FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

steveandelaineonbeaver

Re: FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

JFPowers wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:08 pm Right on Steve!

I talked today to a Fireworks Wholesaler, their sales are up over 500%! So there will likely be fireworks blasting off all over the island just without any “governmental oversight”

I hear a rumor that their will also be a large private fireworks show that will rival previous shows :D
I should have known – private enterprise wins the day. However – I’ll bet if the boards reversed their bad decision at a special meeting and task BI’s outstanding Fire Dept with “puttin on a show”, It could be done. USA, USA, USA. :D
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Steve. Will you be attending the fireworks? Just asking for a friend.
hermit

Post by hermit »

There will be fireworks downtown. Maybe at homes or on the beaches. It amazes me how afraid people are. If you don’t want to come out. Pretty simple.
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Beaver Islanders are smart not afraid as you are portraying them. We come from a long list of patriotic people. You must be English Hermit.
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Everyone should check the boat company’s policy for transporting fireworks especially the hermit.
MikeHager

Post by MikeHager »

Ditto Steve and Jeff!
hermit

Post by hermit »

So much hostility in your tone sandpiper. Pretty funny. There have been private fireworks on the island forever. Amazing how they just miraculously appear every year.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

New Studies that indicate the virus is way more widespread than reported are listed here. Of those positive in North Carolina only 0.4% were previously reported as positive and the vast majority of newly detected cases report either no symptoms or extremely mild symptoms.

https://news.psu.edu/story/623797/2020/ ... originally

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/antibo ... /19150903/

At some point communities will have to go back to making decisions based on what is best for the community as a whole, not basing their decision on overhyped, inaccurate COVID fears.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Jeff - I agree with you but maybe you should send this to the Governor because our communities are just following her order. The boards had to make a call and they choose to follow what the Governor directed, why are we faulting them for that? I am pretty sure most of them didn't want to do it but it is what it is.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

The data simply indicate that decision makers everywhere need to fairly soon get a new thought process started regarding what we do or don't do simply based on covid.

As for the governor more and more communities are adding fireworks so others are interpreting rules differently that is obvious. East Jordan South Arm yacht club just added one a couple days ago. The information was posted because you won't see it on the news they are too busy trying to hold on to whatever fears they can promote in many cases.
steveandelaineonbeaver

JFPowers wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 am The data simply indicate that decision makers everywhere need to fairly soon get a new thought process started regarding what we do or don't do simply based on covid.

As for the governor more and more communities are adding fireworks so others are interpreting rules differently that is obvious. East Jordan South Arm yacht club just added one a couple days ago. The information was posted because you won't see it on the news they are too busy trying to hold on to whatever fears they can promote in many cases.
At some point folks need to stand up to a Gov who is forcing what might be in order for three (3) MI counties on the whole state. Social distancing at a harbor fireworks display in a no brainer. Jeff is correct as are many others. We are planning our visit for next summer. Best wishes to all. Steve
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Bob

Post by Bob »

Jeff has a reason to disagree as he has a large financial interest in Beaver Island. Steve just wants to bash the governor of Michigan even though he lives elsewhere and has no reason to continue to pontificate.
Bob
steveandelaineonbeaver

Gosh Bob – I see you were able to read my name & address that appear at the bottom of all my posts. Do you have a last name?

I lived on Beaver Island for 20 years and plan to return for vacation. I hope you won’t mind if I express my opinion from time to time.
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Bob

Post by Bob »

I really think your political opinions should be directed to where you vote.
Bob
hermit

Post by hermit »

People that own property there and or live there full time or part time certainly have a voice.