Classic moment at BI Post Office

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Andy's Grooming Barn

Re: Classic moment at BI Post Office

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Watching this thread really is sad.....so one person, which doesn't even give his name, seems to feel he had a bad experience at a business on the island admitting that he was getting to the PO last minute and was inconvenienced. Working in customer service anywhere is very difficult but even more so I think on BI, many of us work several jobs during the summer because on BI that is when you actually get the work, this makes very long days and a lot of the people we are serving are on vacation, retired or here for the summer not on any type of schedule as the workers are so it should be easier for them to make sure they are coming in prior to right as a business is closing. Maybe as customers we should take that in to consideration that these workers often have little time off and/or another job they have to get to and their schedule that they are on is important as well. I myself know that I was receiving phone calls, texts and emails until 9pm last night and then the phone calls started back up at 7am this morning, all in the line of customer service. These workers that work so hard on BI are trying not to inconvenience you but give you the convivences that you want, please try to keep that in mind the next time you feel the need to post complaining about somebody that is working long days, if a business closes at a certain time and you want to go to it do not walk in last minute and inconvenience them.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Even though Walley guy is unknow to a lot of people, I’ll bet the postal worker that he is bashing know well who he is. What a sad statement that he thinks he was treated differently because he is not a full time resident. Anyone that KNOWS Beaver Island knows that is not true.
Nana

Post by Nana »

:D People coming to beaver island for the most part do understand BI folks have 2 or more jobs. A good %of vacationers also have 2 or more jobs all year. Some even are doing their jobs while vacationing. They are having to voice mail, email, or utilize the postal service to do their business all while trying to enjoy their well earned vacation. Most have deadlines to make to keep their bosses happy and keep their own jobs..
I do believe for the most part all people are Good people.. As I mentioned before perhaps if all would be willing to focus more on coming up with a solution peace maybe in the making..

Again, I am for the under dog. As the under dog may someday be you! :-k
Andy's Grooming Barn

Betty "Nana" if you are going to post at least have the curtesy to use your name. I understand you and Ed are working during the summers when you are here. I was not implying other people don't work on the island well here. I was implying that people should treat the customer service people with the same respect they wish to receive and Bob "Walleyguy" was not doing that by showing up last minute then making such a rude comment about the person on the forum. I am not sure what solution you are looking for but if there is one it might be show up before closing and not insult people on the forum.
Andy Kohls
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Just a one eyed observation from Cuba where my only mail is e-mail at this time. If this administration would spend the time, energy, funding and fixing the current USPS crisis as we good people of BI have spent on the minute local customer service issue, we would all be better off. I fully support the constitutionally founded postal system and all those essential workers risking their lives to deliver for us each and everyday, without interruption during this pandemic. That especially includes the postal workers on BI.
=D> =D> =D>
Skull&CrossBones
Nana

Post by Nana »

:lol: So Andy, I am not the only person on the form using a nick name..... Ed and I have 10 grandchildren who all call me Nana. ( I would think it to be a correct name to use. ) Vacation people I am talking about are not Ed and myself. There are many people who come to BI for vacation, spend good hard earn money and are still answering their cells, emails and utilizing the postal service to conduct their work while here. There is never a "WIN WIN" situation when someone's feeling are hurt......

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FOR THE UNDER DOG :perhaps both walleye and postal employee had their hearts in the right place.... and walleye did say he/she had been at post office several times..... patience is a virtual

Nice to know Andy you are able to retrieve info from the forum. There are educated folk ! We are all human. =; =; =;
esalveter

Post by esalveter »

Since my name was brought up, I decided I better chime in.

My vote goes with Walleyeguy. He was in line before closing time. It is not like he showed up after the door was locked and he wanted it unlocked.

Years ago, on the mainland, where I stay when I can’t be in Paradise, I rushed to the bank drive through after a long day at work, happy they were still open when I arrived. The bank tellers looked at me and laughed and let down their window blinds. I moved my business to a different bank. That bank went out of business. Today that building is a Doctor’s office. On the mainland, where there is competition, things have a way of taking care of themselves.

Just a few days ago, here on Beaver Island, I pulled in to get gas, and realized it was almost closing time. I apologized, and offered to come back the next day. They said “no problem, go ahead and get your gas”. With customer service like that, they will be in business for a long time, even if they do get competition some day.

Andy, I don’t want to pick a fight with you, but why did you single out my wife for criticism for not using her real name? The post was made by Walleyeguy. B I Pirate, Bucky Guy, Sour Grapes, hermit, and island living were among the people to reply. Only four of you used your full names.
Ed Salveter
Andy's Grooming Barn

Ed,
I will point out anyone that doesn't use their real name because hiding behind another name makes so people aren't accountable for what they say and that is the problem with this forum and why it gets so nasty, it makes all of the island look bad because it is allowed to happen. Also Ed it is obvious that you don't know both side of the story before you picked a side, sad that you would just jump to a conclusions. I asked questions and got the other sides information before I made my decision. Bob Walleyguy came in after the office was closed, the only reason the window was still open was because they were finishing up helping a lady. The post office does have strict rules the employees have to follow and one of them is scanning out a package after hours, it isn't a private business like a bank or gas station but a federal business. Also by the way...I do use a nick name (not an alias as most do here) it is one that everyone knows me by as I am not afraid to say what I think I don't need to hide who I am to voice my opinion.
No fight picking here I don't mind you asking.
Andy Kohls
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

This thread is so like the beginning of a bad joke. "Guys walks into a ....". Andy, I agree with you. Can I point out the underdog is a nameless man using a fish for his name? If you look at his past post, they for the most part are complaints. He likes to stir the pot. I have no clue who the lady he helped is, who he is or who the worker is, but this thread is ridiculous. For him to make a statement about how a local would have been treated was accusatory and leaves a bad message for visitors. What about the worker?? How would any of us feel if we were accused of things by someone who cant even identify who he is. Humans behaving badly, 2020.
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

67871530_10157471381807863_5699403275166547968_n.jpg
67871530_10157471381807863_5699403275166547968_n.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 13623 times