FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JPike

Re: FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Post by JPike »

Yet, here you are Dumpster Chicken! So now your stance is that a board’s decision cannot be challenged/debated? So, again, your affiliation with BI is what? Medical credentials? Again, I’m not an MD....enlighten me with your knowledge of C19 mitigation with ASYMPTOMATIC people, outdoors, and distanced at a voluntary event?
Jared Pike
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Dumpster Chicken has devastated me.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Here is all they had to do have a little faith in the public.............

From Mackinac Island Tourism

Governor Whitmer officially announced today the extension to Michigan’s State of Emergency until July 16 as a means to continue the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic and mitigating chances for a second wave. As the island continues to open back up, we would like to once again remind our residents, business owners and employees of the importance of remaining vigilant about maintaining social distancing guidelines, and continuing to enforce the use of masks in all enclosed public spaces.

It’s official...with City Council’s approval, the annual Fourth of July fireworks display WILL return this year! Visitors and residents will be able to view the fireworks, scheduled to begin just after 10 p.m., along the expansive boardwalk and Windermere Point. Viewers are asked to please maintain social distancing procedures throughout the event’s duration. As previously announced, we are also excited to host the 2020 Mackinac Island Stone Skipping Tournament on Independence Day. Celebrating its 52nd year, the competition is set to take place on Saturday, July 4 at 12:00 p.m. at Windermere Point Beach.

This marks an incredibly important weekend for the island, and we are thrilled to be keeping these traditions alive this season!
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

How does Mackinac Island plan to manage to keep the event to under 250 people per the gov. order? Did they announce anything of what they are doing to manage this event? I think with the fireworks that would be the hardest to try to manage the people and follow the gov order, I am very sad it has been cancelled but also understand. I am sad the music fest is cancelled because in their case they could have managed how many people were going to be at the event and follow the law. Things are so difficult right now and everyone is trying to do what they are suppose to, it is very easy to sit back and judge what decisions the boards are making but when you are one of the people that have to make those decisions and follow the guidelines/laws of our governor it is a hard decision to make.....
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I was at MacKinac’s fireworks last year, it was practically socially distanced then, as Beavers is basically every year.

It is really not a big leap to apply social distancing measures to ANY Beaver Island event, you’re all just not getting enough mainland exposure to understand what the rest of the area is doing.

You’re canceling what are in reality very small events, the only events the island has when with proper safety precautions they could occur.
MikeHager

Post by MikeHager »

Too bad about the cancelled fireworks. If science and data were used to make the decision on Mackinaw Island and BI, why the different outcomes? Mackinaw Island is far more crowded than BI. Perhaps the townships will reconsider their decision.
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

It’s better to be safe than sorry. It’s not like anyone is going to die because they don’t get to see fireworks.
Fish Camp

Post by Fish Camp »

Are they social distancing and wearing masks at the Shamrock, Dalwhinnie's, etc. Asking for a friend.
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Get over it. :roll:

COVID-19 is real. I am so over the judging and comparing us to other Islands. If being cautious saves lives then it is worth it. Michigan is getting it right. The leaders of BI are getting it right. Let's just hope them when you come back you respect the social distancing. I understand, it seems so surreal, that is until you have it or a loved one does. I would rather live with the regret of missing a year of activities than a lifetime of regret losing a loved one.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Fish camp makes perhaps the most important comment in this whole thread. On a place like Beaver Island where there are limited activities to engage in and you cancel two outdoor events such as fireworks observation which takes perhaps 45 minutes and is one of the easiest events to socially distance at, where are people going to go? On the fourth of July with almost always the largest number of people on the island will many fill up indoor venues where the chance of catching coronavirus is increased? I doubt the "leaders" put a lot of thought into that concept that by pressuring outdoor events to cancel, will they infact drive more people to attend indoor locations for night activities.
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

jeff, you seriously believe that if they hold a 1/2 hour fireworks event that will stop the bars from filling? You are missing the point. Your anology just comfirms that the right choice was made, as less are now likely to come to town. Hopefully people will gather in small groups and the bars will be thinner.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Time will tell.... most who came to watch the fireworks only were usually “socially distancing” anyway before it became a key “societal behavioral benchmark”
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

JFPowers wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 am Time will tell.... most who came to watch the fireworks only were usually “socially distancing” anyway before it became a key “societal behavioral benchmark”
Right on Jeff! Indeed “social distance” is easy to maintain all around the harbor for the fireworks. If some folks choose to “pack” the bar before and after that’s their decision to make.

The shame here is that Viceroy Wretched has saddled MI with decrees that may be appropriate for three (3) counties – NOT the whole state. Sadly both townships’ leadership apparently have decided to avoid the Governor’s wrath. There is still time to urge the local elected to change their mind.

NOW ……comes Ken & Kirk telling me to go back to the SC swamp and extolling the virtues of The Gov.
:D
Steve
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Right on Steve!

I talked today to a Fireworks Wholesaler, their sales are up over 500%! So there will likely be fireworks blasting off all over the island just without any “governmental oversight”

I hear a rumor that their will also be a large private fireworks show that will rival previous shows :D
Last edited by JFPowers on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

For those that don't know the facts in this situation, I'd like to suggest that you read the township boards' minutes. Both township boards voted to cancel the fireworks. The money for the fireworks comes from the two townships. It makes no difference what your political slant is; if you were so concerned about this, why weren't you contacting the township boards and making your suggestions or complaints to them.

There is no way to get the fireworks put back on unless both township boards make that decision, sign a contract with the display company, and have a special board meeting to agree to make this happen.

And, if you think this will happen in the next 12 days, I think you are just wasting your time. Complaining hasn't accomplished much here on this forum, do you think?

Just my opinion,

Joe Moore