Cell tower location

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jgoeke

Cell tower location

Post by jgoeke »

Hello, does anyone know the location of the Verizon cell tower on the island? Thanks
BeanieBeanstalk

Re: Cell tower location

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

There's a cell tower on Sloptown Rd , at the bend in the road, about half way to the Township Airport from Kings Hwy. I don't know if it's Verizon or not.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

The tower on Sloptown Road near the Stebbins and across the road from the former Graves' property is NOT a cell tower. This tower is the microwave tower that brings the TDS phone signal and the TDS Internet signal to Beaver Island.

The tower on Donegal Bay Road near the St. James Campground is a cell tower. The tower on the King's Highway, known as the old Peaine Township Hall, is also a cell tower.

As far as I know, there are two other towers on the island that could house cell phone antennas. One is the tower at the Peaine Fire Hall. The other is by Green's Lake. There is no cell phone coverage much south of these last two mentioned towers as far as I know.

Joe Moore
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

Thanks for the information. We have a seasonal home on French Bay Road. We get no AT&T signal at all, but sometimes get a single bar with Verizon. I bought a cell signal antenna/booster and want to try it out. I'm trying to determine which direction to aim it.
BIDL

Post by BIDL »

Sometimes clocks on Verizon phones will switch to Central time on the west shore. Could it be a signal from Wisconsin?
Beaver Island District Library
26400 Donegal Bay Road
PO Box 246
Beaver Island, MI 49782
(231) 448-2701
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

Are there any plans to improve service to the south end of the island?
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

BIDL wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:30 am Sometimes clocks on Verizon phones will switch to Central time on the west shore. Could it be a signal from Wisconsin?
Indeed, it could. Cell phone signal can skip a LONG ways across water when the conditions are right. From eastern Michigan, I have had my Verizon phone connect to a tower in Canada - 110 miles away - resulting in a rather large international roaming charge on my bill.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Contact Kevin Boyle at the Community Center. He always has helpful advise.
burton
Foxbat

Post by Foxbat »

I found this site which maps out the cellular towers on the Island:
http://www.cellreception.com/towers/tow ... ate_abr=mi

Clicking on the pins shows who owns/operates the tower. I hope this helps!
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

Thank you all for the information and ideas. I will post my results when I get to try out the new booster. I have AT&T service on my phone and my wife has Verizon. I can sometimes get an AT&T signal at Iron Ore Bay or at the south head lighthouse. I assume it travels across the lake from the Charlevoix area.
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

Just an update. I have a vacation home on North French Bay Road if I didn't mention the location in my earlier post. I am about a mile and a half from Iron Ore Bay. I brought up a cellular signal booster in August, which unreliably gave me one signal bar on Verizon, zero bars on AT&T. I put the antenna up about 20 feet. I have to conclude there is no way to really get a cell signal where I live, though we do have a lot of trees on our land. Just thought others who were considering this approach would like to know. The next step is satellite internet (Hughes Net, etc.). I read Amazon is going to launch a sat internet service in 2021, so hopefully the additional competition will bring the prices down.