Internet

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

esahlquist

Internet

Post by esahlquist »

Hi,

We are planning on getting WiFi for our cottage but TDS tells us that the best they can provide is Express DSL, 5 Mbps Is there another provider on the island?

Thanks,

Emily
jmedlin

Re: Internet

Post by jmedlin »

I don't know, is satellite still the only alternative? I get 15Mbps at my place way out in the woods so you should be able to get that most places one would think. It looked like they were putting in some new lines last year but I haven't heard what for or when it will be available. Who knows because it's a good question?
Wendy White

Post by Wendy White »

Great Lakes energy was supposed to be hooking the island up to Truestream fiber-optic high speed internet I think be sometime this year. I just got hooked up in Petoskey and I know GLE had the island on their map of what areas were next to be hooked up. Is this still happening over there? Or did the demand sizzle out?
Magician

Post by Magician »

If I were you, I would tether your phone to start out, if you have the option. Go to the GLE website and register for the new service they are hooking up. The more people that register, the sooner it will happen. You could sign up with TDS, if you are getting a landline anyway, but the speed is about 5-10 mps. The GLE line is supposed to deliver up to 100mps. with fiber optics. I'm thinking the pricing will be comparable to TDS- we pay about $70 a mo. for that + the phone line. Come to about $105 a mo. together.
Hope Springs
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

We have registered with Truestream to express our interest. The webpage to do the same is: https://www.jointruestream.com/front_end/zones (Truestream from GLE)

With unlimited voice, wifi extender, battery backup, and 1000 Mbps/Gig, the monthly cost would be $134.98, plus a $75 install fee - at our location. Obviously lower without phone and booster, and there were two smaller capability selections available. The battery backup had install fee but is $0 monthly.

Important to see that Beaver Island is 12% to the goal of interested users, toward making their next step. Can others please participate, if interested/able? Even if you already have service that you are okay with, is going bigger alluring? Registration/interest expression can be completed on your smartphone.

Excellent service will allow business people to work remotely, accept work-from-home jobs (and move to the island for many many who already work from home), and also extend seasonal stays... I'd bet that getting this Truestream would also light a fire under TDS and maybe ATT to get their rears in gear, as well.

Here are notes upon registering, today:
"Please note, Truestream options are under review for Beaver Island but will differ from mainland service. We will update you when we have more information! 
We know there is a great deal of excitement about Truestream from all Great Lakes Energy members, so please know that we are diligently planning and evaluating the scope and timelines for the project. Many factors will help determine plans for the project, and pre-registration by Great Lakes Energy members is one of those factors. To pre-register, please complete the form below and then rally your neighbors to register too. Registration does not obligate you for service at this time, however it allows us to identify your needs and keep you informed of construction plans and progress as we move forward in the coming years. Thank you for your interest and patience!" and... "… Please note, Truestream options are under review for Beaver Island but will differ from mainland service. We will update you when we have more information. Thank you!"

Great to know of this potential source - thank you Wendy White, and the others - for bringing up the topic again!

Megan Tuohy Anderson
esahlquist

Post by esahlquist »

I registered!!