The pack of wolves I saw today

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Fschoo

The pack of wolves I saw today

Post by Fschoo »

Hi all y’all, Patty Schoonbeck here,
Today, St. Patrick’s Day, around 7pm, I noticed 5 wolves walking the ice! I went out on the deck with my binoculars and saw them walking between here at Mc Faddens Point and High Island ( closer to us than High Island.) They were about as far out as the Points. I got a pretty good video and we are certain it was a pack of 5 wolves. They heard me yell at them and immediately ran towards High Island, and I thought that’s where they were headed, but then I saw them passing the North point, heading around the Island. I’ll contact the DNR. Fred said he heard a segment on a Upper Penninsula hunting and fishing show, saying they were concerned about the return of the gray wolves. FYI stay safe, don’t go walking in the woods with a huge basket of cookies and baked goods, wearing a red cape. Fred says don’t wear your bacon and pig hock suit while out on a early spring stroll.
Gillespie

Re: The pack of wolves I saw today

Post by Gillespie »

They had to have been coyotes!
WannaBeIslander

Post by WannaBeIslander »

Have you posted the video anywhere? I would love to see it!!!
Fschoo

Post by Fschoo »

I looked at the video a few more times and y'all are right. Coyotes.
Fish Camp

Post by Fish Camp »

Thanks, Fschoo. You da man.
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

Heard that coyotes have actually been breeding with wolves in some places. The resulting offspring is a larger, sometimes more aggressive animal called a ‘coywolf’.