Just The Messenger »

On Facebook from the Friends of Beaver Island (Chamber of Commerce) page..."Not much color on Beaver Island yet...come see us next week!
According to SmokyMountains.com, who released their annual fall colors forecast last week, Northern Lower Michigan and the Upper Peninsula are already seeing patchy colors. Northern Michigan is forecasted to be in peak fall colors from Sept. 21 to Oct. 5.
Here's what funintheup.com predicts...Southern UP
In the southern UP we still aren't seeing to much color, hints of changes here and there. Expect this area of the UP to be changing latest, even the second week of October might have some decent color left over. I would say by Oct 5th color should be pretty good, should be either side of peak color at this point. For your color drives in the southern UP I suggest just driving the backroads, get off the main highways to enjoy the color. You'll come across a lot of lakes and ponds that have decent color.
Overall 15%-30%
Peak will be Oct 3rd - Oct 12th."
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

Thank you for your link and response "I'm just the messenger" much appreciated.
esalveter

Post by esalveter »

The red maples are beautiful right now around Miller’s Marsh, Greens Lake, Fox Lake, and along the west end of Hannigan’s Road. I don’t think I have ever seen beautiful colors out of the Sugar Maples on Beaver Island, they just seem to stay green for a very long time.
Ed Salveter